LR5 (win) vs. LR4: speed & stability experience

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions
mibadt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
LR5 (win) vs. LR4: speed & stability experience
Jun 13, 2013

Hi,

If anybody has worked with both the Windows (7) LR4/LR5 versions, I'd be happy to hear from experience, especially regarding:

1. Speed while importing and developing RAWs

2. Stability (any freezes or crashes)

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Michael Badt
Photos gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mibadt/

Jim Hess
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,829
Like?
Re: LR5 (win) vs. LR4: speed & stability experience
In reply to mibadt, Jun 13, 2013

The issues you are talking about seem to be computer-specific. I use Lightroom on two computers, Windows 7, one has 8 GB ram the other has 4 GB ram. I didn't have any real issues with Lightroom 4, and I'm getting along just fine with Lightroom 5. Lightroom 5 seems to be a little more responsive, but I haven't noticed any real significant differences. I just haven't had the problems that others are reporting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to mibadt, Jun 13, 2013

I have both LR4 and LR5 running on Win 7 64-bit.

LR5 runs more smoothly and is much more stable compared to LR4. It also seems to run a bit faster.

Keep in mind that my system is fairly powerful and new. Others may experience different results.

mibadt wrote:

Hi,

If anybody has worked with both the Windows (7) LR4/LR5 versions, I'd be happy to hear from experience, especially regarding:

1. Speed while importing and developing RAWs

2. Stability (any freezes or crashes)

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Michael Badt

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
mibadt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
In reply to soloryb, Jun 13, 2013

Thanks all!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Michael Badt

tonyswash
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
In reply to mibadt, Jun 14, 2013

Running Lightroom 5 on a 2008 Mac Pro Mountain Lion, RAID card installed, 16 Gb of RAM. I haven't used LR5 extensively yet but have processed dozens of photos with it and done a lot of image reviewing.

Seems stable so far.

Speed - hugely improved. The full size previews for my big D800 RAW files load instantly now, I can freely move between images and the full size preview is loaded instantly. This is a big deal because in Lightroom 4 they took ages to load.

Using the crop tool is now much faster and I don't get the short periods when the crop would freeze as I tried to resize it as it did in LR4.

I am very pleased so far by LR5, because of the slow preview loading in LR4 I had been considering a very expensive system upgrade but I now don't need it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads