X-Pro1 focus peaking

Started Jun 17, 2013 | Discussions
Adrian Tung
Senior MemberPosts: 2,817Gear list
Like?
X-Pro1 focus peaking
Jun 17, 2013

I notice if you magnify the view to 3x to manual focus, you can often see white lines around hard edges when those edges are in focus. It doesn't seem to be actual focus peaking, but more like sharpening halos. Either way, I find them quite useful for confirming the plane of focus quickly.

Adrian Tung's gear list:Adrian Tung's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +11 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,879Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 focus peaking
In reply to Adrian Tung, Jun 17, 2013

I'm not sure that this system of focus oeaking is the best

The rendition in the EVF varies according to lens magnification light contrast, ...

Why not just a green light like I get in MF with my EOS 5D2 where the active AF sensor gets illuminated when is focus ?

The signal is vailable sinceit governs the lock on focus in AF

It's simple and does not depnd on lighting conditions, although less impressive ..

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adrian Tung
Like?
In reply to baobob, Jun 17, 2013

baobob wrote:

I'm not sure that this system of focus oeaking is the best

The rendition in the EVF varies according to lens magnification light contrast, ...

Why not just a green light like I get in MF with my EOS 5D2 where the active AF sensor gets illuminated when is focus ?

The signal is vailable sinceit governs the lock on focus in AF

It's simple and does not depnd on lighting conditions, although less impressive ..

-- hide signature --

Focus lock confirmation is not really possible without phase detection to help confirm the selected area is in-phase.

Contrast detection requires measuring contrast as a fluctuating value, problem is the peak contrast values will differ depending on the subject.

Leica D-LUX 4 Canon EOS 10D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +11 more
baobob
Like?

Agree but the signal does exist internally when using AF since this is what locks the focus

So why not associate to the peak signal a green light ??

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Adrian Tung
Like?

baobob wrote:

Agree but the signal does exist internally when using AF since this is what locks the focus

So why not associate to the peak signal a green light ??

-- hide signature --

The way I see it, there are two possible methods.

Method 1 would be similar to focus peaking, show the green box when the peak value is above a certain threshold. While this is a more consistent method, it also shares the same issues with focus peaking and is practically inferior to it. The issues would be setting a too low threshold would greenbox too easily, resulting in false positives, while setting a too high threshold would result in unresponsive/insensitive behavior. Also this only covers a small area that you point at, while peaking effectively covers the whole viewfinder.

Method 2 would be to track contrast measurement while the user is attempting to focus, once he passes the peak contrast value it can inform the user to stop and turn the other way, and keep guiding the user to turn clockwise or anticlockwise until the peak value is obtained. However, this implementation is less than ideal for two reasons. First, prior to initially passing the peak value, the system is completely clueless and expects the user to initiate the process manually. Secondly, this will only work for static, controlled scenes; fast-moving scenes will result in chaotic measurements and may even fool the system -- if it momentarily measured a very high value, then later on can no longer obtain that same value, then the system would be unable to achieve focus lock until the user manually resets it.

Method 2 could alternatively be implemented using a peaking levels display, similar to how audio recording peaking levels are displayed (where the peaks do not last and will drop after a timeout unless the constant measurements continually push the peak back up)... but while such a system may be useful for the more technically-inclined, I doubt regular photographers would welcome it.

baobob
Like?

Hope this very interesting discussion you made could be read by Fuji's

Anyway any kind of reliable MF aid is now most welcomed when using MF

My refrence Mf lens the Macro Tamron 90mm is a dream for MF due to the way the ring works (very long range) and how the lens renders in the EVF the bokeh

With this one no problem at all

In fact the worst lenses for MF are the XF (!!!!) due to the fly by wire command which does not give a consistant feeling while adjusting

Thx again

Bob

-- hide signature --

mark-vdi
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?

Adrian, I too have found the 'sharpening halos' to be a very useful focus aid.  I don't use the jpegs ooc so I have sharpening set at +2 and NR set to -2 since this this enhances the edge effect in the EVF.

Cheers, Mark

mark-vdi's gear list:mark-vdi's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
baobob
Like?
In reply to mark-vdi, Jun 17, 2013

Interesting tip indeed! Thx

-- hide signature --

Adrian Tung
Like?
In reply to mark-vdi, Jun 18, 2013

mark-vdi wrote:

Adrian, I too have found the 'sharpening halos' to be a very useful focus aid. I don't use the jpegs ooc so I have sharpening set at +2 and NR set to -2 since this this enhances the edge effect in the EVF.

Cheers, Mark

That's interesting to know. I did try different levels of sharpening but didn't notice much difference... perhaps because I was looking at hard edges, and I should experiment again on softer subjects.

I too don't use the JPGs but shoot RAW+JPG since this allows me to magnify more in the image review to evaluate detail and sharpness.

Adrian Tung
Like?
In reply to baobob, Jun 18, 2013

baobob wrote:

Hope this very interesting discussion you made could be read by Fuji's

Anyway any kind of reliable MF aid is now most welcomed when using MF

My refrence Mf lens the Macro Tamron 90mm is a dream for MF due to the way the ring works (very long range) and how the lens renders in the EVF the bokeh

With this one no problem at all

In fact the worst lenses for MF are the XF (!!!!) due to the fly by wire command which does not give a consistant feeling while adjusting

Thx again

Bob

-- hide signature --

I used to have the old Tamron 90mm macro (non-Di version), it was a very nice lens indeed, but perhaps a bit noisy for AF.

The best MF lenses are those purpose-built for manual focus, e.g. legacy rangefinder and SLR lenses. I currently have the Zeiss ZM 35/2.0 Biogon, ZM 50/2.0 Planar and Voigtlander 75/1.8 Heliar Classic which I use with the Leica M9P, but since that camera has been sent for repairs since... forever(!), I'm starting to try them on the X-Pro1.

I agree Fuji XF lenses' fly-by-wire implementation is subpar; they're a lot better than the original X100 but still inferior in responsiveness to other manufacturers (Sony E lenses and m43 lenses). But that is fine for me because I will rarely use XF lenses for MF, they can AF very well after all.

The best fly-by-wire implementation that I have used is from Canon, actually. The 85L is a fly-by-wire lens, but the action is very smooth, responsive, and most importantly, the turn is 1:1. This means, if you turn the focus ring 20 degrees, the focusing helicoid/barrel/thingy also turns exactly 20 degrees, there is no acceleration or variable movement depending on how fast/slow you turn.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads