D7100 & HDR

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
D7100 & HDR
Jun 21, 2013

Does anyone have experience with i) single shot HDR and ii) 5 frame HDR with the D7100. Imagine it all works well when shadows are limited but wonder if you get banding with the shadows. If so what is your workflow NEF -> HDR -> De-Noise?

Going to try it out this weekend and thought would try and get some input beforehand. Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,345Gear list
Like?
single shot HDR ...
In reply to six34sigma, Jun 21, 2013

IMO there is no point ... you can dig out all the dynamic range in any file with most capable post software; just manipulating "curves", "levels", dodge/burn, luminosity masks and so forth. In particular the "fill light", slider in Adobe Camera Raw (2003/2010 process) is particularly powerful, but just depressing the highlights slider in the 2012 process and lifting exposure, shadows, and blacks will do just about all there is that can be done with s single file as well.

The 7100 has Nikons best bracketing facility to date for actual HDR work (five frames x 2 stops). 9 x 1 stops (in the 800) is too granular / not necessary / awkward. Plus/minus 4 stops is about all you really can use - go any farthar (more stops) and lens flare will limit any additional gain. The flare limit of multi-element lenses, even with nano coating is about 15/16 stops.

I do lots of HDR work shooting real estate. I recommend Nik's HDR EFX Pro 2. Better and more natural results than Photomatix - a terrific package.

About D7100 and noise/banding in the shadows - if you need to dig that deep, you should be bracketing in the first place

good luck - have fun

here is an example - simple RE shot of a livingroom, closing in on 15 stops from deep shadows in the fireplace to detail held in the lighting fixtures and window views (midday sun).  3 x 3 stops from my D600, which has pretty amazing single file dynamic response, but not this much ...

here is the "as metered" single file exposure for comparison

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?
Re: D7100 & HDR

six34sigma wrote:

Does anyone have experience with i) single shot HDR and ii) 5 frame HDR with the D7100. Imagine it all works well when shadows are limited but wonder if you get banding with the shadows. If so what is your workflow NEF -> HDR -> De-Noise?

Going to try it out this weekend and thought would try and get some input beforehand. Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

I only use 3 exposures for HDR, usually at -3, 0 and +3, adjusting the at the top or bottom depending on how dark or light the overall scene is...  Banding hasn't been involved in ANY of my shots with the D7100, HDR or otherwise.  My workflow is NEF to JPEG (via View NX2) then into PhotoMatix, saved as TIFF, finished in Capture NX2 as a NEF and JPEG.

six34sigma
Like?
Re: single shot HDR ...
In reply to Fred Mueller, Jun 21, 2013

Thanks Fred, that is precisely what I was looking for with practical use. Use Nik SW as well got it at googles price of $140 (or something like that), just like the speed of the HDR piece. Perfect on the +/- 4 stops and I was hoping it would not create banding. Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
six34sigma
Like?
In reply to BillD7000, Jun 21, 2013

BillD7000 wrote:

six34sigma wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

I only use 3 exposures for HDR, usually at -3, 0 and +3, adjusting the at the top or bottom depending on how dark or light the overall scene is... Banding hasn't been involved in ANY of my shots with the D7100, HDR or otherwise. My workflow is NEF to JPEG (via View NX2) then into PhotoMatix, saved as TIFF, finished in Capture NX2 as a NEF and JPEG.

Great shot of the celing. I have a thing for celings ..... Appreciate your workflow including the +/-3 3 shot exposure. Time for me to experiment a bit this weekend and see how things turn out.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

Great shot of the celing. I have a thing for celings ..... Appreciate your workflow including the +/-3 3 shot exposure. Time for me to experiment a bit this weekend and see how things turn out.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

The D7100 has such a big dynamic range, I think 5 exposures is overkill.  Just pay close attention to the scene because you may want to use -4 or +4 depending on the deepest shadows or truly bright highlights.  Still, I think you'll find 3 exposures is plenty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads