LF1 Vs Other : LX7, S110, RX100

Started Jun 15, 2013 | Discussions
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,858Gear list
Like?
Re: LF1 Vs Other : LX7, S110, RX100
In reply to utomo99, Jun 15, 2013

The first link for the LX7 comparison has a lot of false claims.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,812Gear list
Like?
little sense
In reply to utomo99, Jun 16, 2013

These are two entirely different cameras aimed at different types of users. Comparing them makes little sense. Panasonic created the LF1 for those who look at zoom range and megapixels first; in other words the mass consumer market. I'm more interested in lens speed and the variable aspect ratio sensor implementation.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?

Complete and utter rubbish 90% of the claims are false. All of these are false on the first link

LX7:

• Has a two-stage shutter (Yes)
  • Has manual white balance (Yes)
  • Has manual exposure (Yes on photo and video, vs no on video on the LF1)
  • Notably more megapixel (photo) (same actual pixel count with a wider crop)
  • Has manual shutter speed (yes)
  • Has a brand lens (Leica lens)
  • Has WiFi (Who cares?)
  • Lens (doesn't tell the full story of F/5.9 at the tele end for the LF1)

Complete and utter rubbish.

-- hide signature --
 Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,170Gear list
Like?

The 2 cameras reviews are superficial and they rate things as advantages that have no real meaning for me.  Right now, my major "want" is a replacement for my aging S90.

It is used mostly as a pocketable camera that won't drag down one side of a suit or tux jacket on cruises, or at parties or dinners.  The f/2 lens and good high ISO performance (ISO 1600 and even 3200) are key factors.  For its primary use, I don't need a longer focal length than the 105 mm equivalent on the S90.  Obviously, size and weight are important criteria.  I don't do video, and most shots are printed at 4" x 6" or 5" x 7", although some are printed as a borderless 8.5" x 11".  My G15 is plenty good enough for this application; but is a little big and a little heavy.  It would do in a pinch.

The RX100 is a little larger, a lot heavier (especially with a Franiec grip added - my S90 has one), and it's very expensive.  It's also about to be replaced by the RX100 II (AKA RX200) with hot shoe, optional EVF, and a tilting LCD. Much larger sensor promises lower noise at high ISO.

S110 is very similar to the S90, about the same size and weight, has a longer and wider lens that is slower at the long end.  Uses similar sensor and processor to my G15, which is much better at high ISO than the S90.  Needs an add on front grip.  Comes with a real charger, not a USB power supply  We'll have to see what Canon offers for 2014.

LF1 is similar in size and weight to my S90.  Also needs a front grip.  Built in EVF is a strong feature for me for outdoor use.  Lens is slow at 200 mm; but noticeably faster than the RX100, S90, and S110 at 100 mm.  Since I would seldom use the 200 mm focal length indoors, the LF1 lens compares very favorably to the S90 and RX100.  The big question mark is how well it does at high ISO.  Like the RX100, I'd also want a real, external charger and a spare battery.

This comparison is a lot more useful to me than what is included in the Two Cameras comparison.  Most of which is irrelevent.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: LF1... - Lack of Grip
In reply to GeraldW, Jun 16, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

LF1 is similar in size and weight to my S90. Also needs a front grip. --

Jerry

I use these grips. Cheap (@ $15-20.) and work very well:

Camera Grips - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS

z909
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Jun 16, 2013

The LF1 seems to have an advantage for people who want more zoom range.

When I replace my TZ9, I would like something that's still compact, but with better image quality.  The LF1 is getting close to an acceptable spec.

If they made it a tad larger to get the range up to say 24~200, it would be really interesting.

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,189Gear list
Like?
Not helpful

Maybe the original post was well-intentioned, but it doesn't add much value. As others have noted, the comparison with the LX7 has several errors, casting doubt on the whole thing.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?

Comparing cameras based on features is meaningless without comparing image quality. The LF1 looks great by specs but the image quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Check out these cameras on the Imaging-resource comparator.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,637
Like?
Re: little sense
In reply to James Pilcher, Jun 16, 2013

James Pilcher wrote:

These are two entirely different cameras aimed at different types of users. Comparing them makes little sense. Panasonic created the LF1 for those who look at zoom range and megapixels first; in other words the mass consumer market. I'm more interested in lens speed and the variable aspect ratio sensor implementation.

I disagree.  Those kind of people would not appreciate the viewfinder, f2.0 lens or RAW.   The kind of people you describe are the ones who have made the TZ/ZS lineup successful.

The LF1 competes directly with the Canon S110 and in some regards the RX100, even though it has a smaller sensor.  It's a premium compact/DSLR companion kind of camera.

Lumixdude
Like?
Re: little sense
In reply to James Pilcher, Jun 16, 2013

James Pilcher wrote:

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

I would tend to agree that trinkets sell cameras... The way Samsung said hey we have a 12mp sensor... Lets use it... and while we're at it will bolt on a useless for its size viewfinder and add more zoom then sell it as the Supreme Pizza version with extra pineapple.

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
GeraldW
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 16, 2013

Yes,

I've used those on several cameras.  One problem is that if the front of the camera is curved too much the Flip-bac grip will not stay stuck.  They have come out with a narrower one for cameras like that; but a better fix is several top to bottom slits near the right edge to allow it to bend.  Did that on an SX230HS.  But, even though heavier and more expensive, I prefer the Franiec grips if they are available.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW
Like?
In reply to z909, Jun 16, 2013

I know a lot of filks have asked for a wider view; but I'm not a fan of lenses wider than 28 mm.  Takes all kinds, I guess.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jun 16, 2013

I did check all those cameras on the I-R comparitor.  The problem with that is we are stuck with the default settings and they vary from model to model, even within a manufacturer's line.  It's really not an apples to apples comparison.  For example, the S90 looks a lot worse than the S95, even though they share a lens, processor, and sensor.  The S95's defaults use a lot more sharpening; but sharpen the S90's images, and they look the same.   Downloading the I-R images, PP'ing them to my taste, and then comparing them is much more revealing.  Adding a little sharpening and contrast, the LF1 images look great.  Not quite up to my G15; but better than my S90.

I'll wait for full reviews and some user comments here before I buy; but right now, it looks like my best choice to replace the S90.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 17, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

LF1 is similar in size and weight to my S90. Also needs a front grip. --

Jerry

I use these grips. Cheap (@ $15-20.) and work very well:

Camera Grips - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS

at amazon around $10

how to choose which ones is for which cameras ?

example

almost same body, but  different suggestion

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,655Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, Jun 17, 2013

Lumixdude wrote:

Complete and utter rubbish 90% of the claims are false. All of these are false on the first link

LX7:

• Has a two-stage shutter (Yes)
  • Has manual white balance (Yes)
  • Has manual exposure (Yes on photo and video, vs no on video on the LF1)
  • Notably more megapixel (photo) (same actual pixel count with a wider crop)
  • Has manual shutter speed (yes)
  • Has a brand lens (Leica lens)
  • Has WiFi (Who cares?)
  • Lens (doesn't tell the full story of F/5.9 at the tele end for the LF1)

Complete and utter rubbish.

yes, several of these links have lots of wrong or just stupid info. Looks like Advertising bait generated by a computer or marketing droids, not something useful for photographers.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
tmgp
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Jun 19, 2013

I have the same problem... The replacement of the S90, and for know, the LF1 seems to be on the winner side... RX100 is a great camera, but a little bulkier, and more expensive... My only doubt is what will canon do with the future S120...

tmgp's gear list:tmgp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110
tmgp
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Jun 19, 2013

There's already one full review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lf1_review/

It's the only review that I can find, but i hope that dpreview will manage to do one as soon as the product is released.

tmgp's gear list:tmgp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to tmgp, Jun 19, 2013

I think all this talk about the LF1 should be consigned until we actually have a product, as per above the amount of misinformation being posted is quite ridiculous. As I've said previously there "hands on" reviews are mostly by muppets the likes of Ken Rockwell, who are only useful for completely misinforming anyone who has an actual interest in photography.

-- hide signature --
utomo99
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
In reply to tmgp, Jun 19, 2013

tmgp wrote:

I have the same problem... The replacement of the S90, and for know, the LF1 seems to be on the winner side... RX100 is a great camera, but a little bulkier, and more expensive... My only doubt is what will canon do with the future S120...

S120 will use DIGIC 6 which work better on low light and also good upgrade for the video.

I hope they also change the lens with faster ones, as we can see many other brand give fast lens.

or bigger sensor, for better images

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads