Nikon D3200 body vs Nikon D7000 body + savings of $430 in both bodies

Started Jun 22, 2013 | Discussions
PsychoPowers
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Nikon D3200 body vs Nikon D7000 body + savings of $430 in both bodies
Jun 22, 2013

Quick and simple questions. I'm debating whether which camera body to get. I'm really on the fence leaning towards the Nikon D7000, but looking at my lens lineup I have, Tokina 12-24 dx II (which has the BIM + Nikon 35 f/1.8 and that if I really need the convenience features of the D7000 + better build quality. I'm not here to start a war, or complaining this feature on the D7000 is better than the D3200 or anything like that, just wanted to get some real perspectives, savings of $430 and whether its justifiable or is it just "hype". Real world usage and what things come into play vice versa.

I'm not really worried about the image quality, because both cameras are about the same, only that the D7000 has advantages are: better ISO coverage, faster fps, bkt shooting, faster focusing, dual card SD slots, dual wheel control, more focus points and cross type focus points that's really all I can think of.

Should I save about $430 and get the D3200 body or should I really just value that $430 "semi-pro esk" features plus build quality on the Nikon D7000?

My main primary photography I do is, Nature/landscape photography, and little bit of product photography (car shoots) and that's it. Also is more "cross type focus points" really all that significant!?

Arghhh I don't know.

Here my calculations: (Prices from BH Photo)

-- hide signature --

Nikon D3200 = $ 550 Body + 18-55mm lens (Then I would sell it on CL for roughly $80) then it'll put me at $470. Maybe and possibly getting a grip as well, but we'll leave that out for now.

--Nikon D7000 = $900 body only.

Any help or your thoughts are appreciated! Happy summer!

Nikon D3200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D3200 body vs Nikon D7000 body + savings of $430 in both bodies
In reply to PsychoPowers, Jun 22, 2013

If you shoot with any of the auto features (P,S,A modes, auto ISO) then either of the cameras will suit you, and I would recommend the D3200 for size and pixels. If you like to shoot manual then only the D7000 should be considered.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Displaynamehere
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
In reply to PsychoPowers, Jun 22, 2013

D3200 is a fine camera. Get it, learn it, shoot it, save the money and have fun.

Ignore the stereotypes you will read on the forums that will place and keep you in the "beginner" category based on what body you shoot.

Displaynamehere's gear list:Displaynamehere's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to PsychoPowers, Jun 23, 2013

Hi.

You listed (some) of the advantage  of the D7000.

The quistion is, do you need those advantage in your fotojob - then it is the D7000.

If not, why offer the difference - buy the D3200.

Beginners level? - I don't know - I visited a professionel photographer having some ID-Photos.

He used the D3200 handheld - and they were just fine.

By the way, one of those advantage to the D7000, you didn't mentioned, was the ability to auto-focus older AF-lenses. Thats was a must to me. (Together with the two-wheels settings.)

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
zamorac
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?

PsychoPowers wrote:

My main primary photography I do is, Nature/landscape photography, and little bit of product photography (car shoots) and that's it. Also is more "cross type focus points" really all that significant!?

Look at it this way:

1. D3200 + $430 worth of gas to get to places to shoot landscapes.

2. D7000 + $0 = staying at home and spending your time reading DPR forum.

It's nice having two wheels and cross type focus points, but it's not relevant for the type of shooting you said would be doing. I'm in similar decison now and will probably go for D3200 and spend extra money on good glass. Maybe I'll wait till the end of the year to see what D3300 brings and decide between D3200 vs D3300, but I can't justify spending money on high end body when it could be spent on lenses, strurdier tripod etc.

photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?

If you enjoy the technical aspects of photography, I'd advise against the D3200.

In a 1-2 years, you will be wanting to upgrade again probably to a camera that has in body motor, LCD and 2 control dials.

If, on the other hand - you don't see yourself wanting to upgrade later - by all means, go for the D3200.

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to PsychoPowers, Jun 24, 2013

I bought the D7000 because I knew I would not be happy with the limitations a lesser body would  imposes on my photography. Since you have to ask, get the D3200 now, and  get a more advanced body when you feel you need it to impress yourself, and not to impress others.

-Jon,

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
sr71
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

Which body you had before?
If you can live with the small Viewfinder and the small body I think the D3200 also
can get good image quality. I don't see anything substantial the D3200 can not do. HDR is anyway crap on Nikon and for Bracketing you can do manually as well.
The D3200 is also light and a nice camera. For holiday pictures and family photos - usual stuff
it is perfect. For art it anyway does not matter - the idea and set up is more interesting that
the technical stuff (otherwise there would not be award winning photos made with Holgas or Lomos).
Or buy a used D7000 if you need it for feeling better. YOu can save maybe 30% on a new.

KakoW
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?

Try them inside the store. Can you adjust the camera fast enough so you can land the shot? Do you like the grip? The viewfinder?

You'll know when you have them in your hand.

If you might get wet, the weathersealing might save you. The 3200 is lighter and more compact. You'll have to try to make that choice.

KakoW's gear list:KakoW's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
FLASH!
In reply to PsychoPowers, Jun 26, 2013

Don't forget the D7000 has a built in flash commander. You mentioned nature and product photography. Both allow for amazing images if you use off camera flash. Now that CAN be done with a simple inexpensive flash unit in manual mode, but it's much easier with Nikon CLS and on top of that you get access to FP Sync.

Only one issue with fully recommending the D7000. I've held off buying one and stuck with the D90 because too many people have reported focus and oil splatter issues with the D7000 for me to ignore it. If I could somehow guarantee I'd get a decent D7000 body I think I'd be more interested in spending the money. My current plan for upgrade is to wait until at least the end of the year to see what the price of the D7100 is like then. At that point I may jump in or I might wait some more to buy a D7100 on close out a year later. A lot depends on how long my D90 cameras live because while they've been pretty awesome so far they are getting older.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads