Furious about a disastrous Panasonic Lumix G Survey! (UK)

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?
Furious about a disastrous Panasonic Lumix G Survey! (UK)
Jun 13, 2013

I received an e-mail today inviting me to participate in a Lumix G customer survey. Being a retired marketing consultant I usually cooperate with such requests, and did so.

But a large number of questions have, in addition to the expected inane choices, a final box marked 'Other' with a blank box - presumably for completion. Being the thinking person I am - some 50% of my responses fell into the other category - only to find that having ticked the radio button and filled in the box, the questionnaire gave me the response "this is a required field" (or something similar)! The only way I could move on was by witholding the most important information they would get from me.

One question asked 'which other cameras did you consider when you bought your Lumix G?" - well I didn't! The original G1 was just what I needed and because m4/3 was supported by more than one manufacturer, (another response they didn't get) I didn't consider any others. But - guess what! - there's no option to say I didn't consider any other cameras! ;-(

So shall I write to tell them? Nope - they don't even give me an e-mail address to tell them (free of charge) why their survey is a total waste of money for them - or worse - it will collect much of the wrong information. A disaster!

Why the hell can't a company like Panasonic use professional Market Researchers for its market feedback?

Are you reading this Panasonic(UK)? If so please contact me and I'll explain where you are going wrong!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?
Umm...I can understand your frustrations and all...
In reply to Michael J Davis, Jun 13, 2013

...but it's just a survey...

If the survey is dumb enough that the programmers who wrote it couldn't get the basic functionality of the survey right, well, who gives a hoot?

If I encounter that problem I'll probably just stop doing the survey (80% probability) and just forget about it.

I.e. I just can't be bothered to get err...bothered by it.

It's not like it's a government survey that you MUST complete and sign that you have answered truthfully or there are repercussions...

Just stop, forget about it and move on.

Life's too short and the survey too unimportant to be bothered by it.

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,623Gear list
Like?
Re: Furious about a disastrous Panasonic Lumix G Survey! (UK)

Mike,

I understand it can be annoying and frustrating to take the time to do something like that only to get a runaround, but don't sweat the little things.  If they don't care enough about it, you shouldn't.  Your input can only help them.  Not having it, if not harming them at least doesn't help them.  Their not having it does you no harm at all.  Go enjoy your camera and file it away for future reference.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
silencer13
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

It's just a survey, and it's just bad programming and QC.

If they didn't even bother to test thoroughly, do you think they'd even bother with your results?

I's just forget it and move on if I were you, their loss, not yours.

silencer13's gear list:silencer13's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +2 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,840Gear list
Like?
Re: Umm...I can understand your frustrations and all...
In reply to peppermonkey, Jun 13, 2013

peppermonkey wrote:

...but it's just a survey...

If the survey is dumb enough that the programmers who wrote it couldn't get the basic functionality of the survey right, well, who gives a hoot?

If I encounter that problem I'll probably just stop doing the survey (80% probability) and just forget about it.

Ditto. Most surveys are a waste of time, yours and the company's. Very few are well enough designed to bother with.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,081Gear list
Like?
Another thought

Depending on who requested the study, they might not really be interested in the 'other' answer.

Say they just want to know if they should be more concerned w brand A or B.  Maybe they couldn't care less about brand Y or 'none of the above' for the purpose of that particular survey.

Don't take it personal that your answers don't fit the choices.  Getting upset won't make them care.

(I'm often a 'none of the above' guy myself)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,180Gear list
Like?

The marketing of m4/3rds cameras, both Olympus and Panasonic, is often an implicit theme in many threads here. Why does Panasonic have such a dumb sensor policy? Why don't they listen to us when we say we want an internal EV (which may in fact be coming). For those with some methodological standards for marketing and other kinds of social research, it seems just plain dumb that they seem to get it so wrong - especially when we listen to their marketing spokespeople. I will not bore you with my classic example.

I am not saying that everyone wants what I want as a customer. What I am saying  is that I would hope at least they could gather marketing data in a rigorous way; or it is garbage in, garbage out, as the old saying goes. Your experience is not an encouraging one. Let me offer my empathy for your frustration. There are some good marketing people out there, but there seem to be some incompetent ones too. Old pros tend to ask how the new ones are trained these days. If you want to create an international company called M4/3rds Consulting to advice Panasonic and Olympus, start a thread. I bet there are a few marketing and social science professionals on this forum who would be happy to join with you.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?

can you reply to the original email address with your comments?

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
Why so furious....

If you post in the community section of http://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/  you will get a fairly quick response 
living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/gallery/YouDidntDidYou/

Michael J Davis
Like?
Thank you all for your comments!
In reply to FrankS009, Jun 13, 2013

FrankS009 wrote:

The marketing of m4/3rds cameras, both Olympus and Panasonic, is often an implicit theme in many threads here. Why does Panasonic have such a dumb sensor policy? Why don't they listen to us when we say we want an internal EV (which may in fact be coming). For those with some methodological standards for marketing and other kinds of social research, it seems just plain dumb that they seem to get it so wrong - especially when we listen to their marketing spokespeople. I will not bore you with my classic example.

I am not saying that everyone wants what I want as a customer. What I am saying is that I would hope at least they could gather marketing data in a rigorous way; or it is garbage in, garbage out, as the old saying goes. Your experience is not an encouraging one. Let me offer my empathy for your frustration. There are some good marketing people out there, but there seem to be some incompetent ones too. Old pros tend to ask how the new ones are trained these days. If you want to create an international company called M4/3rds Consulting to advice Panasonic and Olympus, start a thread. I bet there are a few marketing and social science professionals on this forum who would be happy to join with you.

Frank, of course you are right - and in the past I have run a number of businesses based on such frustrations - some quite successful.   I cannot understand (well I can really) why large and 'professional' companies show how sloppy they really are.

However, to all who replied, I'm not really emotionally involved - but I do like both my Oly and Panny m43 cameras and would wish to encourage the breed!

As I said, I was (before retiring) a professional marketing man, and would never have allowed such incompetence. That's all really!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Michael J Davis
Like?
In reply to pcake, Jun 13, 2013

pcake wrote:

No - it's one of those 'do not reply to us' type mails!

M

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Michael J Davis
Like?
Re: Why so furious....
In reply to YouDidntDidYou, Jun 13, 2013

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

If you post in the community section of http://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/ you will get a fairly quick response
living life to the Four Thirds!

Thanks - good point - I'll do that tomorrow!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

dinoSnake
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
In reply to Michael J Davis, Jun 14, 2013

Your frustration is due to the current facts of life: companies currently construct "surveys" to answer their questions rather than get the customer's viewpoint.

In other words, company is unsure if situation (A) or (B) is most valid for their products and therefore constructs and distributes a survey to acquire answer.  Mostly, that (1) answer.  Most questions in the survey direct to the targeting of that answer and ask, from various directions, towards focusing precisely to answering the original question.

This is in contrast to a true survey, where the customer replies to a variety of topics regarding the company's products/services in a broad yet valid manner.

I note that this trap can happen to an surveyor.  I once had to speak directly with one of the social scientists who constructed a survey I participated with in order for him to correct his survey: his 'survey' only asked questions regarding the perspective of recently joined group participants and did not ask questions from the viewpoint of individuals who identified with the group prior to said group's formation.  In other words and vastly simplified, they failed to ask questions why some people felt this way and instead simply asked people why are you here?

So constructing a valid yet openly inquisitive survey is somewhat of a challenge.  It seems not many survey writers are up to it, sadly, and a company's own short-sightedness only fuels that 'feature'.  Adobe's resent 'survey' was a kicker - they asked questions about CS / CC from the singular perspective of a Photoshop user and didn't even ask a single question from the perspective of an InDesign / combined PS/ID user.  Boy, did that tick me off!  But that's all they cared about - -my guess is, they think they have the page layout market cornered so why ask if you are happy? - and I'm sure they got their answers.

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,246
Like?
contact Panasonic UK

Michael J Davis wrote:

So shall I write to tell them? Nope - they don't even give me an e-mail address to tell them (free of charge) why their survey is a total waste of money for them - or worse - it will collect much of the wrong information. A disaster!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Support/Contact+us/e-mail/8099393/index.html

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?

Michael J Davis wrote:

pcake wrote:

No - it's one of those 'do not reply to us' type mails!

I found you a Dilbertcartoon that may enable and empower a transitory transcendence ...

AllMankind
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

Almost every survey I have ever filled out has had multiple inane choices, often completely missing the point of their question.

I think it comes from narrow minded thinking.  Either that, or they are trying to steer the survey in the direction they want.

When a survey becomes too stupid for words, I usually just close the page and do something else.

-- hide signature --

Oppose Tyranny in all its forms.

agentul
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, Jun 14, 2013

FrankS009 wrote:

The marketing of m4/3rds cameras, both Olympus and Panasonic, is often an implicit theme in many threads here.

the sad thing is that we often hear announcements from them saying how they struggle to make a profit. well, how can you make a profit when you don't want to sell your products? where i live, we have so many Nikons for sale, you'd think they were sprouting from the ground or something.

"we just have to sell these Nikon DSLRs, otherwise we won't be able to get out of the house tomorrow morning".

meanwhile, Panasonic and Olympus are next to invisible, and what you can find in the stores is old point and shoots and a few super-zooms. really, we only got the FZ-150 in my city after the FZ-200 hit the market.

"man, i just stepped on a Nikon. again!"

another funny thing: the newest and proudest m4/3 achievement, according to our country's Panasonic website, is the G5. no mention of the GH3, or even 2. i really, REALLY hate it when other people presume what i want. "oh, they wouldn't want it anyway, we're not going to bother to even speak about it".

i took my GH2 (after it fell on the ground) to the local Panasonic service, and they looked at it like it just came from space. or the future. or the distant past. "repairing the EVF might be too costly, you could end up cheaper just buying a new camera". ORLY? i know i got it heavily discounted, but, seriously... after going over their heads and calling a more serious-sounding service rep in another city (which they said they would call to get a price quote, but they just couldn't place a call for an entire week), i got the fabulous price of about 75USD (equivalent). yeah, man, just replace the whole GH2 body, it's cheaper.

so, Panasonic and Olympus, how about ditching half of your highly paid marketing teams and hire some fresh graduates or something. oh, and better make sure that their resumes say "photography" is a hobby. i know they exist, one of my sisters is such a person. it might end up not only saving some money, but also generating more sales. clearly, things aren't moving in the right direction at this point.

edit: Panasonic and Olympus seem to have hired similar marketing teams to what Microsoft currently has. maybe they graduated from the same school, or something. protip: don't hire people with that background again! just look at what happened to Windows 8 and the Xbone. LOOK AT IT! YOU DO NOT WANT THAT!

agentul's gear list:agentul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 +1 more
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?

Those "surveys" are purely for marketing purposes so they can make statements like "9 out of ten dentists recommend...." There is no intent or claim that it is a scientific survey. Where do you think the claims in ads come from? Just ignore it, no reason to get upset, and get on with your life.

Michael J Davis
Like?
LOL! Thanks! (nt)
In reply to Detail Man, Jun 14, 2013
-- hide signature --

Mike Davis

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?
Re: Thought that you might enjoy that one ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads