Will New Sony Direction Copy Samsung

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,207
Like?
Will New Sony Direction Copy Samsung
Jun 21, 2013

Just was the DPR news about the new camera from Samsung. Can't help but wonder if this is the direction Sony is going. Hope it isn't as I really don't want to have to move to Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Will New Sony Direction Copy Samsung
In reply to dlkeller, Jun 21, 2013

I don't think sony needs an entirely new camera (or android) to compete. What they do need, is to overhaul their menu system, and make navigating (and focusing) using the screen possible, while retaining manual controls.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,014Gear list
Like?

One thing sony could copy is the substantial update of the 300nx camera which samsung just announced.  It is important to show that a company cares about its existing customers after they have already paid for the camera.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,375Gear list
Like?

For the NX300, Samsung seemed to put a lot of effort into the best JPEG processing they could and it has resulted in some pretty good reviews.   I would like to see Sony copy that aspect of what Samsung is doing.  I don't really expect them to though.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Jun 21, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

For the NX300, Samsung seemed to put a lot of effort into the best JPEG processing they could and it has resulted in some pretty good reviews. I would like to see Sony copy that aspect of what Samsung is doing. I don't really expect them to though.

i hope they dont copy samsung...these are snips at imaging resource 3200 iso jpegs.

the nx300 is on the left/the sony a58 on the right. unless my vision is waay distorted the a58 looks better...brian

nx300 left a58 right 3200 iso

nx300 left a58 right 3200iso...

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Jun 21, 2013

I think the OP should have been more explicit about the features of the new Samsung camera which he doesn't like.

Is it the larger touch screen & WiFi capabilities , AppsĀ or something else ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jun 21, 2013

As an older person who wears reading glasses for close work I find touch screens almost useless & have the one on my 5N turned off & got rid of my (HTC) smart phone for the same reason, so before all you young bright eyed guys go wanting more & better - just think ahead !!

Happy snapping

RT

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?

dlkeller wrote:

Just was the DPR news about the new camera from Samsung. Can't help but wonder if this is the direction Sony is going. Hope it isn't as I really don't want to have to move to Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Sony doesn't copy anyone. It's the other way around. Samsung would be a lame choice to copy. IMO.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,207
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Jun 21, 2013

And add the voice communications to your list and you pretty much have it.  I want a camera to take pictures, not serve as a miniature computer/smart phone system.  I guess you would refer to me as a Luddite even through I am fully conversant with computers, but I haven't found any use for a smart phone and find touch screens just smudge up the screen I would use for view pictures as well as making changing camera settings inefficient and tedious.

-- hide signature --

Dave

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
In reply to DistantView, Jun 21, 2013

DistantView wrote:

As an older person who wears reading glasses for close work I find touch screens almost useless & have the one on my 5N turned off & got rid of my (HTC) smart phone for the same reason, so before all you young bright eyed guys go wanting more & better - just think ahead !!

Happy snapping

RT

I have a Sony video camera, maybe 8 years old now, that has a touch screen.

It's great when picking a focus point or exposure lock on a area or point, just touch it there.

I wasn't too fond of trying to navigate the menu with it though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads