SX280 Firmware fix did not solve the video issue.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706
Like?
SX280 Firmware fix did not solve the video issue.
Jun 14, 2013

How disappointed I am with Canon right now.  
They seemed truly to understand that there was a problem with the SX280 video / battery issue.   So when I heard they had a firmware fix coming I decided to keep my daughters birthday gift camera and wait for the fix.   (big mistake)
After updating the firmware there is absolutely no difference in the battery indicator issue.   
A fully charged battery and shooting approximately 2 to three minutes of video and the indicator goes red and the camera shuts down.   Go back to any camera mode and the battery indicator is full.   Switch back to video and it shows full again until you begin to record video and then it drops and shuts the camera down in less than a minute.
Now the camera is past the return window at Best Buy so I am stuck with a 300 dud.   My daughter wants to use camera and video.  Not just camera.
They had to know that this would not fix the issue.   Love my sx50 but I will never trust Canon again.

gus

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,535Gear list
Like?
Re: SX280 Firmware fix did not solve the video issue.
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jun 14, 2013

Britney Elvis wrote:

They seemed truly to understand that there was a problem with the SX280 video / battery issue.   So when I heard they had a firmware fix coming I decided to keep my daughters birthday gift camera and wait for the fix.   (big mistake)
After updating the firmware there is absolutely no difference in the battery indicator issue.   
A fully charged battery and shooting approximately 2 to three minutes of video and the indicator goes red and the camera shuts down.   Go back to any camera mode and the battery indicator is full.   Switch back to video and it shows full again until you begin to record video and then it drops and shuts the camera down in less than a minute.
Now the camera is past the return window at Best Buy so I am stuck with a 300 dud.   My daughter wants to use camera and video.  Not just camera.
They had to know that this would not fix the issue.   Love my sx50 but I will never trust Canon again.

I'm really sorry for your disappointment, Gus.  Unpleasant surprise and I do not know what is happening to cause this.

However, you assumed that the new firmware would fix your battery indicator issue when the firmware did not say it was meant to do that.  AIt seems the firmware was for other things.  The battery indicator issue may be sensor related, or other hardware, and cannot be changed with firmware.  This is not about a Canon trust problem, this is about you expecting something that was not promised with the new firmware.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706
Like?
Not what it says, Dale
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Jun 14, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Britney Elvis wrote:

They seemed truly to understand that there was a problem with the SX280 video / battery issue. So when I heard they had a firmware fix coming I decided to keep my daughters birthday gift camera and wait for the fix. (big mistake)
A fully charged battery and shooting approximately 2 to three minutes of video and the indicator goes red and the camera shuts down. Go back to any camera mode and the battery indicator is full. Switch back to video and it shows full again until you begin to record video and then it drops and shuts the camera down in less than a minute.
Now the camera is past the return window at Best Buy so I am stuck with a 300 dud. My daughter wants to use camera and video. Not just camera.
They had to know that this would not fix the issue. Love my sx50 but I will never trust Canon again.

I'm really sorry for your disappointment, Gus. Unpleasant surprise and I do not know what is happening to cause this.

However, you assumed that the new firmware would fix your battery indicator issue when the firmware did not say it was meant to do that. AIt seems the firmware was for other things. The battery indicator issue may be sensor related, or other hardware, and cannot be changed with firmware. This is not about a Canon trust problem, this is about you expecting something that was not promised with the new firmware.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale, I realize you are MOD.. but I think you are just plain wrong on this...  I read #2 to be exactly what was happening with my daughters camera.   And the fix is exactly why I did not return the camera as it seemed Canon had the issue in hand.
Not sure what firmware upgrade you are referencing?

Canon has released a firmware update for the PowerShot SX280 HS.

Affected Product
PowerShot SX280 HS

Details
Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

1. Increases the duration of movie shooting by 20% in cases where the optical zoom is used compared to cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.0.0 or Firmware Version 1.0.1.0 through a reduction in the power consumption of the optical zoom.

*Time under default camera settings, when normal operations are performed, such as shooting, pausing, turning the camera on and off, and zooming. (based on conditions established by Canon).
-Under some shooting conditions, the recording time may be shorter than mentioned above.
-Recording time with a fully charged battery.

2. Fixes a phenomenon with cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.0, in which the low battery level warning is prematurely displayed while shooting in movie mode.

Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.1.0 or Version 1.0.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Please note that, once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.

How to Identify Cameras that are eligible for the Firmware Update:
Please check the serial number on the bottom of the camera.
This firmware update is for products with the following serial numbers.

-Serial number
Products whose sixth digit from the left is "2" or less
[****2*****] , [****1*****] , [****0*****]
Thanks Gus

-- hide signature --

~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jun 14, 2013

Britney Elvis wrote:

They seemed truly to understand that there was a problem with the SX280 video / battery issue. So when I heard they had a firmware fix coming I decided to keep my daughters birthday gift camera and wait for the fix. (big mistake)
A fully charged battery and shooting approximately 2 to three minutes of video and the indicator goes red and the camera shuts down. Go back to any camera mode and the battery indicator is full. Switch back to video and it shows full again until you begin to record video and then it drops and shuts the camera down in less than a minute.
Now the camera is past the return window at Best Buy so I am stuck with a 300 dud. My daughter wants to use camera and video. Not just camera.
They had to know that this would not fix the issue. Love my sx50 but I will never trust Canon again.

gus

Hi gus

I returned mine for a full refund because of this very issue.

Clearly the camera is not fit for the purpose and this issue is classed as a major fault.

You should be entitled to claim a refund, regardless of the return date window, considering that you were waiting for Canon to make good with a firmware update - which has not resolved the fault.

Obviously not a big deal for those who dont care about video.  But this is like purchasing a new car because it now has a cool sunroof.. which only opens 1/4 of the way.  No big deal if you dont care about a sunroof, but if thats one of the reasons you purchased it, then its not fit for the purpose.

The product should be recalled.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,535Gear list
Like?
Re: Not what it says, Dale
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jun 15, 2013

Britney Elvis wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Britney Elvis wrote:

I'm really sorry for your disappointment, Gus. Unpleasant surprise and I do not know what is happening to cause this.

However, you assumed that the new firmware would fix your battery indicator issue when the firmware did not say it was meant to do that. AIt seems the firmware was for other things. The battery indicator issue may be sensor related, or other hardware, and cannot be changed with firmware. This is not about a Canon trust problem, this is about you expecting something that was not promised with the new firmware.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale, I realize you are MOD.. but I think you are just plain wrong on this...  I read #2 to be exactly what was happening with my daughters camera.   And the fix is exactly why I did not return the camera as it seemed Canon had the issue in hand.
Not sure what firmware upgrade you are referencing?

Canon has released a firmware update for the PowerShot SX280 HS.

Affected Product
PowerShot SX280 HS

Details
Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

1. Increases the duration of movie shooting by 20% in cases where the optical zoom is used compared to cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.0.0 or Firmware Version 1.0.1.0 through a reduction in the power consumption of the optical zoom.

*Time under default camera settings, when normal operations are performed, such as shooting, pausing, turning the camera on and off, and zooming. (based on conditions established by Canon).
-Under some shooting conditions, the recording time may be shorter than mentioned above.
-Recording time with a fully charged battery.

2. Fixes a phenomenon with cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.0, in which the low battery level warning is prematurely displayed while shooting in movie mode.

Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.1.0 or Version 1.0.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Please note that, once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.

How to Identify Cameras that are eligible for the Firmware Update:
Please check the serial number on the bottom of the camera.
This firmware update is for products with the following serial numbers.

-Serial number
Products whose sixth digit from the left is "2" or less
[****2*****] , [****1*****] , [****0*****]
Thanks Gus

I just sent you a PM, but I agree with you, Gus..  The firmware was meant to help with the problem that you are experiencing.  Sounds like it didn't go far enough, or that there is another hardware part - like a little voltmeter part that provides data, and the camera is working from that.  So, sounds like a trip back to Canon, or as MarioV suggested, return for a refund and get something else.

Sure sorry for your trouble on this.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 3,660
Like?
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jun 15, 2013

Same here bought that camera love it but could not live with that silly flat battery warning just after seconds of filming with a fully charged battery, I have returned mine and got a refund because the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix that but actually it does not and Canon advice to users seems to be: "Just get over it"

Also I have found the zoom on the SX280 quite noisy and it is quite noticeable in the video footage. Thank God, I was about to sell my SX220HS now I will hang on to it a bit longer as it has a quite zoom and no battery problem with videoing.

lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 3,660
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jun 15, 2013

MarioV wrote:

Britney Elvis wrote:

gus

Hi gus

I returned mine for a full refund because of this very issue.

Clearly the camera is not fit for the purpose and this issue is classed as a major fault.

You should be entitled to claim a refund, regardless of the return date window, considering that you were waiting for Canon to make good with a firmware update - which has not resolved the fault.

Obviously not a big deal for those who dont care about video. But this is like purchasing a new car because it now has a cool sunroof.. which only opens 1/4 of the way. No big deal if you dont care about a sunroof, but if thats one of the reasons you purchased it, then its not fit for the purpose.

The product should be recalled.

You are right, I think it is more hardware issue that no firmware upgrade will be able to fix and Canon seems to consider the issue as over with the firmware upgrade according the the Canon forum.

JJ Rodin
Contributing MemberPosts: 607
Like?
In reply to Britney Elvis, Jun 18, 2013

Britney Elvis wrote:

gus

-- hide signature --

~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

If I were you, I would go back to BestBuy and talk to a manager and tell him your story, and I assume you would like the sx280 IF it did not show the video problem, & tell him you would like an exchange IF the new cam does NOT show the problem.......

BB does want you as a customer so give it a try!!

Good Luck!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads