Replacement Motherboard Defective, What Can I Do?

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Questions
Glenn Haley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Replacement Motherboard Defective, What Can I Do?
Jun 13, 2013
No text.
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Glenn Haley
Like?
Re: Replacement Motherboard Defective, What Can I Do?
In reply to Glenn Haley, Jun 13, 2013

Sorry about the no Text above, I hit the Return key by accident DPR does not allow editing.

Now my problem.

My ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard recently developed a startup problem. Cold startups took a very long time but hot startups were normal. I contacted ASRock and got an RMA for repairs and sent them my board. A few days later they said my board was out of warranty but I could get a replacement board for $50.00. I mailed them a check and another few days received a replacement board (not new) which had a 3 month warranty. After installing the board I found it was defective. It would start and run okay but would not restart. I would have to turn off the power and wait several minutes before it would start. This is the third ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard I've had that developed startup problems.

I have tried to 3 times contact ASRock support about an exchange or refund but they do not return my emails. I'm not an expert on fraud but I sure feel defrauded.

What do you suggest I do next?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,100Gear list
Like?
edit is located under more options (nt)
In reply to Glenn Haley, Jun 13, 2013
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to Glenn Haley, Jun 14, 2013

Post to their Facebook page, email other members of the company (executive emails), post to their forums, and if all else fails, post a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint with your state attorney.

My experience is that emailing corporate employees yields the fastest satisfactory results. I have done a little digging but have not found any personal corporate email addresses for anyone at ASRock.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,433
Like?

Glenn Haley wrote:

A few days later they said my board was out of warranty but I could get a replacement board for $50.00. I mailed them a check...

Next time, use a credit card. Had you done this time, you would have the option of filing a dispute with the credit card company. They would force a response, or credit you the $50 which they would recover by simply taking it out of ASRock's bank account.

You could also try calling their "top secret" US telephone number: 909-590-8308.

Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to malch, Jun 14, 2013

Thanks for the replies. I already have their Phone and FAX numbers but would like to have something strong to backup my claim such as internet fraud or US mail fraud or state consumer fraud but for only $50 I doubt any agencies would be interested.

The $50 is not a big deal but the idea of being screwed bothers me and although this motherboard is only going to be used as a backup I don't know of company making an Intel 1366 socket board so that I can use my i7 CPU which still runs great at 3.6GB with my 12GB triple channel memory.

At least I learned how to edit posts, thanks.

digitalshooter
Like?
If the 50 is no big deal I would move on, file complaints everywhere and

not give them anymore of my money!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,478
Like?
Are you sure it's the motherboard?

Glenn Haley wrote:

This is the third ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard I've had that developed startup problems.

That's sounds pretty fishy (3 different MBs with the same issues).   Are you sure it's the motherboard versus something else (for example, your PSU) causing the issues.

If you've got one available, I'd try a different power supply to make sure it's not the culprit.  You may also want to unplug any drives that aren't needed to see if drive spin up with multiple drives installed could be an issue (pulling more power when booting where a degraded PSU may not be able to supply enough current during the boot process)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

mfait
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?

Glenn Haley wrote:

Sorry about the no Text above, I hit the Return key by accident DPR does not allow editing.

Now my problem.

My ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard recently developed a startup problem. Cold startups took a very long time but hot startups were normal. I contacted ASRock and got an RMA for repairs and sent them my board. A few days later they said my board was out of warranty but I could get a replacement board for $50.00. I mailed them a check and another few days received a replacement board (not new) which had a 3 month warranty. After installing the board I found it was defective. It would start and run okay but would not restart. I would have to turn off the power and wait several minutes before it would start. This is the third ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard I've had that developed startup problems.

I have tried to 3 times contact ASRock support about an exchange or refund but they do not return my emails. I'm not an expert on fraud but I sure feel defrauded.

What do you suggest I do next?

Cold startups are long, and warn startups are normal.  Doesn't sound like a motherboard issue.  Motherboard issues would have the computer crashing.  It could be the software or drivers that are causing the long boots.  Maybe even malware.

Did this start after you made any specific changes to the computer or installed new software.

When you tried the new motherboards, did you re-install all the software or use the existing boot disk?

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
Glenn Haley
Like?
Re: Are you sure it's the motherboard?
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 14, 2013

My first defective board was replaced after a few months because of erratic startups. While trouble shooting this problem and did replace the Antec power supply with a 600W OCZ unit but the problem continued. Then they asked me to send in the motherboard and they told me it WAS defective and replaced it. That board lasted three years before developing a long startup delay between BIOS load and the start of Windows load. This only happened on cold starts. Hot starts were normal. After this problem developed I installed yet another new power supply, this time a Corsair HX750W but the problem still continued. I sent this board in and received a replacement which has Restart problems.

If this still sounds fishy to you here is a detailed account of what the third board is doing;

The system panel header is wired exactly the same as it was when it ran for three years with the X58 Extreme board I sent you. After repeated restart failures I did try rotating the PS and the Reset 90 degrees but it made no difference and I returned them to their original positions as displayed in the X58 manual.

Here is an example of the problem I’m having. Turned on power and pressed case Start button and the computer started normally and loaded Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I clicked on the Windows menu button and selected Restart. The computer shut down waited a few seconds and then tried to restart. The fans started and ran for 2 seconds then stopped. There was no display on the Debug LED. After a few seconds it started again with the fans running but no display on the Debug LED and it continued to run until I shut off the power. I then after waiting 1 minute I turned on the power and pressed the case Start button. The fans started but no LED readout. Sometimes it would stop after a few seconds and start again and other times it would just continue to run with no LED readout and of course to startup.

I tried doing this 10 times with a minute between each attempt and each time the results were the same, fans run but no LED readout. Then I waited 5 minutes and tried again and the fans started but no LED readout. After a few seconds it stopped waited a few seconds and then started again. This time there were LED readouts and it completed a successful bootup.

If you think there is still something wrong with what I'm doing please explain in detail. I'd be most happy to hear your suggestions.

By the way after posting this here I just got an email for ASRock support asking me to check the wiring on the System Panel Header which I have checked many times and is the same as when it ran for three years with no problems.

Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to mfait, Jun 14, 2013

I beg to differ with you. Bad capacitors can cause a problem like that and these boards are probably 5 or 6 years old and have a history of weak capacitors, do a search. There was no change in the OS. The problem just started one morning and continued.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
In reply to Glenn Haley, Jun 15, 2013

Glenn Haley wrote:

There was no change in the OS.

That is not what the previous poster mfait  is asking.

"Did you re-install all the software or use the existing boot disk?"

Have you tried a fresh installing of the OS?

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?

Have you tried taking MB out of the case and running it on the bench?

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Jun 15, 2013

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bits on an Intel 80GB SSD. It took two days because of the delay in restarting and the many updates.

Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to SushiEater, Jun 15, 2013

I installed , removed and installed everything again and still had the same problem. I haven't tried a bench test but that's a good idea. I'll try that this morning.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?

Seems you did everything.

When no result, and by bad service of ASRock, I should totally skip it, never look back, and change to another brand motherboard.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

William Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?

Glen, Since we are doing check lists of things to look at, did you change the little lithium battery along with everything else? A faulty old battery shows up as erratic startups and other described symptoms. I know its a really simple thing you probably did already but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

digitalshooter
Like?
Or at least pull it and reset CMOS (nt)
In reply to William Carson, Jun 16, 2013
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to William Carson, Jun 16, 2013

I had reset the CMOS but didn't think to change the battery. I replaced it but it didn't help. Never the less it was a very good suggestion, thank you.

Glenn Haley
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Jun 16, 2013

You're right. It's really not worth getting all upset over the problem. It's an old board missing a lot of the updated features of newer boards but newer boards with this type of CPU socket are rare yet the CPU and 12GB of memory are still in good operating condition.

In a surprising move I did hear from ASRock support after posting my problem here. They want me to send them my board, CPU, memory and power supply (I'm surprised they didn't ask for the case too). With the power supply being so heavy the cost of shipping would just add more expense to something that has limited value.

I guess the end result is I've exhausted options and have to accept the fact that ASRock products and support are things I want to avoid in the future.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads