Olympus E-PL5 Real-world Review

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions
brianhockenstein
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Olympus E-PL5 Real-world Review
Jun 18, 2013

I thought you guys may be interested in this real-world look at the E-PL5 from a Whistler-based photographer:

http://33mag.com/en/2013/06/13/real-world-reviews-olympus-epl5-most-perfectest-camera-world

Enjoy!

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jerrysdean43
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 Real-world Review
In reply to brianhockenstein, Jun 18, 2013

I was reading your review with interest until I came to this offensive remark, then I quit reading.

Things I fu----- love about this camera:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Party1999
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

thanks for sharing. Interesting.

Party1999
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

brianhockenstein wrote:

I thought you guys may be interested in this real-world look at the E-PL5 from a Whistler-based photographer:

http://33mag.com/en/2013/06/13/real-world-reviews-olympus-epl5-most-perfectest-camera-world

Enjoy!

FYI, that statement would be better if you'd give a picture count instead of "a week": Battery seems to last forever (like a week!)

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
In reply to jerrysdean43, Jun 18, 2013

jerrysdean43 wrote:

I was reading your review with interest until I came to this offensive remark, then I quit reading.

Things I fu----- love about this camera:

LOL, some people should not be allowed to use the internet.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

jerrysdean43
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jun 18, 2013

I am not a prude, just do not see the need for offensive language in a camera review!

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,068Gear list
Like?

I too feel a bit offended. Lack of style/taste thing. I'm not a prude, but some people think it's cool to be offensive; it's not. Neither is inventing unnecessary new variations of perfectly good old words. And sticking them in the title!  Example: "perfectest."

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Jun 18, 2013

captura wrote:

I too feel a bit offended. Lack of style/taste thing. I'm not a prude, but some people think it's cool to be offensive; it's not. Neither is inventing unnecessary new variations of perfectly good old words. And sticking them in the title! Example: "perfectest."

The next generation of "photographers"...probably written on his iPad with the telephoto lens.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
xMichaelx
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

jerrysdean43 wrote:

I am not a prude ...

Any time it occurs to you to start a sentence with these words, rest assured that you are indeed a prude.

There is nothing offensive about that word, or any other. And if you're that easily offended, photography may not be the hobby for you. I suggest watching Teletubbies instead, where you can be safe from the adult world around us at all times.

LeeS
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

For me the credibility was diminished more by the factual inaccuracies than the gratuitous use of the f-word.  For example, he laments that the E-PL5 cannot shoot 8fps like his DSLR.  Well actually it can although not with continuous AF.

Also what is this 24 mm f/1.8 lens he is shooting with?  Perhaps it is actually the 17.

Lee

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
ThePalindrome
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Lenses?

Thanks for that review, much more useful than those reviews that consist of spec recitation or some kind of synthetic test setups. It's much more useful to see how it performs in the real world, especially by someone who is used to big DSLRs.

Just one question: What are thses lenses: "12mm f2.8 and a 24mm f1.8 primes" ? Not native Olympus M43 lenses, or are they?

ThePalindrome's gear list:ThePalindrome's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
ThePalindrome
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
In reply to Party1999, Jun 18, 2013

Saying the battery lasts 345 shots tells you exactly nothing more than "a week" because it much depends on the way you use the screen, carrying it around switched on , flash use etc, IMO.

ThePalindrome's gear list:ThePalindrome's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
jerrysdean43
Like?
In reply to xMichaelx, Jun 18, 2013

You sir are a very offensive rude individual and add to today's low morals, if you think that f--- is not offensive to some people. My view on profanity has nothing to do with being a photographer.

Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098
Like?
In reply to xMichaelx, Jun 18, 2013

xMichaelx wrote:

jerrysdean43 wrote:

I am not a prude ...

Any time it occurs to you to start a sentence with these words, rest assured that you are indeed a prude.

There is nothing offensive about that word, or any other. And if you're that easily offended, photography may not be the hobby for you. I suggest watching Teletubbies instead, where you can be safe from the adult world around us at all times.

Perhaps you may speak like that to your mother and other adults?  Good for you that you associate with people who are not easily offended.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses? ...and Price?
In reply to ThePalindrome, Jun 18, 2013

ThePalindrome wrote:

Thanks for that review, much more useful than those reviews that consist of spec recitation or some kind of synthetic test setups. It's much more useful to see how it performs in the real world, especially by someone who is used to big DSLRs.

Just one question: What are thses lenses: "12mm f2.8 and a 24mm f1.8 primes" ? Not native Olympus M43 lenses, or are they?

A real world review with either a lot of errors, or photogrpaher who has no idea what he is using.

What is the 12 2.8?

What is the 24 1.8?

Where did you find the body for $499.00?

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

I don't care so much about words that today are bad but a hundred years in the past or future are acceptable.

What I did find offensive and stopped me reading was that his E-PL5 could only shoot 1-2 Frames per second whereas mine and everyone else's can shoot at 8 FPS.

Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
Re: Lenses? ...and Price?
In reply to happypoppeye, Jun 18, 2013

That's what I paid for an E-PL5 body in April - Olympus had them at $50 off.

Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,161
Like?
You called me a jerk. Pistols at dawn?

I quote from your dasterdly slander, sir:

For those of you who revel in twenty page reviews full of tech specs and all kinds of useless info written by some jerk in an office somewhere, there are plenty of those to be found online:

Official Olympus EPL-5 product page (sic)

Crazy in-depth review at Image Resource (sic)

I happen to be the guy who wrote the "shooter's report" section of the Imaging Resource review you linked to.

A jerk? A jerk? Really?

I'll have you know that on alternate Tuesdays I am kind to children. And usually also to puppies. Plus, my mother -- God rest her soul -- thought I was swell and often told me so.

However, I admit that I'm writing this from an office somewhere.

Cordially,

The Jerk

p.s. Really like your shot of the pooch.

brianhockenstein
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: You called me a jerk. Pistols at dawn?
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Jun 18, 2013

Thanks everyone for their feedback!

This was my first camera review and made a few mistakes. Something told me posting it on this forum would help me find them

Two important corrections are made, the 24mm I referred to should have read 45mm (an amazing piece of glass) and of course, I somehow missed that there is a high-speed mode that indeed shoots at 8 fps. I can only say that I am absolutely blown away that this baby can do this and frankly just didn't expect it to come anywhere close so did not look close enough. Thanks to all those who pointed out my mistakes.

To those offended by the language. Perhaps I should have pout some sort of warning on my original posting here, I apologize for that. I meant to offend no one, that's just the way I talk when I get excited. And this camera got me really, really excited. No need for insults or put-downs though, we are all entitled to our own opinions but that also means being tolerant of others.

To the guy I called a jerk. Triple apologies!  Again, I tend to get excited and type without really thinking about things. I assure you I meant it as a joke, which completely failed, which is a true testament to my sense of humour ... ie. terrible! I am sure you're a super rad dude, if for no other reason than because you said something nice about my dog Luka (but I'm sure for lots of other really good reasons too!)

It's exciting to see such passion and fire around this little camera and photography in general, it just goes to show what a passionate endeavour we are involved in. If any of you are ever in Whistler Canada, drop me a note and let's go shoot. I promise not to swear ... too much!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads