Does anyone like the canon 35mm 1.4 more than the sigma?

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646
Like?
Does anyone like the canon 35mm 1.4 more than the sigma?
Jun 18, 2013

I haven't found any review that prefers the canon.

Opinions?

pso
pso
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017
Like?
Re: Does anyone like the canon 35mm 1.4 more than the sigma?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Jun 18, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

I sold my 35L for the Sigma. Color is a little better on Canon and AF speed is a little better but as far as sharpness goes on the wider apertures, the Sigma is superior which is more important to me.

No regrets with the swap.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keithinmelbourne
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

I imagine that it's hard to say. If you already have a 35L why would you be toying with the Sigma? I have the 35L, but I'm not tempted to try the Sigma because I already love the lens I have. The Sigma may be very good, but so is my 35L There are no circumstances where any marginal, if any, advantages in IQ would lead me to change.

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D +19 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?
I have the sigma, but liked the Nikon 35g better when I was on Nikon
In reply to keithinmelbourne, Jun 18, 2013

The sigma leaved me underwhelmed. Sad really, I LOVED the Nikon 35g - it was my favorite lens. I can't place my finger on why I'm not endnotes with the sigma, so in wondering about the canon instead.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
Re: I have the sigma, but liked the Nikon 35g better when I was on Nikon

Supposed to say im not ENAMORED with the sigma.

Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947
Like?

keithinmelbourne wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

I imagine that it's hard to say. If you already have a 35L why would you be toying with the Sigma? I have the 35L, but I'm not tempted to try the Sigma because I already love the lens I have. The Sigma may be very good, but so is my 35L There are no circumstances where any marginal, if any, advantages in IQ would lead me to change.

I fully agree. and I'll stick to my 35L as well ... I'm sure my sigma 50/1.4 would be the only one and last oem lens in my system.

clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to Tizzio, Jun 18, 2013

Here is the funny part. Sigmas bokeh is dizzy compared to the 35L, sigma is colder but sharper.

Let me ask u: what's easier in post? Slight sharpen or the impossible task of making less dizzy bokeh?

Had both. Kept the 35L.

Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?
Re: I have the sigma, but liked the Nikon 35g better when I was on Nikon

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The sigma leaved me underwhelmed. Sad really, I LOVED the Nikon 35g - it was my favorite lens. I can't place my finger on why I'm not endnotes with the sigma, so in wondering about the canon instead.

I hear ya, I have the 35g in my Nikon kit. Ridiculously over priced, Feels cheap/plasticy , focuses dog slow, has excellent IQ. Have the 13yr old design 35L on old 5D, quality build, can focus circles around Nikons new G, IQ is excellent. I don't care one bit if sigma is showing superior mtf, only canon mount 35mm I will consider is the next one from canon

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189
Like?

I think the canon is actually sharper, I know the af is slightly faster. Color rendition is slightly different too. The sigma is good but bloodless imho.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?

keithinmelbourne wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

Agree. My 35L focuses perfectly, no MA. The bokeh leaves something to be desired but from what I have seen, the near DOF bokeh of the Sigma is harsher. This, and my past experience with a few Sigma lenses (15, 50, 85), makes me stay away from it.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 18, 2013

The Canon is indeed slightly sharper in the center wide open than the Sigma, but the Sigma is a *lot* sharper in the corners wide open.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
The Photo Ninja
Like?

I ordered the canon today from amazon. If its comparable to the Nikon, I'm sure I will like it better. I can't place my finger on the sigma as to why I'm not really liking it, but I'll post more after I have both in my hands.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,261Gear list
Like?
In reply to clarkent1234, Jun 18, 2013

clarkent1234 wrote:

Here is the funny part. Sigmas bokeh is dizzy compared to the 35L, sigma is colder but sharper.

I don't have the Canon 35L to test, but this site 6 months ago certainly helped me decide the Sigma was better across what seemed like every test, including the out of focus areas (or bokeh as you call it):

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-35mm-f14-vs-Canon-35mm-f14-L

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Jun 18, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

I don't have the Canon 35L to test, but this site 6 months ago certainly helped me decide the Sigma was better across what seemed like every test, including the out of focus areas (or bokeh as you call it):

Bokeh far from the focus plane is basically the same with most decent lenses (ignoring when stopped down due to different number and shape of the blades). The problems are visible close to the focus plane; to be more precise, with a relatively small blur radius.

Samsung Galaxy S III
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,261Gear list
Like?
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Jun 18, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

Bokeh far from the focus plane is basically the same with most decent lenses (ignoring when stopped down due to different number and shape of the blades). The problems are visible close to the focus plane; to be more precise, with a relatively small blur radius.

Is there are comparison you can show me what you mean that uses both lenses on the same shot? I searched and found the link above, but most tests are about sharpness or the types of shots I was showing. Thanks.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Jun 18, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

Is there are comparison you can show me what you mean that uses both lenses on the same shot? I searched and found the link above, but most tests are about sharpness or the types of shots I was showing. Thanks.

Here is one but the background is still too far. Based on that, you would conclude that there is no problem with either lens, but this is not true.

Samsung Galaxy S III
kasinp
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Jun 19, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

clarkent1234 wrote:

Had both and this comment captures my impression exactly: Sigma on all counts.  I found myself nodding at (pretty much) all published tests which say the same.  I wonder if anyone saying the two are similiar wide-open has actually tested Sigma or referred to the published test results.

Now, the new 35mm f/2 IS is another story, but then we are no longer talking f/1.4.

Peter

kasinp's gear list:kasinp's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
Brad Evans
Contributing MemberPosts: 556Gear list
Like?
In reply to keithinmelbourne, Jun 19, 2013

keithinmelbourne wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

Absolutely.  For a time I was shooting projects exclusively with my 5DII and 35L.

For what I shoot. street portraiture of strangers I engage on the street, and street photography, the character of the lens at wider apertures was nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't have wanted to go with anything else.

Here's a set of street portraits  I shot  in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood for a project, all with the 35L. IMO, for that kind of subject matter, there is no better lens.

Brad

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brad Evans, Jun 19, 2013

Brad Evans wrote:

keithinmelbourne wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Opinions?

Absolutely. For a time I was shooting projects exclusively with my 5DII and 35L.

For what I shoot. street portraiture of strangers I engage on the street, and street photography, the character of the lens at wider apertures was nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't have wanted to go with anything else.

Here's a set of street portraits I shot in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood for a project, all with the 35L. IMO, for that kind of subject matter, there is no better lens.

Brad

Excellent stuff imo, like your style . You might like some work from my dear friend Glenn who showed me the ropes in nyc when he lived here (now in CO) He shoots w V1 & omd oly but gets it done.

http://500px.com/blindmanshooting

http://blindmanshooting.prosite.com/

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
jffielde
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Jun 19, 2013

The Sigma is the better lens, even at the same price.  That it's cheaper too makes it a hard sell for the Canon.  I upgraded to the Sigma from the Canon L and will do so again to the Canon L II when it arrives.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads