VF-4 is a Revelation

Started Jun 17, 2013 | Discussions
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
Re: VF-4 is a Revelation
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 18, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

point taken but it's 2003 and someone says to you “in ten year you will have to pay extra if you want to have a viewfinder with your camera” wouldn’t you have laughed in their face

In 2003 if anyone told me I'd have bought 3 $1500 DSLRs, 2 $900 CSCs, 2 $200 EVFs, 2 $1000 tele lenses, 3 $99 tele lenses, and 5 (!) standard zooms in 10 years because the manufacturers keep upgrading everything ----- I would have surely laughed in their face!

Dumb me, I thought I was set for life when I bought my E1, 14-54 and 50-200 v1........

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, Jun 18, 2013

Its 2012 and someone says that the new simpler ep5 with evf will cost you more than the upscale omd em5...

i wouldhave said olympus have shot themselves in the knees...

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote

point taken but it's 2003 and someone says to you “in ten year you will have to pay extra if you want to have a viewfinder with your camera” wouldn’t you have laughed in their face

It is 1813 and someone says to you: "in 200 years you can buy a box that creates images of the world - a box that freezes you in time" wouldn't you have laughed in their face.

The point is; reality in 2013, the Oly viewfinder is priced low compared to similar devices made by other companies in 2013.

Everything else is fantasy...

sorry, couldn't resist, just thought your 2003 analogy funny....

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 18, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Pikme wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

i can't help it but paying any money for a viewfinder seems wrong

yes, agree that Olympus should just buy these from Epson and distribute them free to anyone who wants one

and paying that much feels like robbery.

Leica EVF2 1.4m $499

Sony EVM1k 2.4m $498

Sony FDAev1s 2.4m $349

Leica EVF3 1.4m $395

Oly vf4 2.4m $279

yeah, Olympus is way out of line with that price.:-)

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

-- hide signature --

Its like buying Google Glass to some extent; get a viewfinder that will give you all the details you need and the real time variations in the pic you are taking as opposed to the OVF where you just see the focusing and nothing else.

With Google Glass you are 'augmented' which is much more than you might otherwise be with normal glasses.

I have OMD and EP3 with VF2, and atimes I lament the ability of the VF2 to tilt upwards that you don't with the OMD.

Heck I even tried popping the VF2 onto my OMD for a few shots on a monopod (the monopod was a tad bit short.)

simpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jun 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the VF-4 on the E-PM2.

I have a question: when you use the VF-4, is there any way to display the settings underneath the viewfinder image? Or is that feature reserved for the OM-D models?

Thanks!

Simon

simpy's gear list:simpy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +9 more
klauser
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
VF-4 is just ok
In reply to jalywol, Jun 18, 2013

Recently I had the chance to play with the ep-5 with the vf-4. I found that the viewfinder was ok, useable and suitable for a camera of such small size, but nothing to write home about (I use the e-3 by the way) and nothing to induce me to switching to mft.  Upon leaving the store I asked to be shown the Sony A77. Now there is an EVF which has the potential of never make the owner miss a good optical viewfinder! The Sony viewfinder felt substantially larger, its colors much more more natural. I did not notice any lag while panning - actually  it did not feel at all like looking through an EVF.

I wish that the upcoming Oly ft dslr (and the Oly representative at the ep-5 promotion confirmed that later this year there would be an Oly Slr which will use the full potential of the existing ft lenses) will rather have a Sony specced evf of the same quality as the A77 uses or an optical viewfinder not worse than what the e-3/5 are having.

K.

Werderano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535
Like?
Re: VF-4 is just ok
In reply to klauser, Jun 18, 2013

Interesting, have a look at this . The VF4 is bigger than the EVF from the nex7 and i think A77 has the same EVF than the Nex7. I had a A77 before i chanced to OMD and i prefer the EVF from the Oly, because it´s better in highcontrast and it has the faster refreshrate with less lagging. Yes it´s smaller, but the VF4 is bigger as the VF2 and the EVF from the A77.

klauser
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
Obviously you are correct,
In reply to Werderano, Jun 18, 2013

...there is barely a difference in the size of the EVF and the Oly one is even larger - my impression was entirely different though.  Thank you for pointing this out. Maybe the cramped feeling of the small Oly body fooled me.

I remember that the image in the A77 was much more "fluid", but maybe the better light in the other show room had to do with this.

Anyways I can't wait to use my hg/shg lenses with a state of the art sensor...

K.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jun 19, 2013

I love EVF's, the more they improve the better.

Good to know your opinion.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 19, 2013

How times change !

20 years ago photographers were paying top dollar to change finders and focusing screens on their cameras to suit particular lenses or shoting situations ( In my case a Nikon F4). One reason one bought a top level camera was because of its ability to perform these fuctions which their lesser brethren could not. One can choose a cheaper finder if the VF-4 is too much for one's pocket

Uncle Frank
Forum ProPosts: 21,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple???
In reply to MrScorpio, Jun 19, 2013

MrScorpio wrote:

Its 2012 and someone says that the new simpler ep5 with evf will cost you more than the upscale omd em5...

i wouldhave said olympus have shot themselves in the knees...

If you think the ep5 is simpler than the em5, you haven't read the specs yet.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Frank
Galleries at fdrphoto.smugmug.com

Uncle Frank's gear list:Uncle Frank's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-P5
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,810Gear list
Like?
geesh ... same price as G6 kit ...
In reply to jalywol, Jun 19, 2013

Outrageous price for such ergonomics ... (yes, the EVF is great, granted.)

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads