Samsung gets it right - look here, Oly!

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,524Gear list
Like?
Samsung gets it right - look here, Oly!
Jun 18, 2013

Hey kids,

After the disappointment with the E-M5 and E-P5 I started to wonder if Olympus would ever design a camera with decent ergonomics. Hopefully Oly will take a look at Samsung's new Galaxy NX mirrorless camera, which has nailed some of the layout features the E-M5 should have had, namely:

- EFV placed towards the left

- Built-in flash (yes, it can be done Oly, even when there's an EVF) with additional hotshoe

- A nice, deep grip with (presumably) a large battery inside while retaining a slim body

The main problem with the Samsung is that it lacks room for physical controls. However, that's because it has an enormous 4.3 inch display. Knock that puppy down to 3 inches, add some dials and buttons, and Bob's your uncle.

Oly, I promise that when you bring out a camera with this layout (and 5-way IBIS) then I will, at last, upgrade my E-P3.

More info here:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-first-images-of-the-samsung-galaxy-nx-mirrorless-system-camera/

Yours in advance of being flamed,

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Samsung Galaxy NX
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung gets it right - look here, Oly!
In reply to NZ Scott, Jun 18, 2013

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

After the disappointment with the E-M5 and E-P5 I started to wonder if Olympus would ever design a camera with decent ergonomics. Hopefully Oly will take a look at Samsung's new Galaxy NX mirrorless camera, which has nailed some of the layout features the E-M5 should have had, namely:

- Built-in flash (yes, it can be done Oly, even when there's an EVF) with additional hotshoe

- A nice, deep grip with (presumably) a large battery inside while retaining a slim body

The main problem with the Samsung is that it lacks room for physical controls. However, that's because it has an enormous 4.3 inch display. Knock that puppy down to 3 inches, add some dials and buttons, and Bob's your uncle.

Oly, I promise that when you bring out a camera with this layout (and 5-way IBIS) then I will, at last, upgrade my E-P3.

More info here:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-first-images-of-the-samsung-galaxy-nx-mirrorless-system-camera/

S

-- hide signature --

That is one ugly camera, Scott.

...just saying...

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Ugh!
In reply to Ollie 2, Jun 18, 2013

I agree, that's one ugly machine. But everyone is different and given the popularity of the OMD the design is clearly a winner. Each to their own.

Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?

Ugly and the screen is fixed? Not interested.

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

That's OK if you shoot with your right eye, I use my left eye and the placement of the EVF on the EM-5 (not E-M5) means my nose doesn't touch the LCD.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Lawrence W
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?

For ergonomics, and access to control buttons, nothing in mirrorless can beat G5. It has a nice grip, EVF and as much as 5 buttons.

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D7100 +9 more
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Lawrence W, Jun 18, 2013

Lawrence W wrote:

For ergonomics, and access to control buttons, nothing in mirrorless can beat G5. It has a nice grip, EVF and as much as 5 buttons.

But it's built and looks like it came from Toys R Us.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

At least they spell it correctly

More info here:

S

-- hide signature --
 JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to JCB123, Jun 18, 2013

JCB123 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

Maybe Scott likes to call it an Electronic Finder View.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,805Gear list
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jun 18, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

That's OK if you shoot with your right eye, I use my left eye and the placement of the EVF on the EM-5 (not E-M5) means my nose doesn't touch the LCD.

No it just smashes into your hand/buttons instead.  Using my left eye I lose nothing shooting a Nex7 (hand and controls are far to the right), but with my right eye there is a lot to gain.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,805Gear list
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Hopefully Oly will take a look at Samsung's new Galaxy NX mirrorless camera,

Or any (all?) of the G/GH series.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Jun 18, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

No it just smashes into your hand/buttons instead. Using my left eye I lose nothing shooting a Nex7 (hand and controls are far to the right), but with my right eye there is a lot to gain.

I can't help it if you've a very large nose.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Jun 18, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Hopefully Oly will take a look at Samsung's new Galaxy NX mirrorless camera,

Or any (all?) of the G/GH series.

Yes, I agree - but unfortunately they don't have the 5-way image stabilisers.

-- hide signature --

-CW

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
NZ Scott
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

JCB123 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

Maybe Scott likes to call it an Electronic Finder View.

Are you children serious? This is your contribution to the discussion?

Sheesh.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

-- hide signature --
Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?

Ergonomics is a very subjective matter. My EM-5 has great ergonomics (without the additional grip) and doesn't lack external controls. Additionaly the OM-D i a very handsome camera. So, following your lead, I could as well say - Olympus gets it right - look here Samsung.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

I'm not familiar with the EM-5.  What is it?  I am very familiar with the E-M5 however.

Michael

daymon
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

Actually, it's E-M5. Sorry, couldn't help

daymon's gear list:daymon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Peter Heckert2
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?

I dont see an articulated screen.....

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Hey kids,

So you prefer your nose to be pushing the buttons down the side of the LCD? I'd not like your nose is going to scratch the thing.

Andreas Balko
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, Jun 18, 2013

Olease Olympus do not make such a ugly camera.

I really like the style of the O-MD.

-- hide signature --

Adda

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads