LF1 Gallery of Professinal Street Photos by Jesse Marlow

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
LF1 Gallery of Professinal Street Photos by Jesse Marlow
Jun 21, 2013

Panasonic has put up a gallery of street photos shot with the LF1 by Jesse Marlow, a well known Australian photographer. Well worth a look.  You can read about Marlow at his site .

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: LF1 Gallery of Professinal Street Photos by Jesse Marlow
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 21, 2013

That guy could make nice photos with any camera.  A beautiful set, but I'm not sure it tells us anything useful about the LF1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830
Like?

Thanks for the link, great work by Mr Marlow, I think the LF1 looks to be
a great little camera, will wait and see how it settles down with us mere mortals.

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339
Like?
In reply to Trafford, Jun 21, 2013

I agree that Marlow could probably take great photos with just about any camera but I disagree with Red5TX that it doesn't show what the camera is capable of. I think there is plenty of evidence in these photos, even at their small size, that show the camera's photo quality and performance. Corner sharpness looks good, it appears quick to capture the shots that required good timing, and a slow shutter speed was used to good effect in the shot with all the birds. Marlow is a good enough photographer that I really doubt he would want his name associated with a camera if it didn't meet a pretty high level of performance.

I really enjoyed these photos. thanks for sharing the link.

-Tim

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?

Great photos! Wish they were large enough to judge the image quality.

in_focus
Forum ProPosts: 17,678
Like?

Thank you for sharing the link, John.. enjoyed viewing the set, only wish the images were larger ..

Best regards,,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to in_focus, Jun 21, 2013

Brilliant, just brilliant. As usual, some people are never happy with anything.

Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
claudemc
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to Drewpy, Jun 22, 2013

the man behind is brillant, the LF1 I'm trying right now is not really what I expected, not bad but

lacks few otions that were present in LX7, really few colour setting, EVF really Poor (not a sunny day today, maybe it will be usefull), long charging time (2 hours yet and not finished) and not compatible with USB standards (800mA needed so AC power needed), shutter lag present (LX7 was the fastest compact I've tried),

need to go forward but it seems that there is much less manual video option (as there's no dedicated video mode upon mode wheel),

at this time (15 minute test!) it seems there's not really exceptional to say about panasonic LF1, maybe faster than Canon S110 and with an EVF...

doto41
Forum ProPosts: 11,345
Like?
In reply to claudemc, Jun 22, 2013

A really goo street photographer with a sensitive eye. I enjoyed his work very much.

-- hide signature --

Dov
LX5, FZ8, FZ50, minolta 0, raynox 250, oly c-180, oly b-300 (and hoping for more :))
My Flickr

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Jun 23, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

That guy could make nice photos with any camera. A beautiful set, but I'm not sure it tells us anything useful about the LF1.

These were exactly my thoughts.

Such person could  take great pictures with any camera.

I prefer more to see pictures from common users.

Having said that  I think it was a  nice gesture from the OP ,  to post in this forum one more gallery of images.

Thanks for that.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?
In reply to peter42y, Jun 23, 2013

peter42y wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

That guy could make nice photos with any camera. A beautiful set, but I'm not sure it tells us anything useful about the LF1.

Such person could take great pictures with any camera.

Having said that I think it was a nice gesture from the OP , to post in this forum one more gallery of images.

Thanks for that.

So real good cameras are only for bad photographers.

MichaelKz
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkpatric, Jun 23, 2013

tkpatric wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

Having said that I think it was a nice gesture from the OP , to post in this forum one more gallery of images.

Thanks for that.

But . . . since bad photographers take bad photos with real good cameras, AND if real good photographers can take great photos with any camera . . . then it follows that nobody needs a real good camera, right???  Find the logic flaw (or flaws) in that reasoning (hint: it's not too deeply hidden).

MichaelKz's gear list:MichaelKz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A55 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
tkpatric
Like?
In reply to MichaelKz, Jun 23, 2013

MichaelKz wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

peter42y wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

Thanks for that.

But . . . since bad photographers take bad photos with real good cameras, AND if real good photographers can take great photos with any camera . . . then it follows that nobody needs a real good camera, right??? Find the logic flaw (or flaws) in that reasoning (hint: it's not too deeply hidden).

hehehe...

Any camera isgood enough to take a  meaningfull photo,but a good camera can make it better.

Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to doto41, Jun 23, 2013

Just found this Gallery site at Lumix: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/gallery/

A great place to learn how the pros do it with little cameras. The one with Charlie Waite on Vermeer is fascinating. A good place to learn how to 'see' Photography.

Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,499Gear list
Like?
In reply to claudemc, Jun 23, 2013

claudemc wrote:

at this time (15 minute test!) it seems there's not really exceptional to say about panasonic LF1, maybe faster than Canon S110 and with an EVF...

if it is like S110 but with EVF (and more tele reach) and with slightly better corner/border quality (e.g. like LX7), that sounds great to me.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to technic, Jun 23, 2013

A professional photographer can make a Holga look good, it doesn't say much about the LF1. It does say something about the camera person though.

-- hide signature --
 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,762Gear list
Like?
Wow. Photos like that can sell any camera.
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 23, 2013

Panasonic found a gem in this Marlow fellow (forgive me if he's famous and I don't know that). Those photos are nothing short of spectactular, especially when viewed as a set. He has a style, that's for sure. The simplicity of many of his images is quite powerful.

I still don't want the LF1 though. My LX7 is a wonderful camera.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, Jun 23, 2013

Lumixdude wrote:

A professional photographer can make a Holga look good, it doesn't say much about the LF1. It does say something about the camera person though.

-- hide signature --

And of course some reviewers can make a great instrument look bad, or worse.

tkpatric
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, Jun 23, 2013

Lumixdude wrote:

-- hide signature --

Did you reed this: So real good cameras are only for bad photographers.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trafford, Jun 23, 2013

Yes, but the reverse statement isn't something spectacular and even so, if you take it as it is it still says these photos show us nothing, there is no EXIF information and the pictures really aren't big enough to make out of any of the issues the LF1 has had in other test shots.

-- hide signature --
 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads