Some simple Mac questions

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: Some simple Mac questions
In reply to webfrasse, Jun 22, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

Download it from adobe.com. It's faster than anything you proposed and there is nothing on the DVD that isn't available online. You license key will unlock the standard trial download or you can create an account on adobe.com, register your software and download it there.

It isn't available on Adobe's web site since it is no longer a current product. I could download LR5, but not LR4.

As it turns out I was able to contact an Adobe customer service rep and get a link to the LR4 Mac download but, even though I have a valid PhotoShop CS5 license for Windows, they will not give me a link to the corresponding Mac product for download and, since I got theWIndows version via download originally, I have no Mac version to install. It means that I have to choose between upgrading to CS6 and getting the Mac version, buying Parallels/VMWare and a Windows installation disc and using the Windows version on the Mac or giving up PhotoShop completely. It is not a set of choices that makes me happy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to dlevitt, Jun 22, 2013

dlevitt wrote:

Generally with a Mac, you just ignore whatever software is shipped with the drive, and use the Disk Utility to reformat it as HFS+ [the most popular Mac native file system].

NTFS [and it's predecessor HPFS] are Microsoft proprietary formats, and are not official document in any public source [unlike the myriad of formats that Mac OSX can treat as native formats - all of them are well specified, with open source implementations].

I don't have any Windows machines at home, so this is not an issue for me. If I need to share stuff between one of my computers and a Windows box I use one of several methods already discussed in this thread.

Apparently sharing from Windows to Mac is simple since the Mac can read NTFS. However sharing the other way seems more than difficult. If I want to write photos from the Mac to an external usb drive and have those available for Windows I will need to use FAT 32 or get some Windows drivers to read those files. Apparently Paragon sells drivers for both directions.

It sort of reminds me of all of the work we had when I was a software engineer writing interfaces between our proprietary systems and IBM machines.

dlevitt
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 22, 2013

Except with IBM all the specs were published [I had a wall full of SNA documentation received in answer to a query about a serial interface to a 4331 system]

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Canon PowerShot A70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple Aperture +3 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,739
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 22, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

dlevitt wrote:

NTFS [and it's predecessor HPFS] are Microsoft proprietary formats, and are not official document in any public source [unlike the myriad of formats that Mac OSX can treat as native formats - all of them are well specified, with open source implementations].

Apparently sharing from Windows to Mac is simple since the Mac can read NTFS. However sharing the other way seems more than difficult.

That's because Microsoft doesn't make any attempt to include HFS+ support in Windows – even though Apple has published Open Source for a HFS+ filesystem implementation as a part of the Darwin distribution.

I believe there is a third-party vendor selling a HFS+ implementation for Windows.

Mediafour - MacDrive

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,757
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 23, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

dlevitt wrote:

Generally with a Mac, you just ignore whatever software is shipped with the drive, and use the Disk Utility to reformat it as HFS+ [the most popular Mac native file system].

I don't have any Windows machines at home, so this is not an issue for me. If I need to share stuff between one of my computers and a Windows box I use one of several methods already discussed in this thread.

Apparently sharing from Windows to Mac is simple since the Mac can read NTFS. However sharing the other way seems more than difficult. If I want to write photos from the Mac to an external usb drive and have those available for Windows I will need to use FAT 32 or get some Windows drivers to read those files. Apparently Paragon sells drivers for both directions.

just network the two machines and be done with it. Reads and writes in both directions.

It sort of reminds me of all of the work we had when I was a software engineer writing interfaces between our proprietary systems and IBM machines.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,757
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Jun 23, 2013

Or, use...

dropbox.com

copy.com (similar to dropbox but much more free space)

aerofs.com (no cloud storage, direct between two machines, limited only by disk space)

Bittorrent Sync, http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html (also no cloud storage)

All of the above can be used for free and works across platforms and doesn't need to be in the same network, just online somewhere on the planet.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?

The Apple web site Support section has tons on information about transitioning from a PC to a Mac. It also has information about using PCs and a Macs together on the same network.

I recommend purchasing the Apple One-On-One service which provides unlimited personal training at your local Apple Store. Ask about this and discuss all of your other questions when you pick up your new iMac. You might want to make a Genius reservation to coincide with your pick up. This way you won't have to wait if th Apple Store is busy that data.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Tinkerer
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to wchutt, Jun 23, 2013

Why not forget about NTFS and re-Format your external drives to the Mac HFS+.

You might need an empty drive to start the process.

You can do this using the Mac "Disk Utility" which can be found in the "Utilities" folder.

Mac "Time Machine" which is a backup system that allows you to move back in Time to recover previously erased files will not work with a NTFS drive.

You may have problems with Mac files on a NTFS drives as the file naming system differs.

Some characters are not recognized by the MS system.

Tink.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,810
Like?

MikeFromMesa wrote:

There are no drivers necessary for Windows to read or write to FAT32. Almost all memory cards used in cameras are formated as FAT32 (or earlier versions like FAT16). And USB sticks are in my experience also almost always formatted as FAT32 (which is the reason the use of them for file 'sharing' between Macs and Windows PCs is quite common). FAT32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4 GB which is the reason for video length limitation in some cameras. Its 'successor' exFAT removes that file size limit. It is supported by Windows starting with Vista SP1 but support can be added to Windows XP via an update from Microsoft.

What Paragon sells is support for HFS+ under Windows.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,810
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 24, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Given the market share of Windows as compared to Apple I can easily understand why few disc manufacturers worry about providing Mac drivers for the usb drives, but I would think that it would be a big deal to Apple itself. Apparently it is not, but I would have thought so.

The drives themselves need no drivers (as generally no physical device connected to a Mac needs drivers with the exception of printers) to work on Macs, it's the file format NTFS that needs a 'driver'.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Jun 24, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

just network the two machines and be done with it. Reads and writes in both directions.

Yeah, one reason I try to network Macs and PCs first is because when using network file sharing, the file system doesn't matter. Just mount and start copying. As long as you have a fast enough network. I've made sure any router or switch or cable I use is capable of Gigabit Ethernet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads