DP1 Merrill showing up in the new Ricoh GR review comparison tool

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?
DP1 Merrill showing up in the new Ricoh GR review comparison tool
Jun 20, 2013

It is nice to see the DP1 Merrill showing up in the comparison tool.

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Sigma DP1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728
Like?
Re: DP1 Merrill showing up in the new Ricoh GR review comparison tool
In reply to brittonx, Jun 20, 2013

brittonx wrote:

Yes, but they managed to really blur the photos from the DP1M.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, Jun 20, 2013

PrebenR wrote:

brittonx wrote:

Yes, but they managed to really blur the photos from the DP1M.

Not sure where you are looking, in many areas, the DP1M is much sharper than the others, at least at the lower ISOs.  Even the JPEG DP1M images are good.

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
ohlhouse
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, Jun 20, 2013

Look at raw and put the merrill to iso 200 - miles ahead!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D / EF 50 1.8 / Tamron 17-50-2.8 /Sigma 10-20mm/EF 100 macro / EF 70-300 IS USM / EF 70-200 mark II / RX100 - TX5- (LX3 - G9 )- (D-Lux3, S80,DSC-H5 and C8080)

ohlhouse's gear list:ohlhouse's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
streeteyes
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to ohlhouse, Jun 21, 2013

What's really interesting is when you move the "marquis" tool over the engraved currency you see really intense moire effects around the really close gravure lines on all the images EXCEPT the DP1M.

-- hide signature --

Life is an infinite series of moments called now. My job is to capture them.

streeteyes's gear list:streeteyes's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to ohlhouse, Jun 21, 2013

Yes, truly out-standing.

Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
In reply to brittonx, Jun 24, 2013

I posted a comment on that article asking whether DPReview would ever review any of the Sigma DP cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/6/20/just-posted-ricoh-gr-review-compared-to-nikon-coolpix-a?comment=2621310990).

Richard Butler's reply: "And it's unlikely we will, to be honest.

I will be writing about my experiences of using it and discussing the advantages and disadvantages of it, compared to the Ricoh and Nikon."

Later on: "We would like to review everything and would like to be able to cover the DP series in more depth, but there are always too many cameras. That's exactly why I'm hoping to write an article about the DP1 Merrill."

Sad, really. While there are (too) many cameras released all the time, there are very few significant cameras released.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott Greiff, Jun 24, 2013

Scott Greiff wrote:

I posted a comment on that article asking whether DPReview would ever review any of the Sigma DP cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/6/20/just-posted-ricoh-gr-review-compared-to-nikon-coolpix-a?comment=2621310990).

Richard Butler's reply: "And it's unlikely we will, to be honest.

I will be writing about my experiences of using it and discussing the advantages and disadvantages of it, compared to the Ricoh and Nikon."

Later on: "We would like to review everything and would like to be able to cover the DP series in more depth, but there are always too many cameras. That's exactly why I'm hoping to write an article about the DP1 Merrill."

Sad, really. While there are (too) many cameras released all the time, there are very few significant cameras released.

It's really odd.  It just makes no sense to review every minor camera update under the sun and ignore a whole system that is really unique.

Even when they don't like some aspects of a system it's really helpful to have things like reference shots taken the same way as other cameras.

I guess at this point there are enough reviews around of the DP cameras that it kind of doesn't matter, but I do feel like it has to impact sales to some degree to have no reviews on DPReview.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,939
Like?
In reply to Scott Greiff, Jun 24, 2013

The usual excuse is that Sigma's sales volume is so low that only 20 people in the forum are interested and it wouldn't justify the effort.  But I can hardly see Ricoh being a volume seller either.

It is frustrating when you have a technology that is so different from everything else and deserves some serious coverage simply because it is a different approach.

One of the problems might be that DPReview prefer not to review cameras that will score poorly on their standard criteria.  Only Sigma can remedy that by giving some attention to the operational characteristics.

-- hide signature --
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,995
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Jun 24, 2013

DMillier wrote:

The usual excuse is that Sigma's sales volume is so low that only 20 people in the forum are interested and it wouldn't justify the effort. But I can hardly see Ricoh being a volume seller either.

It is frustrating when you have a technology that is so different from everything else and deserves some serious coverage simply because it is a different approach.

One of the problems might be that DPReview prefer not to review cameras that will score poorly on their standard criteria. Only Sigma can remedy that by giving some attention to the operational characteristics.

-- hide signature --

Actually, your explanation makes the most sense. dpreview probably doesn't want to offend Sigma by giving a "not recommended" to any of their products. And except for IQ, all Sigma bodies have very poor usability in comparison to all other camera manufactures, especially the Merrills with their 10-15 second processing times per image.

Like?
eight seconds
In reply to mike earussi, Jun 24, 2013

mike earussi wrote:

DMillier wrote:

The usual excuse is that Sigma's sales volume is so low that only 20 people in the forum are interested and it wouldn't justify the effort. But I can hardly see Ricoh being a volume seller either.

One of the problems might be that DPReview prefer not to review cameras that will score poorly on their standard criteria. Only Sigma can remedy that by giving some attention to the operational characteristics.

-- hide signature --

Actually, your explanation makes the most sense. dpreview probably doesn't want to offend Sigma by giving a "not recommended" to any of their products. And except for IQ, all Sigma bodies have very poor usability in comparison to all other camera manufactures, especially the Merrills with their 10-15 second processing times per image.

It's eight if you use fast SD cards, from pressing the shutter to review.

Processing is actually a very small amount of the time if you pay attention to the phases of image writing the light indicates.

But, it's hard to believe a camera could get a "not recommended" over something like write time alone.   Basically the reviews in the past have been I thought roughly fair and informative.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Like?
They already did review one Merrill, just fine
In reply to DMillier, Jun 24, 2013

DMillier wrote:

<...>

"Please note that because of its unconventional sensor and feature set the SD1 is a difficult camera to score, and in some respects fits awkwardly alongside its peers when their scores are compared. As such (and as always) for a complete picture of how the SD1 performs, we encourage you to read this review in its entirety."

That is the text at the end of the SD-1 review. The DP-M cameras have substantially better handling and other aspects than the SD-1 (better LCD, faster write times, more immediate adjustment of controls).

Not to mention that the DP cameras focus speed and accuracy is now on par with most other contrast-detect focusing cameras.

There's no reason they couldn't have done a similar review for any of the DP-Merrill cameras.

DMillier
Like?
Re: eight seconds
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jun 24, 2013

DPR have their review criteria and they have hinted in the past that Sigma's are not the kind of all rounders that their system is designed for. They would rather not do a review than dish out a "Below average" because it's a niche product.

Only Sigma can address this by making products that fit with reviewers' expectations.

-- hide signature --
DMillier
Like?
Re: They already did review one Merrill, just fine
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jun 24, 2013

I wish they would.

-- hide signature --
victorgv
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Jun 25, 2013

DMillier wrote:

.............................................................................................

Only Sigma can address this by making products that fit with reviewers' expectations.

I would rather not

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victor_gvirtsman/

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Jun 25, 2013

DMillier wrote:

DPR have their review criteria and they have hinted in the past that Sigma's are not the kind of all rounders that their system is designed for. They would rather not do a review than dish out a "Below average" because it's a niche product.

So what your saying is that Pentax needs to update their 645 as well so it is fast and can shoot muddy photos at ISO 1 000 000?

If dpreview cannot distinguish between the different camera and their purposes, then it is in deed a poor review site.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads