600D or 700D?

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions
kyrcy
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
600D or 700D?
Jun 14, 2013

I can get the 600D for 200 euro less than the 700D. Both cameras come with the 18-55mm (the 700D comes with the new STM lens). Is the 700D worth the price difference?

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zakkix
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
Re: 600D or 700D?
In reply to kyrcy, Jun 14, 2013

kyrcy wrote:

I can get the 600D for 200 euro less than the 700D. Both cameras come with the 18-55mm (the 700D comes with the new STM lens). Is the 700D worth the price difference?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i/26

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-700d-t5i-vs-600d/OTYwMTI1MTc_A

Touch screen vs more $$$ on glass and accessories

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
the jimmy
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to zakkix, Jun 14, 2013

Maybe part of the equation should be what (if any) camera body are you upgrading from? Your question could be answered better if we knew this.

the jimmy's gear list:the jimmy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
EduPortas
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
In reply to kyrcy, Jun 14, 2013

Go with the newer technology. The touchscreen is worth the $ difference.

I own a 650D with a 18-135 mm STM lens and it's a great little camera. Almost identical to the 700D.

600D does not seem as robust, at least in my hands. Also, the sound of the shutter

in the newer models is "harder", less "electronic". That's important in my book.

And finally, you'll most likely be able to resell the 700D at a better price.

mburns
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Digic 5 for out of camera jpg
In reply to kyrcy, Jun 15, 2013

I would consider the computer upgrade between the two models.

mburns's gear list:mburns's gear list
Samsung ST65 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +58 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,726Gear list
Like?
In reply to kyrcy, Jun 15, 2013

If the 200 Euro is a big thing, find a 650D or wait a few months for the price difference to close.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1905744226/rebel-forum-faq

Silverwind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304
Like?
In reply to kyrcy, Jun 16, 2013

After reading the review on this site and the specs of the 650 and 700, I wouldn't buy the 700 at all.  I would find a 650 for the cheaper price.  The two cameras are nearly identical save for insignificant features.  Personally, don't know why Canon released the 700 except to say "hey here is a new camera!"

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,644Gear list
Like?
In reply to Silverwind, Jun 16, 2013

Silverwind wrote:

I would find a 650 for the cheaper price. The two cameras are nearly identical save for insignificant features.

+1  good alternative.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
kyrcy
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
In reply to R2D2, Jun 16, 2013

The 700D includes the STM lens and is only 50 euro more expensive that the 650D (where I intend to buy from) so I think the choices are either the 700D or the 600D.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,644Gear list
Like?

kyrcy wrote:

The 700D includes the STM lens and is only 50 euro more expensive that the 650D (where I intend to buy from) so I think the choices are either the 700D or the 600D.

That's a great deal.  Definitely go for the 700D then.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,746Gear list
Like?

kyrcy wrote:

One thing the 600D lacks that would drive me nuts (and I admit that is a personal dislike) is the autosensor, when you approach your eye to the viewfinder, which would automatically turn off the LCD.  With the 600D you have to press a button for it.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
WilbaW
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jun 17, 2013

Olga Johnson wrote:

One thing the 600D lacks that would drive me nuts (and I admit that is a personal dislike) is the autosensor, when you approach your eye to the viewfinder, which would automatically turn off the LCD. With the 600D you have to press a button for it.

It only seems to be a problem for a very few people who get fixated on it. The rest of us who have gone from a camera with a sensor to one without forgot about it in the first five minutes of using the camera, and only ever think about it when it comes up in discussion.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

TeeForeEye
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Jun 17, 2013

Olga Johnson wrote:

One thing the 600D lacks that would drive me nuts (and I admit that is a personal dislike) is the autosensor, when you approach your eye to the viewfinder, which would automatically turn off the LCD. With the 600D you have to press a button for it.

It only seems to be a problem for a very few people who get fixated on it. The rest of us who have gone from a camera with a sensor to one without forgot about it in the first five minutes of using the camera, and only ever think about it when it comes up in discussion.

-- hide signature --

The T3i doesn't have that sensor? Why? The T2i had it. Does this mean you have to manually turn off the LCD prior to taking each shot? That's terrible! Does the LCD automatically come back on to show a review of the pic you just took or do you also have to manually turn it back on after each shot? Regardless, this doesn't make any sense. That sensor was on older Rebels and is on the newer ones. What was Canon thinking?

WilbaW
Like?
In reply to TeeForeEye, Jun 17, 2013

TeeForeEye wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

It only seems to be a problem for a very few people who get fixated on it. The rest of us who have gone from a camera with a sensor to one without forgot about it in the first five minutes of using the camera, and only ever think about it when it comes up in discussion.

The T3i doesn't have that sensor?

Correct.

Why?

It went when the articulated monitor was introduced. There probably wasn't room for one the same size, and I guess the designers found it wasn't needed so they didn't get upset about it.

The T2i had it.

Yep.

Does this mean you have to manually turn off the LCD prior to taking each shot?

No. You don't noticie it because it isn't a bother. Except if you already have your knickers in a twist about it, in which case you'll be concentrating on that rather than just taking photos.

That's terrible!

Only in your imagination.

Does the LCD automatically come back on to show a review of the pic you just took or do you also have to manually turn it back on after each shot?

It stays on unless you turn it off. After a few minutes you won't notice that it's on (unless you're fretting about it and have convinced yourself that it's a disaster). When you're taking photos, most of the display is black most of the time. You just don't notice it when you're attending to the subject and the task.

Regardless, this doesn't make any sense. That sensor was on older Rebels and is on the newer ones. What was Canon thinking?

That you don't need it. Except if you choose your cameras by the length of the feature list.

-- hide signature --

TeeForeEye
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?

WilbaW wrote:

TeeForeEye wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

The T3i doesn't have that sensor?

Correct.

Why?

It went when the articulated monitor was introduced. There probably wasn't room for one the same size, and I guess the designers found it wasn't needed so they didn't get upset about it.

What about the T4i and T5i who have touch screen articulated monitors but also have that sensor?

The T2i had it.

Yep.

Does this mean you have to manually turn off the LCD prior to taking each shot?

No. You don't noticie it because it isn't a bother. Except if you already have your knickers in a twist about it, in which case you'll be concentrating on that rather than just taking photos.

That's terrible!

Only in your imagination.

Does the LCD automatically come back on to show a review of the pic you just took or do you also have to manually turn it back on after each shot?

It stays on unless you turn it off. After a few minutes you won't notice that it's on (unless you're fretting about it and have convinced yourself that it's a disaster). When you're taking photos, most of the display is black most of the time. You just don't notice it when you're attending to the subject and the task.

Regardless, this doesn't make any sense. That sensor was on older Rebels and is on the newer ones. What was Canon thinking?

That you don't need it. Except if you choose your cameras by the length of the feature list.

It depends of the feature. One that had no business leaving is one that I would like to have.

-- hide signature --

Olga Johnson
Like?

WilbaW wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

Then count me as one of those very few people who, when when going from a camera with a sensor to one without it (and I have both), goes nuts. It has nothing to do with being fixated on it. I absolutely dislike it.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Olga Johnson
Like?

WilbaW wrote:

It went when the articulated monitor was introduced. There probably wasn't room for one the same size, and I guess the designers found it wasn't needed so they didn't get upset about it.

I'm guessing enough folks got upset with it and they brought the autosensor back with the T4i.

-- hide signature --

Olga

WilbaW
Like?
In reply to TeeForeEye, Jun 18, 2013

TeeForeEye wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

[The display off sensor] went when the articulated monitor was introduced. There probably wasn't room for one the same size, and I guess the designers found it wasn't needed so they didn't get upset about it.

What about the T4i and T5i who have touch screen articulated monitors but also have that sensor?

They put it in a different place where it does fit.

[Canon was thinking] That you don't need it. Except if you choose your cameras by the length of the feature list.

It depends of the feature. One that had no business leaving is one that I would like to have.

Sure, you don't want to lose things like histograms, Live View, AF... but this is a feature that people worry about until they let it go (usually in the first few minutes of actual use). IOW, if you convince yourself that you will have a problem, you will have a problem.

-- hide signature --

WilbaW
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jun 18, 2013

Olga Johnson wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

[The display off sensor] went when the articulated monitor was introduced. There probably wasn't room for one the same size, and I guess the designers found it wasn't needed so they didn't get upset about it.

I'm guessing enough folks got upset with it and they brought the autosensor back with the T4i.

I agree, but I don't assume that the upset was from a large number of actual users with legitimate complaints. If that were true, there would be heaps of threads from people who couldn't stand their 600Ds and 60Ds.

Rebels have small capacity batteries and it does make sense to reduce energy consumption in that case, but I would say that's not worth worrying about with a camera like the 60D.

I'm equally distracted by the view past the viewfinder hump as I am by the display (i.e. not at all). I don't see anyone complaining that they can see too much sky in their peripheral vision when they look through the viewfinder. 

Yes, it's different indoors, but I can turn down the brightness of the display, I can't turn down the sky.

This reminds me of a friend who injured his leg. Months after it healed he was still limping. He went back to his doctor, who found there was nothing wrong with his leg. The doctor told him he just had to decide not to limp any more, and when he did he was fine.

I accept that you have a problem, but I assert that that is unusual, and I expect that if you worked on not attending to the display you wouldn't have a problem. 

I hope that this discussion might help people avoid the trap of having a problem because they believe they will.

-- hide signature --

Binary Hulled Ion
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
In reply to TeeForeEye, Jun 18, 2013

TeeForeEye wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

-- hide signature --

The T3i doesn't have that sensor? Why? The T2i had it. Does this mean you have to manually turn off the LCD prior to taking each shot? That's terrible! Does the LCD automatically come back on to show a review of the pic you just took or do you also have to manually turn it back on after each shot? Regardless, this doesn't make any sense. That sensor was on older Rebels and is on the newer ones. What was Canon thinking?

My guess is that they thought it unnecessary. And then, when they introduced the touchscreen, they needed the proximity sensor to turn the touchscreen off when you're looking through the viewfinder so you don't activate something with your nose or cheek, similar to why modern smartphones do the same thing.

If you opt to use the LCD the entire time (setting the screen timeout to "always on"), it'll stay on until the camera automatically powers down. Image reviews come on automatically unless you either disable the review feature or you have the screen folded away. You can set it up to turn on/off by hitting the DISP button (next to ISO, default) or with a shutter half-press.

I was unaware that older Rebels even had a sensor. I can't figure out why they should.

-- hide signature --

- Burnnie
* Any opinions expressed may not reflect any common sense, logic, or reason.

Binary Hulled Ion's gear list:Binary Hulled Ion's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads