What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions
Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574Gear list
Like?
What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?
Jun 20, 2013

I asked for information on the Software sight but most of what I was recommended seems to only function on PCs.  I tried downloading the free 30 day trial of Corel Paintshop Pro and it warned me iafter downloading that it was a PC program and asked me if I wanted to continue.  Obviously I didn't.  What are you using now or what would you recommend once Adobe faids into the clouds?

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +3 more
J Few
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: What is the best non-Adobe photo processing software for Apple?
In reply to Marvin Doering, Jun 21, 2013

Aperture and CaptureOne are popular alternatives.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlevitt
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?

This forum hosts many discussions about software. [some of the discussions are even useful]

There are two complementary flavors of software.

Image editing software is for editing a picture at the level of individual dots of color [assisted by layers, curves, brushes...]. The gold standard, and priced like it is Adobe's Photoshop. Alternates include Pixelmator, Acorn and the GIMP [and probably many other options] Check the Mac App Store for some of the choices. [I have Pixelmator on my Mac]. Most choices can be used as 'external editors' in iPhoto or Aperture.

The other major category is 'Digital Asset Management' software. This is software that catalogs original image files [rate photos, apply keywords and other metadata, organize into albums and projects], and supports a non-destructive workflow [the original file is not altered] where you can generate [and export] alternate views of a picture [cropped, contrast or colour enhanced, noise filtered...]. Every Mac has iPhoto, which has more capability than most folks know about. Aperture is the pro level companion product. There are other DAM/workflow tools, most notably Adobe's Lightroom, but it probably be useful to start with iPhoto and see if it suits your needs.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Canon PowerShot A70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple Aperture +3 more
TN Args
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?

Adobe promise they have no plan to withdraw Lightroom from computer-based software, so in a way there is no need to consider Aperture or Capture One on the basis of Lightroom being cloud-only.

If you are looking for alternatives to Photoshop, I use Pixelmator. Being exclusive to OSX, it integrates fully to OSX and focuses on taking advantage of Apple tech, e.g. Retina screen functionality was almost instant upon the release of the MacBook Pro  Retina. And the price is VERY fair IMHO.

-- hide signature --

call me Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?

If you like PSP, there's an online petition for a mac version:

http://www.petitiononline.com/psp4mac/petition.html

cpharm86
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to Conchita, Jun 21, 2013

Today I ordered for the heck of it Corel AfterShot Pro for MAC. The Dell website had it for $29.99 plus tax and free shipping. I don't know how much I will use it since I currently use LR5 and PSE. Just thought for the price I would give it a try. It retails for $89.99. Usually I research the heck out of things or use a trial version but went impulsive on this.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,964
Like?
In reply to TN Args, Jun 21, 2013

TN Args wrote:

Adobe promise they have no plan to withdraw Lightroom from computer-based software, so in a way there is no need to consider Aperture or Capture One on the basis of Lightroom being cloud-only.

Adobe CC is not less computer-based than CS6, it mainly just has a different license model and a few additional cloud features. And Adobe as said that LR CC likely will get some additional features that the non-CC version won't get.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?

Marvin Doering wrote:

I asked for information on the Software sight but most of what I was recommended seems to only function on PCs. I tried downloading the free 30 day trial of Corel Paintshop Pro and it warned me iafter downloading that it was a PC program and asked me if I wanted to continue. Obviously I didn't. What are you using now or what would you recommend once Adobe faids into the clouds?

This question is of particular interest to me since I am moving from the PC to the Mac and have been wondering about photo software. I have a lot of stuff for the PC and have been thinking about which of these software apps I could and would move to the Mac. Here is my list:

1) A CDSee Pro 6 has a Mac equivalent of ACDSee Pro 3 for the Mac. Pro 6 is a very nice and complete photo editing solution that contains photo management, workflow and individual editing functionality. I was uncertain about it when I first trial-ed it but found it to be much, much better than I expected and I used it on the PC to replace Lightroom 4. I will at least trial the Mac version even though I would have to buy it.

2) PhotoNinja. This is an excellent workflow tool with the best highlight recovery and color manipulation I have seen in any software. There is a Mac version and I will download that as well.

3) Topaz has a new product called photoFXlab. This is a simple editor which was intended to be a platform for calling their plugins but which has simple, but very nice, masking and editing functionality built into it. I currently use this as an external editor from Pro 6 and expect to use it as an external editor for Pro 3 on the Mac. It allows me to selectively adjust different parts of an image by simple layers and masking.

4) I will also move Lightroom to the Mac although I am not sure I will use it much. Since I have the Windows version and since Lightroom is cross-platform I am entitled to the Mac version provided I remove the Windows version from my PC.

Given that I don't know how you use your software or what you want to do I cannot really make any specific recommendations but if you are looking for a complete workflow solution you might try ACDSee Pro 3 which would also provide you with regular editor, but without layers functionality. If you are looking to only do simple, but very good, workflow adjustments on your images, you might try PhotoNinja. If you are lookiing for external plugins you might try Topaz or Nik.

Hope this is of some help.

jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Jun 21, 2013

Topaz labs and OnONe both have stand alone platforms.

MikeFromMesa
Like?
In reply to jacquelyn, Jun 21, 2013

jacquelyn wrote:

Topaz labs and OnONe both have stand alone platforms.

Yes. photoFXlab is stand-alone and is a decent little simple editor as a stand-alone, but it also can be used as a plugin. And I need to contact onOne to see if I can just download the Mac version of PerfectSuite 7. Thanks for reminding me.

Marvin Doering
Like?
In reply to J Few, Jun 21, 2013

Aperture is a lot like Lightroom and seems more for organizing.  I'm an amateur and have no real need for super organization.  I can do it by putting dates in the file names from each photo adventure and easily find the shots later if necessary.  I'm not familiar with the other one.  I'll look it up on the internet and read about it.  Thanks for your advice.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +3 more
Marvin Doering
Like?
In reply to dlevitt, Jun 21, 2013

I'm interested in processing RAW files and then fixing up the shots.  I looked at Aperture a while back but didn't like the cataloging that seems integral to using it.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering
Like?
In reply to TN Args, Jun 21, 2013

That sounds like what I am looking for.  Lightroom is not to my liking anymore than Aperture but what you are describing sounds like just what I want.  I will investigate it.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering
Like?
In reply to Conchita, Jun 21, 2013

Thanks.  I tried to sign the petition but it failed and said to try later.  I will do so.

-- hide signature --

MRD

Marvin Doering
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, Jun 21, 2013

If by different license model you mean a monthly rental charge as opposed to outright ownership that is the reason I am looking for something to replace CS6, a program that I otherwise like very much.  My fear is that Adobe will stop supporting RAW updates for new camera for CS6.  Even now they don't go back more than one program for such updates.  I buy a lot of new cameras and am always looking for the RAW updates.  Why can't the manufacturers agree on a RAW format and be done with it, and why does every new camera within a brand have to have a different format?

-- hide signature --

MRD

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,964
Like?

Marvin Doering wrote:

My fear is that Adobe will stop supporting RAW updates for new camera for CS6. Even now they don't go back more than one program for such updates. I buy a lot of new cameras and am always looking for the RAW updates. Why can't the manufacturers agree on a RAW format and be done with it, and why does every new camera within a brand have to have a different format?

Even if a new camera uses a standard raw format (ie, DNG), you'd normally still want your raw converter to profile that camera, extracting all the parameter it needs for an optimal use of its internal algorithms. See, the Ricoh GR review on this site. To become fully independent from raw support updates, the manufacturers would also have to agree on a sensor (including read-out electronics) or publish the characteristics of their sensors in exhausting detail (and even then, you probably cannot optimise a raw converter for sensor characteristics that don't exit yet unless you wanted to do this for all theoretically possible sensors).

What might come is that sensors and raw converters get so good that a detailed optimisation isn't really necessary anymore.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,460Gear list
Like?

Aperture. Apple product integrates seamlessly with iPhoto 11. Easy to use. Download free trial from Apple.

What software are you using now?

Have you looked T GIMP?

Based on your posted pictures, you don't need much for post processing. They look pretty good.

Good luck.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331Gear list
Like?
Apple Boot Camp
In reply to Marvin Doering, Jun 22, 2013

don't throw any rock please

but it works

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
In reply to Marvin Doering, Jun 22, 2013

Marvin Doering wrote:

My fear is that Adobe will stop supporting RAW updates for new camera for CS6. Even now they don't go back more than one program for such updates. I buy a lot of new cameras and am always looking for the RAW updates. Why can't the manufacturers agree on a RAW format and be done with it, and why does every new camera within a brand have to have a different format?

Adobe will probably stop updating CS6 for new cameras eventually, but for CS6 they go farther than they have before. Camera Raw 8.1 is out and supports new cameras for CS6. In the past they would have stopped at ACR 7, the one that came with CS6.

The manufacturers are free to agree to use the DNG raw format. Some already do, like Pentax and Leica and Samsung in some models. But some manufacturers are not motivated to. For example, Nikon sells Nikon Capture, their own raw software. If they go non-proprietary then there's less need to buy Nikon's own software.

What happens with every new camera is that the sensor design is updated, so the raw data it puts out is not quite the same as a previous camera. Because remember, raw is not a format at all, it's literally the raw data. That changes due to normal improvements in the hardware, so software needs to be updated. DNG is a format, a way to package the raw data in a common way.

MikeFromMesa
Like?
Re: Apple Boot Camp
In reply to DVT80111, Jun 22, 2013

DVT80111 wrote:

don't throw any rock please

but it works

For me the problem apparently is going to be how to mix both Mac and Windows photo editing software. I have some products that have Mac equivalents and I have gotten all of those that I have a Mac license for. That includes LightRoom 4, PhotoNinja, AfterShot Pro (bought a long time ago and not really used), Topaz photoFXlab and plugins and the Perfect Photo Suite.

However I also have PhotoShop CS5 and PaintShop Pro X5. I am not eligible for a Mac version of CS5 and Corel does not make a Mac version of PaintShop Pro.

My problem is going to be how to use all of these in combination. I can use LR or PhotoNinja in their Mac incarnations, but cannot access PhotoShop because that will be a Windows version. Similarly I could not access PaintShop Pro if I wanted to for the same reason. On the other hand I don't want to run all of these in Windows on a Mac. Seems pointless.

My initial plan was to use Parallels or VMware but I still can't call the Windows stuff from the Mac stuff. What a pain ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads