Fuji X20 help please

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions
MarineBand
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Fuji X20 help please
Jun 14, 2013

Hi, I have a new X20 and I have a couple of concerns. Maybe you can help me?

Firstly the focus meter seems to be off. In the picture below I'm focused on a building that is probably 1/3 mile away and the focus meter displays a 2 foot distance.

Also, my images don't crop seem to have much detail. Zoom in on this rat's tail isn't it more blurred than it should be. I can't seem to get high res images. Thanks for your help!

MarineBand's gear list:MarineBand's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Re: Fuji X20 help please
In reply to MarineBand, Jun 14, 2013

Hi MarineBand, First of all I ain't no expert!! Second of all, you must be aware that the default settings of the X20 are horrible !!! Don't blame yourself too much ….OK? It takes lots of practice/experience to solve the jigsaw puzzle! I still got a lot to learn myself….it's never ending!

With your first photo I can see that your Fstop/aperture is too high. For outdoors try to stick between F 4 - 5.6. Watch to see if your shutter speed is too low in A mode. 680 shutter speed? …Do you really need it that high? And, I see your ISO is 400. Most people on this forum would tell you to leave it on ISO 100 almost all the time with DR100 setting. I hope you're using NR -2 setting ….try not to go above that! I think you mentioned about the AE & AF modes. I have my AE (metering) set to "average" and my AF mode set to "Area". Another thing is to keep your IS mode to "shooting only" because your camera will not automatically change your ISO setting. I would set your color setting to "+1" on cloudy days and set it back down to "0" on clear days using a polarizing filter. Either way you'll want to tone down the color saturation in PP. I would leave the sharpness setting at "0" and WB on "auto". As far as Shadow tones, I have it set at -1 and Highlight tones set at -2. Everybody has their own favorite settings; these just happen to be mine. And settings need to be adjusted to each scene to a degree.

Your second photo …. well yeah …. it ain't too good …. but ya gotta start somewhere!    I hope you realize that the more you crop a photo the less detail you'll get.

I hope all this helps you. Like I said, I ain't no expert but only my suggestions for whatever it's worth?

Good Luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Boxbrownie
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarineBand, Jun 14, 2013

I'd forget the X20 and get the pest controller in! 

But seriously I am interested in these findings as I have just ordered and X20 myself after much pondering.

Gaze
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Jun 14, 2013

I should also mention about the batteries that come with the X20 …. they ain't worth a darn! You'll probably get rid of them sooner or later.

Since I'm from the USA here's the batteries that I presently use and they are excellent -->

Amazon.com: Two Halcyon 1400 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement Battery for Fujifilm NP-50 and Fujifilm FINEPIX X20, Finepix XF1, FINEPIX REAL 3D W3, FINEPIX Finepix F70EXR, FINEPIX F75EXR, FINEPIX F80EXR, FINEPIX F85EXR, FINEPIX F200EXR, FINEPIX F300EXR, FINEPIX F305EXR, FINEPIX F500EXR, FINEPIX F505EXR, FINEPIX F550EXR, FINEPIX F600EXR, FINEPIX F605EXR, FINEPIX F660EXR, FINEPIX F665EXR, FINEPIX F775EXR, FINEPIX F770EXR, FINEPIX F775EXR, FINEPIX F800EXR, FINEPIX XP170, FINEPIX XP150, FINEPIX XP100, FINEPIX X10: Electronics

These more powerful batteries will allow you to use "high performance" (Power Mangement setting) with not too much worry of quickly losing power. The following was taken from: The Fujifilm X20 Experience | CKPHOTOONLINE where this guy says, "I shoot with camera on high performance mode, which increases AF speed and keeps the screen bright. So yes you can prolong the life of the battery in the other mode but why would you want to limit the performance of your camera."

In the UK your going to have to ask somebody like Liz (Nukunukoo) who posts here about her 1500mAh Energizers. She would probably give you the link where to order.

Also, you'll probably want to order a clear and CPL filters by Marumi from Amazon -->

Amazon.com: Marumi 40mm 40 DHG MC Lens Protect Slim Filter for Fuji X10 made in Japan: Camera & Photo

I use them and they fit just fine….right on the front of your lens.

MarineBand
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Jun 19, 2013

Thanks for the tips gaze. I wasn't sure if it was the camera or me that was causing the poor results. This is my first camera since owning a Canon AE1 back in the day. I'm getting better results following your lead. And thanks for the battery suggestion.

Keep shootin!

MB

Fujifilm X20
bluewater77
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarineBand, Jun 19, 2013

I don't know about your problem with the fous distance, but one thing I ask myself, why do you take that shot with F8, at 400 ISO? F 4.0 to 5.6 seems to be best for max sharpness and ISO 100 on a well lit day should do best.

good luck, blue

MarineBand
Like?
In reply to bluewater77, Jun 19, 2013

bluewater77 wrote:

I don't know about your problem with the fous distance, but one thing I ask myself, why do you take that shot with F8, at 400 ISO? F 4.0 to 5.6 seems to be best for max sharpness and ISO 100 on a well lit day should do best.

good luck, blue

Yeah, I'm a newbie messing around with my new camera. Learning, thanks.

Here's another example of my focus meter showing a short 3-5 foot distance, when the actual subject is 1/2 mile away. Strange?

Fujifilm X20
smonthatipkul
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to MarineBand, Jun 20, 2013

There're some situations that can fool the AF system. U might wanna check out p39 of the instruction manual.

Cheers,
Sanga

Gaze
Like?

MarineBand, In regards to your battery question the answer is YES!  On the back of the battery package you'll notice it states, "Compatible with original manufacturer charger".  The thing that surprised me most was that it takes about 40 minutes to fully recharge the battery!

I'm glad those X20 settings helped you ….they were mostly used for outside shots.  Later today I will post a whole bunch of indoor classic car photos that I took yesterday with different settings that I mentioned in my earlier post to you.  I was really flirting with some very slow shutter speeds with no flash and handheld.  I'm really surprised how well the X20's IS worked ….. it really did its job and helped me out!

For right now I'm going back to bed for more zzzzzzzzz

Cheers & Good Luck

Luego
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?

MarineBand wrote:

bluewater77 wrote:

good luck, blue

Yeah, I'm a newbie messing around with my new camera. Learning, thanks.

Here's another example of my focus meter showing a short 3-5 foot distance, when the actual subject is 1/2 mile away. Strange?

It seems your cam is focusing on the window glass. Perhaps you want get outdoors and test again.

Cheers,

Luego

MarineBand
Like?
In reply to Luego, Jun 20, 2013

Luego wrote:

It seems your cam is focusing on the window glass. Perhaps you want get outdoors and test again.

Cheers,

Luego

It does seem like that. But, the window is open with clear view to the bridge.

Fujifilm X20
MarineBand
Like?
In reply to smonthatipkul, Jun 20, 2013

smonthatipkul wrote:

There're some situations that can fool the AF system. U might wanna check out p39 of the instruction manual.

Cheers,
Sanga

Roger Wilco. thanks Sanga

Fujifilm X20
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads