Sigma Lens For Landscape Shooting?

Started Jun 22, 2013 | Discussions
BPB
BPB
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
Sigma Lens For Landscape Shooting?
Jun 22, 2013

What is the best Sigma lens available for landscapes?

Now I know I will get all sorts of rebukes for asking such an open ended question but please give me a little leeway.

I ask the question with the following considerations,

I am asking in this Forum deliberately as I believe that I will get more unbiased answers than in any of the “lens” Forums.

1) It MUST be a Sigma lens.

2) It needs to be sharp throughout the frame.

3) Give accurate colours.

4) Can be DX or FX

5) I shoot Nikon D300 and also (when I get back to the UK) my new SD15, so could be in either mount. Depends which body is best at landscapes I guess.

There are other factors to consider I know, but some pointers from those of you who have practical experience of lenses, good or bad, for this situation would be very much appreciated.

I currently use the Sigma 12-24mm Nikon mount and the Nikon 16-85mm VR, but I would like to improve on these lenses.

It would also be good to hear about which lenses to avoid and why.

Thanks,

Bryan (BPB)

Nikon D300 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?
Re: Sigma Lens For Landscape Shooting?
In reply to BPB, Jun 22, 2013

If I had a full frame camera, I would grab the Sigma 35mm F1.4 and never let go. This is one of the best lenses ever made, and 35mm is a good FL for landscapes on FF. Not so good on APS-C, but landscapes are not necessarily done best with wide angles.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,428Gear list
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, Jun 22, 2013

I like my 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
anfat
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to BPB, Jun 22, 2013

I'm waiting for the new 18-35...

anfat's gear list:anfat's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,090Gear list
Like?
In reply to BPB, Jun 23, 2013

It really depends on your landscape shooting style and the types of landscapes you like to shoot. I have the Sigma 8-16mm, 18-50mm 2.8 EX, 10mm 2.8 fisheye (mostly for weddings) and the 12-24mm (old design). I will also use my 70mm 2.8 Macro and the 50-150mm 2.8 if I want to isolate my subject. The DP2M is also a wonderful landscape camera.

I guess my fave is the 8-16mm, but it is a very demanding lens and really needs to be focused manually for best results.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!

My PBase Galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
BPB
BPB
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
In reply to SigmaChrome, Jun 23, 2013

Thank you for your response. I have uploaded a few shots to an album in my gallery to show you some of the subjects I like to shoot.,

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1733095923/albums/landscapes

They were all taken with my Nikon D300, I am still have to get back to and get my new SD15 into service.

The lenses used include,

Sigma 12-24mm earlier version, not Mk 11.

Nikon 16-84mm VR

Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro

Sigma 120-400mm OS

Some are nef to jpeg without any pp at all while others have some pp.

Please feel free to look and add any further lens advice that you feel applies.

I know my techniques need much improvement so please CC as you see it. I am working with restricted computer hardware at the moment (we got hit by lightning recently) and I do not have access to calibrated monitors at the moment, so not sure what the images will actually look like.

Thanks again for your input.

Bryan (BPB)

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,407Gear list
Like?
The mapping...
In reply to BPB, Jun 24, 2013

BPB wrote:

Thank you for your response. I have uploaded a few shots to an album in my gallery to show you some of the subjects I like to shoot.,

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1733095923/albums/landscapes

They were all taken with my Nikon D300, I am still have to get back to and get my new SD15 into service.

The lenses used include,

Sigma 12-24mm earlier version, not Mk 11.

Nikon 16-84mm VR

Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro

Sigma 120-400mm OS

Some are nef to jpeg without any pp at all while others have some pp.

Please feel free to look and add any further lens advice that you feel applies.

I know my techniques need much improvement so please CC as you see it. I am working with restricted computer hardware at the moment (we got hit by lightning recently) and I do not have access to calibrated monitors at the moment, so not sure what the images will actually look like.

Thanks again for your input.

Bryan (BPB)

That was a pretty interesting set, from the standpoint of range... it seemed like around an equal number of 16mm, 38mm, and 70mm stuff (with a bit more of the wider lengths).

My diagnosis is a DP-3M, and a 18-35mm lens (if the D300 is not full frame, forget if it is or not).  For a full-frame, you should keep using the 12-24 but also add the 35mm f/1.4...  that seems to be the best wide angle they have currently.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745
Like?
Re: The mapping...
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jun 24, 2013

Outside of the new 18-35 f1.8, which hasn't been released yet, there aren't any Sigma wide angle lenses that are sharp to the extreme corners. I solve that problem by pano stitching using the Sigma 70mm macro at f5.6 and shooting as many panels as needed. Works fine, unless you have a lot of fast moving objects like clouds or trees on a windy day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads