Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions
hval
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Just One More
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jun 16, 2013

Mugdock Park, Milngavie, Scotland.  It rains a lot here

hval's gear list:hval's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
All these images are awesome! esp. #1 (nt)
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 16, 2013
-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
hval
Like?
Re: The Amazing D200.
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jun 16, 2013

Fox, Glasgow, Scotland

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +15 more
dboogie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,648
Like?
A few more from me
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 17, 2013

I don't care how ancient the thing is, as long as I don't ask my D200 it to do more than its capable of doing, it never seems to fail me. And to top if off I don't even own any pro glass (can't afford any)...if I did, I'd probably never be able to wipe the smile off my face.

The Coach Coaches.....(he was telling the player what he did wrong and how to correct his mistake)

The statue of the mascot for my son's pop warner football team

My youngest son enjoying himself at the amusement park

My trusty roller skates....their over 20 years old and they still keep me rolling around the rink!

F-22 in flight...I luv this angle

-- hide signature --

I'll always love my brother!

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jun 17, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

I'm gonna sound extemely biased, but the images in this thread make me appreciate even more CCD cameras.

I know it's all about the photographer, light, etc, and post. Naturally it is.

But take a look at these gorgeous shots!

FTH, your shots are simply amazing, and with a D40X !!!

No unnecessary amount of shadow lifting (which just make shots look fake), no bland, dull colors, no over processed ISO 50.000 in very bad light.

In fact, it's actually the very opposite.

Deep, rich colors, superb edge sharpness, and that trademark CCD rendering.

And with the limited ISO range of those old CCD cameras, you're "forced" to shoot in good light.

When I say "good light", I'm actually referring to plenty of photons available, and the quality of light itself.

Being "forced" to shoot from ISO 100 to 800, actually makes you shoot only when it matters, when there is quality of light.

I mean, seriously, does anyone expect decent IQ at ISO 100.000, when there's not even light in the first place?

Once again, FTH, those are magnificent shots!

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Thank you Marcio, I googled your website, phenomenal work on lighting and ingenious shots, this is rare, especially on this forum !

Coasting
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 17, 2013

Just to add my bobs worth.Ive been following a couple of threads on the virtues of the D200 and finally found a mint body with a very low shutter count at a silly price.Now ive been around the traps for a while and had the pleasure of the company of some nice camera gear over the years.I was bowled over by the files coming out of this wee beaut.I sometimes wonder whether we arent being sold a bit of a pup with the megapixel race that is the modern camera.This and an old D2H i have produce some amazing stuff.Sure they may be a bit unforgiving at times but anyone with any real understanding of exposure and lighting is in heaven.

Moofner
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, Jun 17, 2013

Ronnie died from ALS in May 2011. This was his final post here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/35871092

t.c. marino wrote:

agree 100% ronnie's landscape work truly excellent..where is ronnie these days?

photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
Question...Re: A few more from me
In reply to dboogie, Jun 20, 2013

I don't care how ancient the thing is, as long as I don't ask my D200 it to do more than its capable of doing, it never seems to fail me. And to top if off I don't even own any pro glass (can't afford any)...if I did, I'd probably never be able to wipe the smile off my face.

The Coach Coaches.....(he was telling the player what he did wrong and how to correct his mistake)

The statue of the mascot for my son's pop warner football team

My youngest son enjoying himself at the amusement park

My trusty roller skates....their over 20 years old and they still keep me rolling around the rink!

F-22 in flight...I luv this angle

-- hide signature --

Great images.

Hope this doesn't start a holy war... But I'll go ahead and ask: what would you say that it's capable of? Any particular settings you avoid?

-- hide signature --

David

A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
rkumar
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?
Beautiful images (nt)
In reply to yray, Jun 20, 2013

no text

hval
Like?
Re: Question...Re: A few more from me
In reply to photoeng, Jun 20, 2013

I don't use the camera above ISO200.  I also tend to use spot metering and manually over expose or under expose as I feel necessary.

Jimmy C
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
Re: A few more from me
In reply to dboogie, Jun 20, 2013

Skates image data shows this shot came from a Canon and not the D200.

Jimmy C's gear list:Jimmy C's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C +1 more
Tidewater
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
Re: Great images, a few of mine with the same CCD sensor
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 21, 2013

Beautiful. Are you sure they are not from Ektachrome. Tonal range and depth is especially nice in the Canyon shots and the lady..wow!

Tidewater
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
Yes
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jun 21, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

No unnecessary amount of shadow lifting (which just make shots look fake), no bland, dull colors, no over processed ISO 50.000 in very bad light.

In fact, it's actually the very opposite.

Deep, rich colors, superb edge sharpness, and that trademark CCD rendering.

And with the limited ISO range of those old CCD cameras, you're "forced" to shoot in good light.

When I say "good light", I'm actually referring to plenty of photons available, and the quality of light itself.

Being "forced" to shoot from ISO 100 to 800, actually makes you shoot only when it matters, when there is quality of light.

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Very well said Marco, You sound like a guy who liked Ektachrome or even Kodachrome 64

Simply stated, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT! If its poor it can't be made good. You can push the film but you pay a price.

I know I am old school but I don't expect to take very good photos in poor light so I don't worry much about having a couple more F stops or not.

Maybe I am lazy but I still don't see much need to leave the D200

(Apologies to all those who do need to shoot in dreary gymnasiums or night clubs)

dboogie
Like?
Goood catch...my mistake!!
In reply to Jimmy C, Jun 21, 2013

Jimmy C wrote:

Skates image data shows this shot came from a Canon and not the D200.

Thanks Jimmy for catching that....I definitely wasn't trying to pull a fast one or mislead anyone about my images.  I just looked at the date in which I took the picture (Nov 2007) and I believe that was right around the time when i purchased the D200 from my co-worker and I guess I got my cameras mixed up.  I truly didn't realize that I had taken the image with my old Canon Digital Rebel...I honestly thought it came out of D200.  I'll post another D200 image to make up for my mistake....i'll double check the exif data this time...(smile)

dboogie

-- hide signature --

dboogie
Like?
Re: Question...Re: A few more from me
In reply to photoeng, Jun 21, 2013

Great images.

Hope this doesn't start a holy war... But I'll go ahead and ask: what would you say that it's capable of? Any particular settings you avoid?

-- hide signature --

David

A bunch of lenses

I guess I could've chosen my words a little better...instead of saying "not asking it to do more that its capable of"....i probably should've said "not asking it to do more than what my personal preferences thinks its capable of doing WELL."

The one particular setting with my D200 that I'm always mindful of, is avoiding shooting higher than ISO400.  At 400, the images to my eyes are tolerable....anything higher than that and the noise becomes too much for me.  That doesn't  mean that I never go pass 400.  What it does mean is on  those occassions when I do, I'm ok with having a "crappy" shot full of noise, instead of having no shot at all.  I can atleast say I captured the moment....it won't be the greatest thing to look at, but atleast I got it.  Also, during the editing process, I can clean up ISO400 noise well enough to my liking, anything much more than 400 and my editing skills don't do that well.

dboogie

-- hide signature --

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 21, 2013

I just ordered one from KEH after reading and seeing images made from this camera. For years I shot with an olympus E1 and LOVED the colors I got from it. The OOC jpegs were so good, raw files were rarely if ever needed. The only problem was the small sensor amplified noise + it was only 5MP. I tried a later E410 but the panny CMOS sensor didn't have the same look. The other E system cameras didn't look any better so I got a D7000 and switched systems.

Clearly the low ISO and shadow recovery from the D7000 is amazing but I instantly noticed things like the red channel being blown into mush, files that had certain colors extremely over saturated even shot on the neutral picture control etc.

So I'm going to "step back" to a D200 and see how it works for me. I still have a D7000 when I know I need iso800+ but much of the time I shoot in daylight with fairly fast glass so am at the lower iso settings anyway. I hope to end up with files that look like my E1 files, great colors etc but with 2X the MP and more dynamic range.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Re: Great images, a few of mine with the same CCD sensor
In reply to Tidewater, Jun 21, 2013

Tidewater wrote:

Beautiful. Are you sure they are not from Ektachrome. Tonal range and depth is especially nice in the Canyon shots and the lady..wow!

thank you, indeed the files are very easy to work on and really feel like slide film (no color shift in shadows, no blown warm colors independently of normal colors, no mushy tones). People complain too much about noise with the D200, but Velvia 50 film also shows some noise, even on 6x7 slides, and we used to deal for years with very noisy 400 images, which is not even the case with the D200.

Some people are also looking for filmic grain structure, like on Tri-X film. Grain from 800-1600 ISO images can easily be removed or damped, especially chromatic noise, so it is not a big deal at all. Look at the D7100 images at base ISO : they produce noise. Even my D600 shows some noise in the skies but do I really care, NO : it helps ghosting jpeg artifacts on the final output and will not been seen on the final print anyways

hirejn
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 21, 2013

http://joelnisleitphotography.com. I would link to images but the site doesn't appear to accept embed code or links without file extensions.

99% of images here taken with D200, which continues to be my main camera. Gear does not make the photographer. Better gear has advantages that I want, but I never place the burden of better photography on my gear. It's my job to make the image. The camera just does what it's told.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
A camera or lens can't take good or bad photos any more than a brush and canvas can paint themselves a masterpiece.

hirejn's gear list:hirejn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to hirejn, Jun 21, 2013

hirejn wrote:

http://joelnisleitphotography.com. I would link to images but the site doesn't appear to accept embed code or links without file extensions.

99% of images here taken with D200, which continues to be my main camera. Gear does not make the photographer. Better gear has advantages that I want, but I never place the burden of better photography on my gear. It's my job to make the image. The camera just does what it's told.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
A camera or lens can't take good or bad photos any more than a brush and canvas can paint themselves a masterpiece.

I enjoyed the photos on your link very much, I was beginning to think that American wedding, portrait photography was a lost art. John

rfactor
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 22, 2013

When you speak of the image quality/color rendering are you referring to JPEG or Raw or both?

-- hide signature --

-Ryan-
FZ200

rfactor's gear list:rfactor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads