Good long lens?

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Questions
behyer
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Good long lens?
Jun 20, 2013

Okay, I'm spoiled, I'm used to pretty nice lenses on my NEX-7, including the Zeiss 24/1.8, the Touit 32, a Biogon 35/2, and a Leica Summicron-M 90/2 (pre-Aspherical model). I'd like a long lens, the faster the better, but not so big that it dwarfs the camera (so I'm not interested in a DSLR lens with an adapter).

I've tried two so far, the Olympus Zuiko 200/4, and the Leica Elmarit-R 180/4. The Leica is okay, I guess, but it's not in the same class as my other lenses. The Zuiko is disappointingly poor, especially since I used to shoot OM cameras and I expected it to be better. (Maybe the poor performance is a function of the NEX-7 sensor, but the other lenses I have give great results.)

Any suggestions? Did I buy the wrong Leica 180? I can't afford the newer ones but how about the 180/3.4 APO? That can be had for $1100 +/- and it's supposed to be good. Or should I scrap the 180-200mm focal length idea (270 to 300mm equivalents) and try a 135 (200mm equivalent)? Leica R or M?

behyer's gear list:behyer's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,723
Like?
Re: Good long lens?
In reply to behyer, Jun 20, 2013

I get good results from a Nikon 200mm f/4, but only at high shutter speeds. The least bit of camera shake loses its sharpness.

Aim for speeds of 1/1000 or higher. If on a tripod, use the remote release - tripods can vibrate a little. ISO 800 is OK.

I suspect your lenses are better than you think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?

behyer wrote:

Okay, I'm spoiled, I'm used to pretty nice lenses on my NEX-7, including the Zeiss 24/1.8, the Touit 32, a Biogon 35/2, and a Leica Summicron-M 90/2 (pre-Aspherical model). I'd like a long lens, the faster the better, but not so big that it dwarfs the camera (so I'm not interested in a DSLR lens with an adapter).

I've tried two so far, the Olympus Zuiko 200/4, and the Leica Elmarit-R 180/4. The Leica is okay, I guess, but it's not in the same class as my other lenses. The Zuiko is disappointingly poor, especially since I used to shoot OM cameras and I expected it to be better. (Maybe the poor performance is a function of the NEX-7 sensor, but the other lenses I have give great results.)

Any suggestions? Did I buy the wrong Leica 180? I can't afford the newer ones but how about the 180/3.4 APO? That can be had for $1100 +/- and it's supposed to be good. Or should I scrap the 180-200mm focal length idea (270 to 300mm equivalents) and try a 135 (200mm equivalent)? Leica R or M?

How about Minolta APO 200 f2.8 G APO HS with a LA-EA2. I have 300 f2.8 APO HS but that is a big lens. 200 is supposed to be better and it's smaller too. With LA-EA2 you can get use of PDAF - quite useful for lonegr FL.

KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?

The Olympus OM 200/4 was a consumer-grade lens, lacking ED glass, fluorite, or other exotic materials found in pro-grade telephotos. It was rated "average" by this user survey:

http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylenstxt.jsp?filter=%22brand='Olympus%20Zuiko'%22

wfektar
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
In reply to behyer, Jun 21, 2013

If you're careful you can find a Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for under $300 (but make sure you get the ED. I found mine for $250 a few years ago). Sharp, reasonably light, relatively fast. I'm quite happy to use this wide open. My only beef is lack of a tripod mount.

If you're willing to drop $1100 you might also consider the CV 180/4. If you can find one.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to behyer, Jun 21, 2013

Shot with a 135mm f3.5 Canon LTM (Leica Thread Mount) lens at f3.5

I know of no 135mm lens more compatible (size-wise) and sharper than the latest (black) version of this classic rangefinder lens. They occasionally come up on eBay. Longer than 135mm is pretty hard to hand-hold at slow speeds - this isn't as sharp as it could be because of being hand-held.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Jun 21, 2013

verybiglebowski wrote:

behyer wrote:

How about Minolta APO 200 f2.8 G APO HS with a LA-EA2. I have 300 f2.8 APO HS but that is a big lens. 200 is supposed to be better and it's smaller too. With LA-EA2 you can get use of PDAF - quite useful for lonegr FL.

I stopped by to recommend this lens... one I have and love.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads