Has anyone here tried the Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6,3 super tele?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,165
Like?
Has anyone here tried the Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6,3 super tele?
10 months ago

If so what were your impressions of this lens?

Cheers.

greeman
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: Has anyone here tried the Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6,3 super tele?
In reply to Petroglyph, 10 months ago

I have never used this lens, but have looked at a lot of work with this lens that looks good.  HERE is a link to some work by a guy that seems to have this lens figured out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,165
Like?
In reply to greeman, 10 months ago

Thank you.  I'll take a look.

Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

If so what were your impressions of this lens?

Cheers.

I shot with one for my first full year in bird photography. It is incredibly light for a 500 consumer lens which makes it great for hand-holding. At first I shot it with a D90 and the AF system didn't work so well with it. I ended up getting a D300 and once I had it fine tuned it performs very well for what it is.. I found that it really performs best under 150 Feet, but I'm a birder, with larger objects it holds up better. I recently got a Tokina 300 F2.8 and I shoot with that now. I'm still thinking about selling the Tamron but haven't yet. Here's my flickr gallery shot with the Tamron http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Tamron+200+500&w=63476818%40N08&s=rec

Here's my best...Audubon Magazine 2012 Top 100 and Photo of the Year on The Photo Forum.. Taken with the Tamron 200-500

A few more from my gallery here...

-- hide signature --

My sober voyage into bird photography
http://www.facebook.com/KristoferRowePhotography

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
photodgm
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Kris in CT, 10 months ago

Have used and still own this lens. Very light for 500mm, needs good motor in camera for AF D300 is fine, from memory softer beyond 470mm, optically good BUT needs good light to impress.

-- hide signature --

It's all about light

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921
Like?

I have one and use it for airshows. The light weight helps quite a bit, image quality is also good.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

richard stern
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?

I had one a few years ago when I had a D70s, and loved it. Now I use a D7000 and 300 f/4 AF-S and 1.7TC, which is sharper, but I miss the light weight and zoom of the Tammy. Here is a pic shot with the D70s and Tammy, which came 1st in a DpReview Challenge.

-- hide signature --

Richard (rb_stern),
www.pbase.com/rb_stern
richard-s.smugmug.com

bflood
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to richard stern, 10 months ago

I have the Tamron 200-500 and use it with a D7000. At first I was disappointed with the lens, but gradually I learned that 1) like Kris in CT, it gives best results for subjects within about 50 yards, and 2) I needed a better support. I can't hand hold a lens that long, and always use a tripod, but that wasn't enough. A tripod/head setup that works well for shorter lenses and has the weight-carrying capacity for the longer lens may not be a satisfactory setup for a long lens.  I was using a Manfrotto tripod (perfectly adequate) with a Manfrotto 496 ball head that was inadequate for a 400 or 500 mm lens. The head has sufficient weight carrying ability, but the quick disconnect plate was about 1.5" square, too small to provide a vibration-free platform for a long lens. I moved to the Manfrotto 054 head with the Q5 plate. That plate is about 2" wide and about 3.5" long, which give a much more stable platform for long lenses. My image sharpness improved dramatically.

As others have said, the lens is very light for its 500 mm length, so if you have good hand-holding technique, you may find it won't necessarily require a tripod for you. It gets noticeably softer for subjects over 50 yards away, but I understand this is common among long zooms.  My 80-400 VR does the same thing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads