OSX alternative to Breezebrowser?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
tdhg566
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
OSX alternative to Breezebrowser?
10 months ago

My new laptop is an MBA (largest of the new models), and so far I haven't found any software to replace what Breezebrowser did for me on Windows. There is no recent (within last year) posting on this forum regarding Breezebrowser. Maybe something has surfaced in the last year? I would rather not run a virtual Windows if I can avoid it.

On OSX, what do other people use for fast browsing of raw and jpg files, visual file management and metadata manipulation in images? Photo Mechanic? (seems expensive for just that)

?

Thanks in advance.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: OSX alternative to Breezebrowser?
In reply to tdhg566, 10 months ago

tdhg566 wrote:

My new laptop is an MBA (largest of the new models), and so far I haven't found any software to replace what Breezebrowser did for me on Windows. There is no recent (within last year) posting on this forum regarding Breezebrowser. Maybe something has surfaced in the last year? I would rather not run a virtual Windows if I can avoid it.

On OSX, what do other people use for fast browsing of raw and jpg files, visual file management and metadata manipulation in images? Photo Mechanic? (seems expensive for just that)

?

Thanks in advance.

I don't because I use Sigma cameras but iPhoto, which comes with all Macs, should do that just fine.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,011Gear list
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 10 months ago

There are many options.  Built in is iPhoto, but it does way more than just "browse" your images, and it works somewhat differently than a simple browser.  For more professional usage, there is the Apple program "Aperture" for $79 in the App store.  However, for just simple browsing OS X has a built in program called "Preview" which allows you to browse through a folder of images quickly.  Also, if you open up a folder with images in it, click on the first image, then hit the space bar, you get "QuickView" which also allows you to just browse through images by hitting the right or left arrow keys.  Google offers it's free Picasa software which also catalogues and allows browsing.  There are a ton of freeware or shareware light weight browsers.  Some like either "Xee" or "Lyn".  Go to the MacUpdate site and do a search on Image Browser.  You will find tons.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,467
Like?

I've used PhotoMechanic since its inception and can highly recommend it.  It has a ton of functionality, but try the 20 day free trial to see what you think.  It does seem expensive, but over the past 10 years, I think I've only had to pay upgrade fees a couple of times and they were discounted.  Support is incredible, too.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

graybalanced
Senior MemberPosts: 3,641
Like?

tdhg566 wrote:

On OSX, what do other people use for fast browsing of raw and jpg files, visual file management and metadata manipulation in images? Photo Mechanic? (seems expensive for just that

If the purpose is to save tons of time, Photo Mechanic is probably it. I don't even use it, but what I understand of Photo Mechanic it should be able to pay for itself quickly based on what your time is worth, especially if you're a photo business and not just a hobbyist.

DiploStrat
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?

With respect, your question is not uncommon for Windows users moving to a Mac; they ask for the application-to-replace-the-application. I would suggest that a better solution would be for you outline what you want to do and how best to do it on a Mac.

As noted, OSX will do a lot of the things you want, all by itself, for example, display RAW images. Beyond that, iPhoto, Preview, Aperture, and Lightrooms may be much better ways to proceed, rendering many of the tasks you mentioned unnecessary or irrelevant.

One reason, perhaps, why there are so few Breezebrowser like applications on the Mac side, you probably don't need them, especially if you use a non-destructive workflow.

Welcome to the bright side!

-- hide signature --

DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10 Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,437
Like?

Photo Mechanic, without a doubt.  It is a real powerhouse, but you don't have use all of its features.

Rob

Mustafa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, 10 months ago

All Macs come with an application called Image Capture, which is surprisingly powerful. I now use it as my first option for scanning, for instance.

graybalanced
Senior MemberPosts: 3,641
Like?
In reply to Mustafa, 10 months ago

Mustafa wrote:

All Macs come with an application called Image Capture, which is surprisingly powerful. I now use it as my first option for scanning, for instance.

Image Capture is something more Mac users should know about, it can do a lot. But it isn't really useful for the rapid, high-volume image processing, viewing, organization, and metadata entry that Breezebrowser or Photo Mechanic are famous for.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads