olympus epl-5

Started Jun 24, 2013 | Discussions
paul cool
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
olympus epl-5
Jun 24, 2013

just purchased  a epl-5 how will this do for a pocketable camera also the deal at the moment is a free 17mm pancake so I couldn't resist ? this will hopefully be back up for my gh3 when  I don't need zooms and bulk ,sorry talking of m43 and bulk does not seem true but it can add up .I have heard bad things of olys menus and great things of ooc jpegs cant wait for those .also will i need a view finder, like the idea of v4 looks like a big viewer which is good for composition,  any tips would be great I wonder if  my zukio 135mm lens behaves better on the Olympus with ibis although only 3 axis must help .

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,549
Like?
Re: olympus epl-5
In reply to paul cool, Jun 24, 2013

paul cool wrote:

just purchased a epl-5 how will this do for a pocketable camera

Depends on the size of your pockets and your expectations. Since you have one, feel free to try.

also the deal at the moment is a free 17mm pancake so I couldn't resist ?

Ok

this will hopefully be back up for my gh3 when I don't need zooms and bulk

Ok

,sorry talking of m43 and bulk does not seem true but it can add up .

If you say so. Perhaps you need more exercise - see the tips below.

I have heard bad things of olys menus and great things of ooc jpegs cant wait for those

Ok

.also will i need a view finder,

That depends on if you think you need a view finder

Since you have a GH3, are using this as a backup, and are so  concerned about bulk and pocket-ability, I'm going to say "no"

like the idea of v4 looks like a big viewer which is good for composition,

It probably won't help you fit things into a pocket. The primary reason to buy a PL5 over something slightly smaller is the fold out screen - you might want to give that a try.

any tips would be great

Don't eat yellow snow

Eat more vegetables. Spinach might be good.

Get more exercise

Learn to use paragraphs, punctuation and structured writing techniques

I wonder if my zukio 135mm lens behaves better on the Olympus with ibis although only 3 axis must help .

That probably won't fit into your pocket, and I'm going to guess that it might add bulk.

In all seriousness, enjoy your PL5 - it's great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,388Gear list
Like?

paul cool wrote:

just purchased a epl-5 how will this do for a pocketable camera also the deal at the moment is a free 17mm pancake so I couldn't resist ? this will hopefully be back up for my gh3 when I don't need zooms and bulk ,sorry talking of m43 and bulk does not seem true but it can add up .I have heard bad things of olys menus and great things of ooc jpegs cant wait for those .also will i need a view finder, like the idea of v4 looks like a big viewer which is good for composition, any tips would be great I wonder if my zukio 135mm lens behaves better on the Olympus with ibis although only 3 axis must help .

Congratulations!

The EPL5 is an excellent complement to your GH3. You can set it up to have all the necessary adjustments at your fingertips, without having to menu dive for anything. In addition, you can activate the Super Control Panel, which is a quick menu that allows rapid access to most menu parameters.

(You should look at the info guides by Guy Parsons about setting up the EPL5 for use; his Oly setup pages start here: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/01-epl1-menu.html )

Only you know if you need a viewfinder or not....I have the VF-4 on my EPM2, and it is absolutely fabulous.  It is a much nicer viewfinder in all ways than the one on the GH3, which I also have used for a  while.  The VF-4 is the single best EVF I have tried on any camera yet....definitely worth the investment if you use them.

Long lenses at very low shutter speeds will be helped some by the IBIS, although it's not as effective as OIS or the 5-axis IBIS in the OMD.  I'd experiement with it and see if it makes a difference for you in your shooting situations...

The Oly menus are not as straightforward as the Panasonic ones, but they are not that bad.  You should be able to set up the camera to your liking within a very short period of playing around with it....

Enjoy your new camera!

-J

paul cool
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jun 24, 2013

is the 17mm pancake any good ?

thanks for the guy parsons link

the zukio 135mm f2.8 is small for this type of  lens ,it only requires a 55 mm filter so not huge

but a heavy construction build  all metal and built in hood

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,388Gear list
Like?

paul cool wrote:

I have not used it, but the 17mm f2.8 is generally regarded as one of the softer lenses for M43.  Stopped down it's ok, from what I recall reading, and some copied perform better than others....

thanks for the guy parsons link

the zukio 135mm f2.8 is small for this type of lens ,it only requires a 55 mm filter so not huge

but a heavy construction build all metal and built in hood

I've used the 100-300mm on my EPM2, as well as some heavier legacy lenses, and I just hold the whole setup by the lens body, with my left hand, rather than holding the weight of it on the camera grip.  It works well that way, even though it looks kind of silly

-J

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?
This isn't Twitter (thank God)
In reply to markintosh13, Jun 24, 2013

Where people avoid using proper English as much as possible.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
paul cool
Like?
Re: This isn't Twitter (thank God)
In reply to RichRMA, Jun 24, 2013

RichRMA wrote:

Where people avoid using proper English as much as possible.

too true

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

jalywol wrote:

paul cool wrote:

I have not used it, but the 17mm f2.8 is generally regarded as one of the softer lenses for M43. Stopped down it's ok, from what I recall reading, and some copied perform better than others....

It is best shot at 4.0-5.6 I remember reading. The lens has its defenders but it also has many critics.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
paul cool
Like?
In reply to markintosh13, Jun 24, 2013

markintosh13 wrote:

paul cool wrote:

just purchased a epl-5 how will this do for a pocketable camera

Depends on the size of your pockets and your expectations. Since you have one, feel free to try.

also the deal at the moment is a free 17mm pancake so I couldn't resist ?

Ok

this will hopefully be back up for my gh3 when I don't need zooms and bulk

Ok

,sorry talking of m43 and bulk does not seem true but it can add up .

If you say so. Perhaps you need more exercise - see the tips below.

I have heard bad things of olys menus and great things of ooc jpegs cant wait for those

Ok

.also will i need a view finder,

That depends on if you think you need a view finder

Since you have a GH3, are using this as a backup, and are so concerned about bulk and pocket-ability, I'm going to say "no"

I have two pockets although not as deep as the 250 pounds needed to buy it ,price is almost as much as the camera costs so will hang fire for the moment.

like the idea of v4 looks like a big viewer which is good for composition,

It probably won't help you fit things into a pocket. The primary reason to buy a PL5 over something slightly smaller is the fold out screen - you might want to give that a try.

any tips would be great

Don't eat yellow snow

Eat more vegetables. Spinach might be good.

Get more exercise

Learn to use paragraphs, punctuation and structured writing techniques

im just lazy where punctuation and structured writing is concerned oh hum ,

and don't wipe your bum on a stinging nettle

love spinach

and I don't do excercise

I wonder if my zukio 135mm lens behaves better on the Olympus with ibis although only 3 axis must help .

That probably won't fit into your pocket, and I'm going to guess that it might add bulk.

In all seriousness, enjoy your PL5 - it's great.

ok

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
paul cool
Like?
In reply to traveler_101, Jun 24, 2013

well at least it will make the Olympus a more compact  camera

I will probably use my pana leica 25mm f1.4 with the Olympus its my smallest lens ,and my only other prime is the pana leica 45mm f2,8 although about the same size as the 25mm .

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Edward Lowy
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

jalywol wrote:

I've used the 100-300mm on my EPM2, as well as some heavier legacy lenses, and I just hold the whole setup by the lens body, with my left hand, rather than holding the weight of it on the camera grip. It works well that way, even though it looks kind of silly

-J

Quite right. Have used my 43rds 70-300 on my EPL2 with the same technique for some time, no problem at all - and pretty good results I have to say.

Edward

Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +4 more
paul cool
Like?
In reply to Edward Lowy, Jun 24, 2013

Edward Lowy wrote:

jalywol wrote:

I've used the 100-300mm on my EPM2, as well as some heavier legacy lenses, and I just hold the whole setup by the lens body, with my left hand, rather than holding the weight of it on the camera grip. It works well that way, even though it looks kind of silly

-J

Quite right. Have used my 43rds 70-300 on my EPL2 with the same technique for some time, no problem at all - and pretty good results I have to say.

Edward

its good practise to support lens with the other hand it helps stability

if I use the epl-5 with my 100-300mm i can mount the lens to a  tripod.

i  use a German  made collar tripod adaptor  www.r-Roche.de

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads