LR4 - Where To Store Catalog and Image Files on New Mac

Started Jun 21, 2013 | Discussions
Stephen Elms
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
LR4 - Where To Store Catalog and Image Files on New Mac
Jun 21, 2013

So I'm getting a new iMac (27", i7 with 1TB Fusion Drive) plus a USB 3.0 external HD.  Would I be best to store my catalog file on the Fusion drive and the actual image files on the external USB 3.0 drive?  I'm trying to determine the best location for these files that will make LR run quickest.

Any input would be appreciated.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark K W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
Re: LR4 - Where To Store Catalog and Image Files on New Mac
In reply to Stephen Elms, Jun 21, 2013

Stephen Elms wrote:

So I'm getting a new iMac (27", i7 with 1TB Fusion Drive) plus a USB 3.0 external HD. Would I be best to store my catalog file on the Fusion drive and the actual image files on the external USB 3.0 drive? I'm trying to determine the best location for these files that will make LR run quickest.

The general advice is that LR's catalog, previews, and ACR cache should be on your fastest internal drive. SSD is of course best.

Source image files can be wherever convenient and you have capacity for them. External USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt or GigE networked drives are OK. Obviously opening access in LR's Develop Mode will be faster if they are on an internal drive, but the main speed benefits in LR are as above for the catalog and previews since those are accessed continually in normal use. The catalog file is written every time you move a slider. With LR5 should you upgrade to that, and Smart Previews, that again is a reason to keep your previews on internal drive.

[ I am not expert on the caching logic in a fusion drive vs the size of your catalog and previews/ACR cache and its constant access as to what benefit you will gain in LR, but I presume it is somewhat faster that a conventional HDD. I have only a 500GB 7200rpm HDD, and set my ACR cache to 50GB (because I jump in and out of many folders in my typical LR workflow). My catalog is then around 1.6GB and my previews are 60GB - for 116k images. ]

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edvinas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?

Stephen Elms wrote:

So I'm getting a new iMac (27", i7 with 1TB Fusion Drive) plus a USB 3.0 external HD. Would I be best to store my catalog file on the Fusion drive and the actual image files on the external USB 3.0 drive? I'm trying to determine the best location for these files that will make LR run quickest.

Keep everything on Fusion drive.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +3 more
Stephen Elms
Like?
In reply to Edvinas, Jun 21, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys.  The Fusion drive is only 1TB and less than 1/4 of that space is actually the SSD.  That being said I cannot keep all of my images on that drive as I have well over 1TB of images.

Grump
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

You should store your catalog on the fusion drive.  Since your photos won't all fit you could import new photos to the fusion drive by default.  Keep them there until you're done processing.  Then move them to the external drive for archiving.  All within LR of course!

-- hide signature --

Dave

Stephen Elms
Like?
In reply to Grump, Jun 21, 2013

That makes total sense, so I'd keep my "working files" from a specific shoot on the Fusion drive and then just move them to the external when done...Does anyone know if you can manually select the actual Fusion portion of the Mac drive to store files?  I thought with the Fusion drive, it looked after all that stuff automatically....

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,018Gear list
Like?

Stephen Elms wrote:

That makes total sense, so I'd keep my "working files" from a specific shoot on the Fusion drive and then just move them to the external when done...Does anyone know if you can manually select the actual Fusion portion of the Mac drive to store files? I thought with the Fusion drive, it looked after all that stuff automatically....

This study - Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? - is worth looking at.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Grump
Like?

You have no control over where the files reside.  It will use all the of SSD before it starts putting files onto the HD so the until you go over 100GB or so it's going to be all SSD.  After that, it automatically moves the least accessed files to HD and the most accessed files to SSD.  It does the moving when the computer is idle as I recall.  If you use LR regularly chances are good the catalog will stay on SSD.
--
Dave

Grump
Like?

I may have misread your question.  The fusion drive and the external drive will be two separate drives to you and the OS so you can decide what goes on each drive.  You can't control how files get placed within the fusion drive itself.
--
Dave

Stephen Elms
Like?

Thanks Grump that answers my question and confirms what I thought.  That link was also great and very helpful.  Thanks a ton guys.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Stephen Elms, Jun 24, 2013

Stephen Elms wrote:

The Fusion drive will be much quicker than the external drive on USB 3. Move your files to the Fusion drive, especially when editing. For long term storage and if you have a huge amount of image files you could place those files on an external drive after editing them.

Stephen Elms
Like?
In reply to Basalite, Jun 25, 2013

Ya that's what I am going to do (thanks guys!).  I'll create a folder in my LR Library for working files and place that folder on the Fusion drive.  Then when I'm done editing them I'll simply move them to my other folders on my external drive.

It's all clear to me now

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads