Steve McCurry - Stolen Childhoods

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions
agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Steve McCurry - Stolen Childhoods
Jun 16, 2013

This guy is one of the greats, I know, but his work never ceases to amaze me!

Check out his 'Stolen Childhoods' work on his blog:

http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/stolen-childhoods/

Every one of these images evokes emotion, is thought provoking and tells a story.

The only way to create such work with such power is to have strong connection and empathy with your subjects - it is evident in every one of these images.

You can tell that so much more has gone into these images than just taking technically great shots. There is so much more depth to them - like he has spent time living amongst his subjects, not just visiting and being a witness.

It's great to check in every now and then with such great photographers to get a reality check

photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve McCurry - Stolen Childhoods
In reply to agogo, Jun 16, 2013

thanks for sharing this link.

Incredibly powerful images.

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve McCurry - Stolen Childhoods

I had to see if there were any youtube vids of Steve McCurry to get an idea of what makes his mind tick and I came across this great vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibqZQQKssA

Reminds me when I was a kid in Disneyland with my family long time ago.

I was sitting with my mom, dad and sister on a bench.  We were tired, but happy and enjoying a meal.

A young girl, she couldn't have been more than 12 years old, came up to us and asked if she could take a picture of us, to which we gladly obliged.  I remember feeling proud that someone would want to take a picture of our family.

How much more interesting and beautiful would our pictures be if we would take this brave approach?   I guess nowadays, people would put up a fuss.  But I guess, that's the point - asking first.  If they say 'no' - you respect their wish.  If 'yes' - the opportunity is there to create a beautiful image!

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Stolen Childhoods ....sies

something missing and to me they look like a commercial photographer doing doco.

The contents(sic) is good but the delivery is somehow poors (sic), there doesnt appear to be any relationship where the photographer has drawns(sic) anything out and the content is lacking by this casualness(s)..(s). Was his return ticket already booked, did he have to rush home ...these pictures look like something you pay a guide to take you to and then you nick off to the next one.

childhoods (sic) ...something wrong in the grammar me thinks and for me the bad grammar sort of sums it up.

agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Ok then, lets see some examples........
In reply to oneANT, Jun 16, 2013

......of work that you think cuts the mustard.

I'm genuinely curious to see what you consider good doco photography and to know your opinions as to why they are good and why they are better - a fair request no?

something missing and to me they look like a commercial photographer doing doco.

The contents(sic) is good but the delivery is somehow poors (sic), there doesnt appear to be any relationship where the photographer has drawns(sic) anything out and the content is lacking by this casualness(s)..(s). Was his return ticket already booked, did he have to rush home ...these pictures look like something you pay a guide to take you to and then you nick off to the next one.

childhoods (sic) ...something wrong in the grammar me thinks and for me the bad grammar sort of sums it up.

By the way, the plural for childhood is childhoods. Grammar is fine, Mr N. Chomsky, since there is more than one 'lost childhood' subject/story 

Also, I know you are trying to be clever by continually using (sic), but really it's only appropriate on the last sentence of your reply (which incidentally, like your first sentence, should start with a capital letter).

Maybe you should be less bombastic if you want to be taken seriously, cupcake 

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
there you go sweet cheeks.

agogo wrote:

......of work that you think cuts the mustard.

I'm genuinely curious to see what you consider good doco photography and to know your opinions as to why they are good and why they are better - a fair request no?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51635181

and

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51637673

By the way, the plural for childhood is childhoods. Grammar is fine, Mr N. Chomsky, since there is more than one 'lost childhood' subject/story

...don't you mean to say is more than one 'lost childhoods' ...the only place I can find a plural is wiki ...seriously lol.

Also, I know you are trying to be clever by continually using (sic), but really it's only appropriate on the last sentence of your reply (which incidentally, like your first sentence, should start with a capital letter).

Maybe you should be less bombastic if you want to be taken seriously, cupcake

there you go sweet cheeks (all in lowercase)...

Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
Re: there you go sweet cheeks.
In reply to oneANT, Jun 17, 2013

Geeze. I'm hungry all of a sudden.

Regarding the images there does seem to be something lacking. Despite the dire circumstances, these are the kind of staged faces one sees on late night TV asking for donations to UNICEF. Their sweetness belies their predicament and so they do seem contrived.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads