The Amazing D200.

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,211Gear list
Like?
Re: The Amazing D200.
In reply to photoeng, Jun 14, 2013

photoeng wrote:

Hey - don't get me wrong. I love my D200 and it takes awesome pictures.

Funny little story, I was in San Diego a couple months ago. There was a photographer shooting the sunset who happened to shoot Canon gear.

My wife asked him to take a picture for us using my D200. (I was too timid, of course).

I handed him the camera and he shot the picture below.

When he handed me back my D200, he said 'I miss shooting with Nikon!'

It also works very well in low light at ISO 400 (cheating a little :

http://cocod.smugmug.com/Art/La-magie-des-lanternes-The/25409433_NxVc5z#!i=2091143467&k=wB6tMv8

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoeng, Jun 14, 2013

photoeng wrote:

I'm not even sure why they allowed the ISO to go to anything over 400 on D200!

In fact - they should have just made it so that you can't change it from ISO100.

I am glad they did as they did. I don't use the highest ISOs on any of my cameras. But that is because they let me use higer ISOs than I need or find useful compared to the IQ. But then it is my choice what ISO I will use. If Nikon had stopped it at 400 or 100, as you suggest, they had taken the choice from me, and the camera would lost some value.

Moofner
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to fucile, Jun 14, 2013

I'm glad someone referenced Ronnie's incredible nature photography, because any discussion of the D200's greatness pretty much has to include a mention of work. His is among the very best nature photography I've ever seen--with ANY camera or lens combo--and someone would be hard-pressed to find better examples of the spectacular photos the D200 is capable of producing. A great camera, and an even greater photographer.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/27750680

fucile wrote:

Whenever people talk of the D200 I am reminded of Ronnie Gaubert and his wonderful work.

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/d100___d200_my_favorites

His images led me to buy a D200 when I already owned a d300. Somehow my photos still weren't nearly as good as his.

marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 809
Like?
D200 is like a baby digital back
In reply to photoeng, Jun 15, 2013

Wow, so much agree with you guys!

Isn't it truly iconic that this old gem was so underrated for many years (due to lousy High ISO vs the 5D at that point in time), and now is getting the well deserved respect ?

It's easy to figure out why.

Back at those days, the D200 had to be Nikon's all around camera, but it wasn't quite it.

As low as ISO 1250 noise was a real problem, while the 5D could easily go up to ISO 3200 without worries.

That built a bad reputation for the D200, for many years...

Fast forward to 2013, you can choose any camera you want for High ISO.

You're free to choose from the D700 up to D4, while the D200 can now be used exclusively for base ISO, where it really shines.

I agree with the previous poster, saying the D200 is a mini Digital back.

I have a Leaf Aptus digital back, and the D200 comes really, really close at overall rendering, way closer than my other CMOS cameras.

In fact, I swear I prefer the D200 output over Nikon FF's ones at any day.

Well, to put the D200 and a digital back in the same league, well... that says it all about this camera, isn't it?

At least IMO.

I can only dream what would happen if Nikon had ever built a FF CCD using the same design from the D200's chip...    what a dream camera it would have been.

It's a pity CCD is now extinct...  For low ISO shooters, it was the better technology.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

HRonen
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to coudet, Jun 15, 2013

coudet wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

...So, I now consider the D200 one of the best DSLRs ever made.

I really don't and I used to own it. The body was ok, sensor made everyone want to switch to Canon.
It's funny how time changes facts. Back in those days, Nikon forums here were very angry, disappointed people, other people in denial, daily "switching to Canon" threads, everyone who dared to say Canon had better cameras (which they did) was met with a barrage of insults. But now that we don't have to own D2x, D2h or D200 anymore and we can actually have good cameras, now we can remember those old DX cameras as great.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia..

Captured yesterday with my beloved inferior D200:

Bagatelles

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
pocoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 15, 2013

to oblige...

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +8 more
marcio_napoli
Like?
In reply to pocoloco, Jun 15, 2013

Wonderful shots!

#2 and 4 are very good examples why I praise that camera so much.

Superb captures!

That amazing color signature you get from the D200 is simply unrivaled, IMO.

It's not a matter of adjusting colors in post, it's way beyond that. D200's colors are in a different league right from the start.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 904
Like?
Re: D200 is like a baby digital back
In reply to marcio_napoli, Jun 16, 2013

marcio_napoli wrote:

Isn't it truly iconic that this old gem was so underrated for many years (due to lousy High ISO vs the 5D at that point in time), and now is getting the well deserved respect ?

As low as ISO 1250 noise was a real problem, while the 5D could easily go up to ISO 3200 without worries.

At the time, Canon had full-frame sensors and Nikon was stuck with DX. IIRC, it wasn't the "prosumer" D200 which was catching all the flak for its weaker high-ISO performance against the full-frame 5D, which after all listed at nearly twice the price. It was the $8000 D2x which was the relative underperformer at high ISO (but not in AF, frame rate, build, etc.).

photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 16, 2013

More from today.

I have to 'eat crow' on my disparaging remarks about hi ISO on the D200.

The first shot is a sky high ISO560,  granted there was a decent amount of light in the room.

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoeng, Jun 16, 2013

photoeng wrote:

More from today.

I have to 'eat crow' on my disparaging remarks about hi ISO on the D200.

The first shot is a sky high ISO560, granted there was a decent amount of light in the room.

ISO560 is "sky high" ?

Look at this gallery for examples of stratospheric D200 images, all of them but one at ISO1600. The one that is not at that astounding ISO is in orbit at ISO3200 ... You can verify EXIF by clicking on the "I" icon that appears when you hover over the large image, then step through the images by either clicking on the smaller ones of using the "next" link.

Low-Light examples

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
pocoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to n057, Jun 16, 2013

iso1600, handheld with the 18-200, such an underrated versatile lens.

No blown out highlights! Yes, some noise, but well controlled and I am from the film era, so I don't mind a bit of roughness... For me it makes the image come alive... Not afraid to use it at 800 or 1600 iso.

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +8 more
HRonen
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to afoton, Jun 16, 2013

One would think that Nikon could have easily married the outstanding colors of a D200 with a higher resolution sensor for today's FX and DX top models.

Calder's Bollinger Bands

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
liverpoolwoody
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to pocoloco, Jun 16, 2013

Well, after persevering with my Fuji S3 PRO since 2005, I have finally picked up a mint D200 on ebay for £200 . Had it a week now and I'm in love with it. How did I ever manage without it. Yes, I've tried a D7000 but just love the feel of this camera. I only ever shot at 100 asa with the fuji. Loved the colours from it but I would say the D200 is a million times better. All my lenses are full frame Tokina pro glass, f2,6, 2.8 and love the quality I'm getting. Here's to many years of happy photography

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to Moofner, Jun 16, 2013

Moofner wrote:

I'm glad someone referenced Ronnie's incredible nature photography, because any discussion of the D200's greatness pretty much has to include a mention of work. His is among the very best nature photography I've ever seen--with ANY camera or lens combo--and someone would be hard-pressed to find better examples of the spectacular photos the D200 is capable of producing. A great camera, and an even greater photographer.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/27750680

fucile wrote:

Whenever people talk of the D200 I am reminded of Ronnie Gaubert and his wonderful work.

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/d100___d200_my_favorites

His images led me to buy a D200 when I already owned a d300. Somehow my photos still weren't nearly as good as his.

agree 100% ronnie's landscape work truly excellent..where is ronnie these days?

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Great images, a few of mine with the same CCD sensor
In reply to pocoloco, Jun 16, 2013

all shot with the D40X - colors are just right on, NEF files are easy to work with with no color shift of underxposing, overexposing or recovering the shadows. The level of edge detail is amazing as well.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Great images, a few of mine with the same CCD sensor
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 16, 2013

FTH I love the photos, and colours look good.  John

28to70
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
In reply to liverpoolwoody, Jun 16, 2013

liverpoolwoody wrote:

Well, after persevering with my Fuji S3 PRO since 2005, I have finally picked up a mint D200 on ebay for £200 . Had it a week now and I'm in love with it. How did I ever manage without it. Yes, I've tried a D7000 but just love the feel of this camera. I only ever shot at 100 asa with the fuji. Loved the colours from it but I would say the D200 is a million times better. All my lenses are full frame Tokina pro glass, f2,6, 2.8 and love the quality I'm getting. Here's to many years of happy photography

Now you have to add the MB-D200 grip.  Great balance!

marcio_napoli
Like?
In reply to liverpoolwoody, Jun 16, 2013

I'm gonna sound extemely biased, but the images in this thread make me appreciate even more CCD cameras.

I know it's all about the photographer, light, etc, and post. Naturally it is.

But take a look at these gorgeous shots!

FTH, your shots are simply amazing, and with a D40X !!!

No unnecessary amount of shadow lifting (which just make shots look fake), no bland, dull colors, no over processed ISO 50.000 in very bad light.

In fact, it's actually the very opposite.

Deep, rich colors, superb edge sharpness, and that trademark CCD rendering.

And with the limited ISO range of those old CCD cameras, you're "forced" to shoot in good light.

When I say "good light", I'm actually referring to plenty of photons available, and the quality of light itself.

Being "forced" to shoot from ISO 100 to 800, actually makes you shoot only when it matters, when there is quality of light.

I mean, seriously, does anyone expect decent IQ at ISO 100.000, when there's not even light in the first place?

Once again, FTH, those are magnificent shots!

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

hval
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?

A few photos I have randomly selected from my better ones over the past few months

A swan at RSPB Loch Winnoch - Raining As Usual

Siskin and Chaffinch - West of Perth (Scotland).  Not Raining as it is not the West of Scotland

Sycamore - Mugdock Park, Near Milngavie, West of Scotland.  It was raining

I also love my D200.  Have had it since 2006.

hval's gear list:hval's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +15 more
hval
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
A Few More D200 Photographs From The West of Scotland

Fern - Botanic Gardens, Glasgow.  Yes it was raining

Botanic Gardens, Glasgow

Bird Cherry, Botanic Gardens, Glasgow

hval's gear list:hval's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads