“Photo of the Week” – #8 (June 21 – June 27, 2013)

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
Re: Voting etc.
In reply to RudyPohl, Jun 27, 2013

Rudy: Well, your thread has become a tremendous success. Thanks and congratulations!

With such an overwhelming response, I've just been wondering if the voting still makes sense. It is really about sharing, inspiring, and educating. If there is a story behind the photo, I appreciate a few lines. And, I definitely appreciate knowing the camera and lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nicholas Bell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,098
Like?
Re: “Photo of the Week” – #8 (June 21 – June 27, 2013)
In reply to Boris 11, Jun 27, 2013

Beautiful shot.   Were at?

Nick

Nicholas Bell
Like?
Re: Straight Up
In reply to Kris in CT, Jun 27, 2013

Pretty amazing shot - glad you were well prepared!

Nick

Nicholas Bell
Like?
Re: Female Blackbird
In reply to vancleef58, Jun 27, 2013

Well done!  I like the feather detail.  That gaze she has looks like there's some contemplation going on about your intent    Thanks for posting.

Nick

RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963
Like?
In reply to Iain G Foulds, Jun 27, 2013

Iain G Foulds wrote:

Rudy: Well, your thread has become a tremendous success. Thanks and congratulations!

With such an overwhelming response, I've just been wondering if the voting still makes sense. It is really about sharing, inspiring, and educating. If there is a story behind the photo, I appreciate a few lines. And, I definitely appreciate knowing the camera and lens.

Hi Iain:

Thanks for your comment and for your on-going participation in the thread.

To begin, I'd like to make one little adjustment to your statement if I may... I'd like to suggest that it isn't "my" thread but "our" thread. Before launching the thread 2 months ago, I was careful to first run the whole idea by Mako our forum Moderator, and he really liked it and said that I should put it out before the forum community, which I did. We (me, and Mako in the background) presented the idea to the group for their input and asked them to comment and to vote in favour if they wanted to give this idea a try. After a week of discussion it received substantial feedback and support so we proceeded.

I mention this genesis process because from the beginning I really wanted to see this idea emerge and evolve as a thread that belonged to the entire group. I think that has happened and I'm really excited about that. In that vein, I believe that one of the things that makes the thread work so well is that it is intentionally democratic - we all decided on it's genesis, we all own it, therefore we all decide on any changes that would affect the way the thread works.

I have received a number of thoughtful suggestions, such as yours, via private messages and posted here over the recent weeks and my answer is always the same, so I'll post it here to give anyone who may interested a sense of what I'm thinking. My recommendation is that we do not make any significant changes to the way the thread works for at least another month or two so that a solid consistency can be allowed to form. Then, once we've all really settled in to the format, we can have a kind of "review" process where we ask people to submit ideas and suggestions to help improve the thread. We will then present these to the group for their feedback and voting. Those ideas that resonate with the majority and get the support will then be implemented.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
******* Don't forget to VOTE ********

Hi Everyone:

Just a quick reminder that VOTING ends tonight at 12:00 PM midnight Pacific time (-8 GMT).

Make sure to vote for your 5 favourite photos before then. Everyone can vote, even if you didn't submit a photos.

Cheers,

Rudy

MrWisker
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Re: A girl and a boy
In reply to sukotin, Jun 27, 2013
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?

Rudy: Thanks for your thoughts. It's a good plan.

Loving our thread!

cwsiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Graffiti Alley - Toronto

cwsiggy's gear list:cwsiggy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
RudyPohl
Like?
*** 1st Place Winner *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "Straight Up"
In reply to Kris in CT, Jun 28, 2013

Kris in CT wrote:

D300 * Tokina 300 F2.8

-- hide signature --

My sober voyage into bird photography
http://www.facebook.com/KristoferRowePhotography

Congratulations to "Kris in CT" (that is, Kristofer Rowe in Old Saybrook, CT, United States) for being the 1st Place winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "Straight Up" getting 12 votes.

You really nailed this one Kris - perfect catch, thanks for participating!

Cheers,

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 2nd Place Winner - tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "First light hide and seek..."
In reply to padavid, Jun 28, 2013

padavid wrote:

D5200~300 f/4~TC1.4~wide open

-- hide signature --

dave

Congratulations to "Dave" (from the Midwest, USA) for his 2nd Place - tie photo in our Photo of the Week thread Week #8 with "First light hide and seek..." getting 10 votes.

Thanks for posting yet another gorgeous little bird image... great eye and great technique! Thanks for participating.

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 2nd Place Winner - tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "Mt. Redoubt"
In reply to dretket, Jun 28, 2013

dretket wrote:

Congratulations to "dretket" (from the USA) for his 2nd Place - tie photo in our Photo of the Week thread Week #8 with "Mt. Redoubt" getting 10 votes.

Another stunner dretket!... you're spoiling us!! Thanks for participating.

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 3rd Place Winner *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "Awesome Osprey"
In reply to RudyPohl, Jun 28, 2013

RudyPohl wrote:

Rudy

Congratulations to "RudyPohl" (from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) for being the 3rd Place winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "Awesome Osprey" getting 8 votes.

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 4th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "Grad 8 Graduation"
In reply to MrWisker, Jun 28, 2013

MrWisker wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardarmstrongphotos/

http://richardarmstrong.smugmug.com/

Congratulations to "MrWisker" (from Chatham, Ontario, Canada) for being the 4th Place -tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "Grad 8 Graduation" getting 7 votes.

Another great photo of one of your kids MrWisker! Thanks for participating

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 4th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8)
In reply to Breidablick, Jun 28, 2013

Breidablick wrote:

My daughter at yesterdays Midsommar (Swedish summer solstice celebration). D7100 + an old manual Nikon 50/1.8 Series E.

Congratulations to "Breidablick" (from Sweden) for being the 4th Place - tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with a photo of his daughter getting 7 votes.

Thanks for this delightfully sweet and very well executed photo!

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 4th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "A girl and a boy"
In reply to sukotin, Jun 28, 2013

sukotin wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/nukkusilma

Congratulations to "sukotinr" (from Finland) for being the 4th Place -tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "A girl and a boy" getting 7 votes.

This a wonderful, happy image Sukotin, very well done! Thanks for participating

Rudy

Breidablick
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 4th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8)
In reply to RudyPohl, Jun 28, 2013

Congratulations to "Breidablick" (from Sweden) for being the 4th Place - tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with a photo of his daughter getting 7 votes.

Thanks for this delightfully sweet and very well executed photo!

Rudy

Great, thanks, and thank you for a great idea - Photo of the Week.

Breidablick's gear list:Breidablick's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +6 more
RudyPohl
Like?
*** 5th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "From Pattaya Beach"
In reply to Ixpand, Jun 28, 2013

Ixpand wrote:

Sigma 35.

-- hide signature --

Congratulations to "Ixpand" for being the 5th Place -tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "From Pattaya Beach" getting 6 votes.

Great timing on this shot Ixpand! Thanks for participating

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 5th Place Winner - tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8)
In reply to draacor, Jun 28, 2013

draacor wrote:

Took this in my backyard waiting for the Super Moon to come up. Was pretty happy with the results

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

Congratulations to "draacor" (from Austin, TX, United States) for being the 5th Place -tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8  getting 6 votes.

Beautiful scene and very well executed draacor! Thanks for participating

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
*** 5th Place Winner -tie *** Photo of the Week (week #8) "Myalup Beach, Western Australia"
In reply to R Dunlop, Jun 28, 2013

R Dunlop wrote:

Myalup Beach, Western Australia....

-- hide signature --

Hotworks

Congratulations to "R Dunlop" (from Western Australia) for being the 5th Place -tie winner of the Photo of the Week thread #8 with "Myalup Beach" getting 6 votes.

A stunning ultra-wide angle landscape, I almost feel like I'm there ... I wish I wa! Thanks for participating

Rudy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads