LR Catalog Refresh

Started Jun 19, 2013 | Questions
rfactor
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
LR Catalog Refresh
Jun 19, 2013

My hard drive was starting to get pretty cluttered so I went through "My Photos" on my pc and erased a bunch of horrible snap shots and reorganized a bit.  What is the best way to update my Light Room Catalog and pull out all the deleted photos?  I don't really want to go through each photo and "find missing photo" for the ones I moved to a different folder.  I just ordered a new computer and plan on upgrading to LR5 within the next few weeks.

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?
Re: LR Catalog Refresh
In reply to rfactor, Jun 19, 2013

rfactor wrote:

My hard drive was starting to get pretty cluttered so I went through "My Photos" on my pc and erased a bunch of horrible snap shots and reorganized a bit. What is the best way to update my Light Room Catalog and pull out all the deleted photos? I don't really want to go through each photo and "find missing photo" for the ones I moved to a different folder. I just ordered a new computer and plan on upgrading to LR5 within the next few weeks.

Someone might come back with a way, but I don't know of one.

Best is to re-organise and delete photos within Lightroom, not to do it outside Lightroom, or as Lightroom gets rather confused.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rfactor
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon Garrett, Jun 19, 2013

Most of the files that are missing or lost are files that I have not edited. Would it work to remove missing files from LR, and then do an import of "my photos"/"only new photos" and then organize them from there?

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Simon Garrett
Like?

I'm not sure what the effect would be.  Whatever you do, I strongly recommend you backup all files and the Lightroom catalog before doing it!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
Barry Margolius
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?

Unless I misunderstand your problem, it's quite easy.  In Lightroom, highlight your primary image folder, and then right click on it (I'm a Windows user, but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent), and select "Synchronize Folder".

There will be a delay, and then a dialog box will come up telling you how many images it plans to remove from the catalog, and giving you additional options.

-barry

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Margolius, Jun 20, 2013

Barry Margolius wrote:

Unless I misunderstand your problem, it's quite easy. In Lightroom, highlight your primary image folder, and then right click on it (I'm a Windows user, but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent), and select "Synchronize Folder".

There will be a delay, and then a dialog box will come up telling you how many images it plans to remove from the catalog, and giving you additional options.

But if you moved some, that's a whole different story.  Apparently you didnt' read the part where you delete files and move files WITHIN Lightroom, not outside it.  It is quite easy because you can see what you are deleting and then it is gone (to the recycle bin on Windows) and no cleanup necdessary.  But that's for next time...

Or you could take your back (you do have one, right?) and start over with this cleanup project.

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Barry Margolius
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Jun 20, 2013

JudyN wrote:

Barry Margolius wrote:

Unless I misunderstand your problem, it's quite easy. In Lightroom, highlight your primary image folder, and then right click on it (I'm a Windows user, but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent), and select "Synchronize Folder".

But if you moved some, that's a whole different story. Apparently you didnt' read the part where you delete files and move files WITHIN Lightroom, not outside it. It is quite easy because you can see what you are deleting and then it is gone (to the recycle bin on Windows) and no cleanup necdessary. But that's for next time...

Or you could take your back (you do have one, right?) and start over with this cleanup project.

-- hide signature --

Judy

Even if you moved some files, I think the synchronize will work.  If you moved, for example, one file Lightroom would just think you deleted 1 file and added 1 file in a different place; not knowing that it was the same file.

-barry

Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
There is the easy way, the pain in the ass way and the real PITA way
In reply to rfactor, Jun 20, 2013

1. The easy way is to restore your pre-purge backup and do it all again within Lightroom, so that Lightroom knows what has been moved and what has been deleted.

2. If the deleted images are still in your trash there is a way that is a bit of a PITA.

• First you select all the files that have the ? icon
  • Add the keyword "missing" (or some other unique keyword) to all these missing images
  • Go to the trash and restore the deleted images.
  • Return to Lightroom Library module and filter the images by keyword "missing"
  • The ? will have vanished from the now restored files but will still be there for the moved files.
  • Select all the restored files, which no longer have the ? icon, and delete them from within Lightroom.
  • The remaining files with the ? icon are the ones you moved. You will need to locate them manually I'm afraid.

3. If you cleared the trash you are SOL. Your only option (I know of) is to restore a backup or manually locate each one and work out if it was moved or deleted. Real PITA.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
f/2.8 is a smaller number than f/22 in the same way that 100 is a smaller number than 20.
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?

As Barry said

Synchronise folders - easy

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Mark K W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082
Like?

Barry Margolius wrote:

JudyN wrote:

Barry Margolius wrote:

But if you moved some, that's a whole different story. Apparently you didnt' read the part where you delete files and move files WITHIN Lightroom, not outside it. It is quite easy because you can see what you are deleting and then it is gone (to the recycle bin on Windows) and no cleanup necdessary. But that's for next time...

-- hide signature --

Judy

Even if you moved some files, I think the synchronize will work. If you moved, for example, one file Lightroom would just think you deleted 1 file and added 1 file in a different place; not knowing that it was the same file.

Unless you use XML into the files or sidecar, then when you move files Synchronize will not pick up the LR Develop adjustments made before the move.

If you write out the xml data (or sidecar) before the move (and then for RAWs also moved the sidecar alongside the image) Synchronize will restore the adjustments made before the move.

If an image is missing then you cannot copy or save metadata from it so I do not think there is any easy post-move and mid-resynchronise way to retain earlier adjustments. The only way to have done this retaining adjustments and history was to have done the move from inside LR.

-- hide signature --
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?

Barry Margolius wrote:

Even if you moved some files, I think the synchronize will work. If you moved, for example, one file Lightroom would just think you deleted 1 file and added 1 file in a different place; not knowing that it was the same file.

-barry

Maybe but there's still a potential problem.  If it thinks it's a new file you might lose any information it had about the other file.  Any metadata (keyword tags or other metadata) as well as any edits UNLESS you had dutifully written out the metadata to the files.  Even then you would lose things like collections the file might have been in.

For moved files, you can tell Lightroom to find them and then everything would be retained.  I do that when I move my entire image directory -- I just point it to the new location.  For individual files, it would be laborious I would think.

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Simon Garrett
Like?
All this contradictory advice...

All the contradictory advice here, if it says one thing loud and clear: "Make sure you have a backup of images, sidecar files and Lightroom catalog before doing anything even slightly adventurous".

-- hide signature --

Simon

Nikon D800
Barry Margolius
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Jun 20, 2013

JudyN wrote:

Barry Margolius wrote:

-barry

Maybe but there's still a potential problem. If it thinks it's a new file you might lose any information it had about the other file. Any metadata (keyword tags or other metadata) as well as any edits UNLESS you had dutifully written out the metadata to the files. Even then you would lose things like collections the file might have been in.

For moved files, you can tell Lightroom to find them and then everything would be retained. I do that when I move my entire image directory -- I just point it to the new location. For individual files, it would be laborious I would think.

-- hide signature --

Judy

You and Mark are both right.  I was just thinking about the image files, and I overlooked things like collections, sidecars, and metadata.  Good points.

It won't solve all of the above problems, but religiously writing metadata to your image files helps with one of them, if you have image files that can "hold" metadata.

-barry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads