LF1 Gallery of Professinal Street Photos by Jesse Marlow

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to James Pilcher, Jun 23, 2013

That's ok, the LX-7 is a hell of a camera, ask Charlie Waite and friends. But...... you can't put it in your shirt pocket and it doesn't have an EVF (even if some people aren't happy with the quality, at least you have it to check the picture in bright sunlight) and it goes to 200mm, not bad for a little whipper snapper. Just consider a baby LX-7...

 Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
claudemc
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to Drewpy, Jun 23, 2013

that's why I'm not happy with LF1, it's not a baby LX7, If it was I would keep it;

I tested a bit more this afternoon, white balance issues, EVF bring nothing to me (it is very unconfortable, maybe presbytie is my problem), dynamic range is OK, corner quality too,

but when you take a shot, the picture you took appears a bit after the shot, so it's like a Tango, you see the picture going back to alf a second before the image you see on screen, it's the first time I see it.

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

panorama is only one way (left to right) and the quality is not really impressive (less than sony HX?V)

No manual setting for video (it's confirmed in the PDF manual present on the CD)

the only thing i can't complain is the quality of portraits at 200mm.

a bit disapointed by the definition, P7700 does really better, it's a bit BSI CMOS washed effect.

It's really a shame panasonic forget LX7 functions like shutter setting in video or colour fine setting, EVF was an excellent idea but IMHO they didn't tested it with 50 years old eyes, even to playback it's not useful for me, the only thing maby is energy saving...

So LX7 for 24mm F1.4,  RX100 for definition in a compact body, LF1 for 200mm good IQ and really intuitive settings and S110 for compact 24mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKz
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to claudemc, Jun 23, 2013

claudemc wrote:

that's why I'm not happy with LF1, it's not a baby LX7, If it was I would keep it;

I tested a bit more this afternoon, white balance issues, EVF bring nothing to me (it is very unconfortable, maybe presbytie is my problem), dynamic range is OK, corner quality too,

but when you take a shot, the picture you took appears a bit after the shot, so it's like a Tango, you see the picture going back to alf a second before the image you see on screen, it's the first time I see it.

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

panorama is only one way (left to right) and the quality is not really impressive (less than sony HX?V)

No manual setting for video (it's confirmed in the PDF manual present on the CD)

the only thing i can't complain is the quality of portraits at 200mm.

a bit disapointed by the definition, P7700 does really better, it's a bit BSI CMOS washed effect.

It's really a shame panasonic forget LX7 functions like shutter setting in video or colour fine setting, EVF was an excellent idea but IMHO they didn't tested it with 50 years old eyes, even to playback it's not useful for me, the only thing maby is energy saving...

So LX7 for 24mm F1.4, RX100 for definition in a compact body, LF1 for 200mm good IQ and really intuitive settings and S110 for compact 24mm.

Thank you.  Valuable perspective.  And makes it clear that each choice is a compromise.  I'll have to check out the LF1's EVF on my own aging eyes to see that one makes sense for me . . .

 MichaelKz's gear list:MichaelKz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A55 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to claudemc, Jun 24, 2013

claudemc wrote:

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

That I do not understand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,554Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to claudemc, Jun 24, 2013

claudemc wrote:

I tested a bit more this afternoon, white balance issues, EVF bring nothing to me (it is very unconfortable, maybe presbytie is my problem)

doesn't the EVF have diopter adjustment?

but when you take a shot, the picture you took appears a bit after the shot, so it's like a Tango, you see the picture going back to alf a second before the image you see on screen, it's the first time I see it.

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

are you talking about the EVF here, or both EVF and LCD display? If the EVF works like that that wouldn't be good, but it would surprise me.

So LX7 for 24mm F1.4, RX100 for definition in a compact body, LF1 for 200mm good IQ and really intuitive settings and S110 for compact 24mm.

yes, they all have their strong and weak points; but you can't use them all so have to chose the best compromise.

Btw, regarding the 'street photography' talk above: LF1 doesn't seem a logical choice for that given the optical spec and the slow (?) response. There are many cameras that are more suitable for street photography; LF1 is more a camera for general 'walkaround' photography, vacation shots etc. - similar to the superzooms, but with better image quality, more options and probably better ergonomics.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to claudemc, Jun 24, 2013

claudemc wrote:

that's why I'm not happy with LF1, it's not a baby LX7, If it was I would keep it;

I tested a bit more this afternoon, white balance issues, EVF bring nothing to me (it is very unconfortable, maybe presbytie is my problem), dynamic range is OK, corner quality too,

but when you take a shot, the picture you took appears a bit after the shot, so it's like a Tango, you see the picture going back to alf a second before the image you see on screen, it's the first time I see it.

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

panorama is only one way (left to right) and the quality is not really impressive (less than sony HX?V)

No manual setting for video (it's confirmed in the PDF manual present on the CD)

the only thing i can't complain is the quality of portraits at 200mm.

a bit disapointed by the definition, P7700 does really better, it's a bit BSI CMOS washed effect.

It's really a shame panasonic forget LX7 functions like shutter setting in video or colour fine setting, EVF was an excellent idea but IMHO they didn't tested it with 50 years old eyes, even to playback it's not useful for me, the only thing maby is energy saving...

So LX7 for 24mm F1.4, RX100 for definition in a compact body, LF1 for 200mm good IQ and really intuitive settings and S110 for compact 24mm.

I think, since you haven't had it too long, sell it or send it back and get something else. Personally, I was just admiring what great photos that fellow took. I'm still waiting for mine. I think it will work for me.

 Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
claudemc
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to tkpatric, Jun 25, 2013

My english is not perfect...

with canon when you press the shutter button half way, then take a shot pressing it deeper,

you can go back to half way (without leaving the "half" pressure) and take another shot very quickly (exposure and focus don't need to be adjusted another time) and choose the moment to shoot.

it's impossible here, you have to press it in 2img/s mode, or shot to shot (0.7s delay),

focus+latence is about 0.3s in quite good conditions.

I used to use it on canon really often and don't know why other brands didn't (right protected maybe).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
claudemc
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to technic, Jun 25, 2013

technic wrote:

claudemc wrote:

I tested a bit more this afternoon, white balance issues, EVF bring nothing to me (it is very unconfortable, maybe presbytie is my problem)

doesn't the EVF have diopter adjustment?

but when you take a shot, the picture you took appears a bit after the shot, so it's like a Tango, you see the picture going back to alf a second before the image you see on screen, it's the first time I see it.

You can't do like with canon cam and maintain half way the shutter button to fix AE/AF and shoot quickly, so the shot to shot delay is too long for me.

are you talking about the EVF here, or both EVF and LCD display? If the EVF works like that that wouldn't be good, but it would surprise me.

So LX7 for 24mm F1.4, RX100 for definition in a compact body, LF1 for 200mm good IQ and really intuitive settings and S110 for compact 24mm.

yes, they all have their strong and weak points; but you can't use them all so have to chose the best compromise.

Btw, regarding the 'street photography' talk above: LF1 doesn't seem a logical choice for that given the optical spec and the slow (?) response. There are many cameras that are more suitable for street photography; LF1 is more a camera for general 'walkaround' photography, vacation shots etc. - similar to the superzooms, but with better image quality, more options and probably better ergonomics.

yes it has diopter but difficult acces and not really fine, really the only real advantage for me is battery saving, but in really bright sun it could help or in backlight...

for the delay to display I can live with it, but the fist time it's bizarre,

and with 2img/s mode of lf1 you can shoot quickly (but in this mode, so by pressing the shutter as long as you have something to capture).

you are right about the "positioning" of LF1 in the market.

Lf1 is not bad, but Pana could have kept all LX7 settings for not more than one penny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to claudemc, Jun 25, 2013

claudemc wrote:

My english is not perfect...

with canon when you press the shutter button half way, then take a shot pressing it deeper,

you can go back to half way (without leaving the "half" pressure) and take another shot very quickly (exposure and focus don't need to be adjusted another time) and choose the moment to shoot.

it's impossible here, you have to press it in 2img/s mode, or shot to shot (0.7s delay),

focus+latence is about 0.3s in quite good conditions.

I used to use it on canon really often and don't know why other brands didn't (right protected maybe).

Thank you very much!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads