Samsung 85mm f/1.4 on sale at Amazon.

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung 85mm f/1.4 on sale at Amazon.
In reply to psperl, Jun 18, 2013

psperl wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. The lens is sitting on my doorstep right now so I will get a chance to try it out tonight.

I wish I was better at explaining. It will all be obvious when you use the lens Also, the lens is great AF on nearish (portrait) type scenarios. It just likes a tweak of MF user guidance for focussing out beyond 15-20 metres reliably, if doubling up as a general purpose medium tele, or, as you say, the af trundles through the full range.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,236Gear list
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Jun 18, 2013

timedrun wrote:

psperl wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. The lens is sitting on my doorstep right now so I will get a chance to try it out tonight.

I wish I was better at explaining. It will all be obvious when you use the lens Also, the lens is great AF on nearish (portrait) type scenarios. It just likes a tweak of MF user guidance for focussing out beyond 15-20 metres reliably, if doubling up as a general purpose medium tele, or, as you say, the af trundles through the full range.

-- hide signature --

I will have to try mine on my NX300 to see how it focuses at infinity, the 45mm f/1.8 has been glued to my camera since I got it

A note to psperl, set your camera to have DMF enabled (direct manual focus) and set the focus aid to the one you want, zoom in and/or focus peaking, and when you tweak the focus ring you can get critical focus where you want really easily.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
psperl
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Jun 18, 2013

viking79 wrote:

A note to psperl, set your camera to have DMF enabled (direct manual focus) and set the focus aid to the one you want, zoom in and/or focus peaking, and when you tweak the focus ring you can get critical focus where you want really easily.

Eric

Wow this lens is serious.  The front lens is massive and you can get lost staring directly into it.

I can't enable DMF.  Any idea as to why?  I've upgraded the lens and body to the newest firmware.  I am shooting in one of the PASM modes with selection AF, focus peaking, and no MF Assist Zoom.  The manual doesn't say why DMF would be grayed out.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but 15 minutes of flipping settings and I can't get it.

psperl's gear list:psperl's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Timmbits
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
Cross-border shipping with horrendous "brokerage" fees from some shippers: beware!
In reply to Troutguy, Jun 19, 2013

Troutguy wrote:

price sounds good but Canadian buyers will have to pay import duty and it will add considerable to the price.

hmm yes. that is why I never buy from a seller who ships UPS or DHL. what these companies do, is they broker it themselves (with or without your authorization), calculate GST+PST, and charge you double that amount (the second half being their brokerage fee).

They get customers opening accounts by charging competitive cross-border shipping rates, because they recoup multiples of that from the buyer.

For this reason, I ALWAYS make sure the seller ships USPS, or if the seller isn't in the USA, via regular mail or via EMS.  These all end up at the post office, and it is a roll of the dice as to whether your shipment will be intercepted for taxes or not.  I order a LOT on the web... thousands $ a year as I have stuff coming in several days a week, and I can attest that most of the time, it doesn't get intercepted and you save.

If your seller has made a business decision that they will only ship UPS or DHL, then do business with someone else.

Another thing, ebay is being pursued in North-America to collect extra fees, and have implemented a change to their system where they show import fees:  I never order from a seller who accepted this transition and who's listings show the import fees, but I don't actually know whether or not those get charged or if it is just an estimate.  If someone knows and could enlighten us on that... please.

Timmbits's gear list:Timmbits's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
Timmbits
Like?
In reply to hootsmon, Jun 19, 2013

hootsmon wrote:

Holy mashed potatoes, Batman! That is an excellent price for such a quality lens.

I think that should be "holy smashed potatoes, Batman!" 

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS +4 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,236Gear list
Like?
In reply to psperl, Jun 19, 2013

psperl wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Wow this lens is serious. The front lens is massive and you can get lost staring directly into it.

I can't enable DMF. Any idea as to why? I've upgraded the lens and body to the newest firmware. I am shooting in one of the PASM modes with selection AF, focus peaking, and no MF Assist Zoom. The manual doesn't say why DMF would be grayed out.

Okay, this is normal, I think it is because that lens doesn't need it since the focus ring is manually coupled (not focus by wire like most NX lenses), I couldn't remember if it was greyed out for DMF.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but 15 minutes of flipping settings and I can't get it.

Sorry, I led you down that path.  I think you can still set the manual focus assist of either zooming in or focus peaking or both.  If you have it set to zoom in it should automatically zoom in when you turn the focus ring.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
psperl
Like?
In reply to viking79, Jun 19, 2013

I can't enable DMF. Any idea as to why? I've upgraded the lens and body to the newest firmware. I am shooting in one of the PASM modes with selection AF, focus peaking, and no MF Assist Zoom. The manual doesn't say why DMF would be grayed out.

Okay, this is normal, I think it is because that lens doesn't need it since the focus ring is manually coupled (not focus by wire like most NX lenses), I couldn't remember if it was greyed out for DMF.

Sorry, I led you down that path. I think you can still set the manual focus assist of either zooming in or focus peaking or both. If you have it set to zoom in it should automatically zoom in when you turn the focus ring.

Eric

Thanks, Eric.  I've got Focus Peaking on, but I don't find a lot of value in the magnification.  It seems like the focus peaking is less effective and the view is very shaky.  Maybe its one more thing I need to get used to.

Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
Re: Cross-border shipping with horrendous "brokerage" fees from some shippers: beware!
In reply to Timmbits, Jun 19, 2013

Henry's in Toronto seems to have great prices, including on Samsung.

timedrun
Like?

I turn off focus assist with this lens, I either use the lens totally in MF or just use the MF to guide the AF in the fight direction. I find it off-putting to have it magnify.

-- hide signature --

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Zdman
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?

Don't stress about manual focus as the autofocus is pretty accurate. I love old manual focus lenses and although 80% of my shots are still made with manual lenses even I will trust the camera on this one. Rather concetrate on holding the lens as steady as possible and let the camera get the focus right and take a few extra shots. Use single point autofocus and set the square relatively small (the 7mm one).

timedrun
Like?
In reply to Zdman, Jun 19, 2013

I agree. Its virtually impossible to mf this lens in the field. The AF does a better job, it just sometimes needs guidance.

-- hide signature --

psperl
Like?
In reply to Zdman, Jun 19, 2013

Zdman wrote:

Don't stress about manual focus as the autofocus is pretty accurate. I love old manual focus lenses and although 80% of my shots are still made with manual lenses even I will trust the camera on this one. Rather concetrate on holding the lens as steady as possible and let the camera get the focus right and take a few extra shots. Use single point autofocus and set the square relatively small (the 7mm one).

Maybe its just me but it seems that the AF doesn't always focus on the eyes perfectly. Coupled with the shallow DOF from the 85mm @ f/1.4, focusing on the wrong part of the face can be less than ideal. If I take enough shots the AF will usually get a few good ones, but with the focus box so small I find it hard to reliably place the box in the right spot. Manual focus with peaking just seems like a really intuitive and easy way to get perfect focus, especially with the huge mechanical focus ring on the 85.

Over the next few weeks I'll get some experience with this lens and see how I feel then.

On the positive side of things, my wife saw a few 85mm shots I took this morning of my daughter and no longer thinks the lens a waste of money. She now understands what I mean by "professional lens."

Timmbits
Like?
In reply to psperl, Aug 11, 2013

psperl wrote:

Maybe its just me but it seems that the AF doesn't always focus on the eyes perfectly. Coupled with the shallow DOF from the 85mm @ f/1.4, focusing on the wrong part of the face can be less than ideal. If I take enough shots the AF will usually get a few good ones, but with the focus box so small I find it hard to reliably place the box in the right spot.

You are allowed to use a smaller opening than f/1.4 you know!  

Timmbits
Like?
Re: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for under $400
In reply to supeyugin1, Aug 11, 2013

supeyugin1 wrote:

I was following the price of that lens on Amazon, and today it fell down to $616. It may be a father's days special, but it may fall again even more, I don't know. I was following for a few months, and the price fell from around $770 to 616 in a month. I decided to pull a trigger and ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007261AZE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3G19UOFL4CE7M

Samyang / Rokinon offer a nice 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens for the Samsung NX mount... and it is half the price of the Samsung lens.  (under $400 shipping included)

atarget
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Aug 16, 2013

I got Rokinon 85mmf/1.4 for about 250 USD  (new) and I love it.

It's 100% manual lens but I'm a manual guy, too:)

In fact I bought Pentax version for my K-5 (one with aperture shaft- so it's only manual focus on Pentax body) .  It works flawlessly with PK-NX adapter on myNX1000.

atarget
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Timmbits, Aug 16, 2013

Timmbits wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

I was following the price of that lens on Amazon, and today it fell down to $616. It may be a father's days special, but it may fall again even more, I don't know. I was following for a few months, and the price fell from around $770 to 616 in a month. I decided to pull a trigger and ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007261AZE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3G19UOFL4CE7M

Samyang / Rokinon offer a nice 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens for the Samsung NX mount... and it is half the price of the Samsung lens. (under $400 shipping included)

I think you're referring to this one :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R2ES/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the other post I made a mention of it......

Timmbits
Like?
In reply to atarget, Aug 20, 2013

atarget wrote:

In the other post I made a mention of it......

I guess I missed your post (are apologies in order?)   Now I won't re-mention any links, just to make sure I don't get scolded - but it appears it's a lot cheaper on amazon.com than amazon.ca - just so that some international shoppers know to check both the local and the .com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads