Lightroom v5?

Started Jun 15, 2013 | Discussions
digit
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
Lightroom v5?
Jun 15, 2013

Ok, anyone upgrade to Lightroom 5?  I ask "upgrade" because I'm wondering if it is worth the jump since it costs to make the change.  So, going from 4.4 to 5, it is worth the $70?

I've seen where a couple of changes were made to some of the brushes and faster thumbnails.  Inquiring minds would want to know.

-- hide signature --

Focus - Click - Repeat,
http://jbtty.dyndns.org/photo
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are. Ernst Haas

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,398Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom v5?
In reply to digit, Jun 15, 2013

digit wrote:

Ok, anyone upgrade to Lightroom 5? I ask "upgrade" because I'm wondering if it is worth the jump since it costs to make the change. So, going from 4.4 to 5, it is worth the $70?

I've seen where a couple of changes were made to some of the brushes and faster thumbnails. Inquiring minds would want to know.

-- hide signature --

Focus - Click - Repeat,
http://jbtty.dyndns.org/photo
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are. Ernst Haas

You shoukd have gotten the free beta version and tried it for yourself. I think its too late now.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

 skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,228
Like?
Re: Lightroom v5?
In reply to skanter, Jun 15, 2013

skanter wrote:

You shoukd have gotten the free beta version and tried it for yourself. I think its too late now.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

You can get a 30-day trial of the production release

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom&promoid&promoid=DTEML

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,675Gear list
Like?
Useful for me anyway
In reply to digit, Jun 15, 2013

digit wrote:

Ok, anyone upgrade to Lightroom 5? I ask "upgrade" because I'm wondering if it is worth the jump since it costs to make the change. So, going from 4.4 to 5, it is worth the $70?

I've seen where a couple of changes were made to some of the brushes and faster thumbnails. Inquiring minds would want to know.

I think it's definitely worth the upgrade price.  They've added some  useful functionality, including some very nice enhancements to the adjustment brush similar to the content aware fill in Photoshop. They also have a tool to fix perspective issues and also automatically straighten an image to the horizon or other vertical/horizontal lines.  I've already found the new features to be very useful and a real timesaver.  Well worth the upgrade cost.  Of course, whether that applies to you is totally dependent on whether the specific enhancements are useful for your own PP needs.

I believe you can try it out before actually having to commit to buying a license.

 Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,600
Like?
Re: Lightroom v5?
In reply to digit, Jun 15, 2013

digit wrote:

So, going from 4.4 to 5, it is worth the $70?

$79.  And I always find it better to wait an update to get more of a difference.  They call it a new version number but not much new is added just like from a 50D to 60D or 5D2 to 5D3.  Now 5D to 5D3 is a jump same as 30D to 50D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom v5?
In reply to digit, Jun 16, 2013

Yes it is worth it

  1. For the radial graduated filter alone.
  2. For the improved spot removal
  3. For the improved book module.

Plus a host of other improvements.

 goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758
Like?
Re: Lightroom v5?
In reply to goanna, Jun 16, 2013

goanna wrote:

Yes it is worth it

  1. For the radial graduated filter alone.
  2. For the improved spot removal
  3. For the improved book module.

Plus a host of other improvements.

You missed some of the most important changes:

  • A significant slow down in the network access during the import.
  • A huge improvement in the Develop processing of the "Auto" which speed up a lot of things.
  • A major bug in the publishing module. Any change done to an image in the publish module do not guaranty that the change is made to that image, it could done to another image. The bug has been there since LR3 and LR4.
-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads