The Amazing D200.

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,220
Like?
The Amazing D200.
Jun 13, 2013

Back in 2004 I was considering both Nikon and Canon as the DSLR brands I could migrate to (...Olympus could also have been a contender as I love their colors but, by then, I had already developed this personal pet-peeve with the 4:3 format...I just feel it as "uncomfortable" for photography...)

Owning a Coolpix 5700 at the time and impressed by the D100, I was leaning a bit towards Nikon when I won a national magazine contest and was offered a Canon 300D and kit lens.

Faced with the idea of having to convert the 300D into money and that, in turn, into a Nikon camera and fascinated by Canon's image quality in their tele L zooms and primes, I kept the Canon and, can now say, don't have a bit of regret about that early decision.

The Canon DSLR system has served my meager photography in a most apt, cost-effective way (...this perception might very well change though, if they continue this latest trend of price hiking on new lenses offerings... )

Soon after my decision, the D200 came out.

Right from the beginning I found its output an extremely engaging one, both for color and contrast rendition. I found it quite "film-like", as if Nilon had created the camera to render images with an "emulsion feeling" to them but with a superior quality that could hardly be consistently extracted from the medium, back in film days.

I am posting this here, now, because even up to this day, I am systematically stumbling upon output from the D200 that I am immediately drawn into, even before knowing where the photos came from.

It just happened today, again, with these PBase galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/mgpimages/merzouga_morocco

http://www.pbase.com/mgpimages/southern_morocco

Not that I can't do something similar (..or even better, in some areas..) as this with my current 1DMKIV, because I can...And, I am sure, you guys also can do it with your current cameras but, in the case of the D200, it is as if this output is just "natural", as if a 6-year old could get these same perceived intrinsic qualities by just pointing the camera at his/hers favorite toy and pressing the shutter button.

...So, I now consider the D200 one of the best DSLRs ever made.

It has come to a point that, given the price 2nd-hand ones are going for on Ebay (300/400$) I might very well consider buying one, just for the sake of it.

If it was an FX camera instead of a DX one, so I could more effectively use it with another unique Nikon product, the 12-24, I would be pressing "Buy" right now and get myself a perfect, killer, almost ultimate WA dedicated tool.

If you are (or were) a D200 owner I would love for you guys to post some samples as replies to this thread...and congratulations on a very special camera

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D100 Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
28to70
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
Re: The Amazing D200.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 13, 2013

Yes, and I have one with 14,975 shutter clicks!  I also have a D70 with less than 10,000 clicks.  I'm surprised at the quality of enlargements that I got with the latter.  I still think the CCD is superior to the CMOS.  Add the MB-D200 grip to the D200 and it's like testosterone.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

I really don't and I used to own it. The body was ok, sensor made everyone want to switch to Canon.
It's funny how time changes facts. Back in those days, Nikon forums here were very angry, disappointed people, other people in denial, daily "switching to Canon" threads, everyone who dared to say Canon had better cameras (which they did) was met with a barrage of insults. But now that we don't have to own D2x, D2h or D200 anymore and we can actually have good cameras, now we can remember those old DX cameras as great.

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?

I can't agree more. The colors coming out of D200 can be amazing, and I found 10MP to be totally enough to print gorgeous 12x18. But, as usual, there is a caveat -- D200 really likes good light, and it is not just because of the noise, -- but in really bright light the output from the D200 truly sparkles with vivid colors, and it seems less prone to blowing a channel than some later models. Truth be told, after acquiring a D300, for quite a while, I tended to print large D300 photos in black and white, -- it just couldn't match the D200 color. This said, at present I consider D300 output to be very good, and better in terms of color rendering than some of the later Nikons, and, of course, D300 has other strengths. But a well exposed D200 picture taken under near optimal conditions still has certain "magic". I still have a fully functional D200 and use it under right conditions. I don't have any D200 photos handy at the moment, but will try to post something later.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

I still use the D200 as my main camera, like you having moved to Nikon after seeing D100 photos.

like the D300 it is fully featured unlike D7000, D7100, D600 . The following photo was taken at 1/6000 for example. (recently posted on Nikon lens talk).

The delicate pinks in this one:

Green tones:

And 10 MP's is still very usable

Crop of above:

D200 is still better than my skill level.

John

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
D200 = mini medium format with CCD back

100% agree, I had a low income a few years from now and really wanted to shoot digital, but compact cameras just werent up to the task at that time, especiallyr regarding DOF control. I spent about 2 years looking for the best camera and saving money for it, after reading several articles praising the D40X as a mini version of the D200, I purchased the D40X with 2 lenses and actually became full time professional using the D40X as main body and Nikon F100 as b&w one. The colors, edge sharpness and slide-film feeling coming from the CCD are just unbeaten today.

Of course, shooting concerts at 800-1600 ISO became very challenging, but the 10MP combine with extremely good shutter and mirror-damping system allowed me to shoot handled @ 1/50th and it was not a big deal to remove chromatic noise from those files. Since then, I made money and bougt a D5100 and finally a D600. Even if I can now shoot video and pump up my images up to 6400 ISO with the D600, the files always need to be worked carefully.

WB is often not right, CMOS sensors also suffer from being highly sensible to mixed light conditions and skin tones or true colors will suffer from that. Shadow recovery will show purple tint on the D5100 and D600 and grey muddy tint on the D300. Nothing like that on the D40X or D200.

The D200 is actually the only last DSLR using a CCD and I truly wished that Nikon would come out with a DSLR integrating the Leica M9 sensor (kodak 18MP CCD) - edge sharpness on CCD is higher than CMOS and I can bearly see an increase of resolution from the D200(10MP) to the D5100 (16MP). I consider the D200 as a mini medium format back with better AF - actually, it is the best Nikon DSLR for true color reproduction, panoramic work, and portrait work. And 16X20 prints come out beautifully.

PhotoKhan wrote:

Back in 2004 I was considering both Nikon and Canon as the DSLR brands I could migrate to (...Olympus could also have been a contender as I love their colors but, by then, I had already developed this personal pet-peeve with the 4:3 format...I just feel it as "uncomfortable" for photography...)

Owning a Coolpix 5700 at the time and impressed by the D100, I was leaning a bit towards Nikon when I won a national magazine contest and was offered a Canon 300D and kit lens.

Faced with the idea of having to convert the 300D into money and that, in turn, into a Nikon camera and fascinated by Canon's image quality in their tele L zooms and primes, I kept the Canon and, can now say, don't have a bit of regret about that early decision.

The Canon DSLR system has served my meager photography in a most apt, cost-effective way (...this perception might very well change though, if they continue this latest trend of price hiking on new lenses offerings... )

Right from the beginning I found its output an extremely engaging one, both for color and contrast rendition. I found it quite "film-like", as if Nilon had created the camera to render images with an "emulsion feeling" to them but with a superior quality that could hardly be consistently extracted from the medium, back in film days.

I am posting this here, now, because even up to this day, I am systematically stumbling upon output from the D200 that I am immediately drawn into, even before knowing where the photos came from.

Not that I can't do something similar (..or even better, in some areas..) as this with my current 1DMKIV, because I can...And, I am sure, you guys also can do it with your current cameras but, in the case of the D200, it is as if this output is just "natural", as if a 6-year old could get these same perceived intrinsic qualities by just pointing the camera at his/hers favorite toy and pressing the shutter button.

It has come to a point that, given the price 2nd-hand ones are going for on Ebay (300/400$) I might very well consider buying one, just for the sake of it.

If it was an FX camera instead of a DX one, so I could more effectively use it with another unique Nikon product, the 12-24, I would be pressing "Buy" right now and get myself a perfect, killer, almost ultimate WA dedicated tool.

If you are (or were) a D200 owner I would love for you guys to post some samples as replies to this thread...and congratulations on a very special camera

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

28to70
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
Re: D200 = mini medium format with CCD back
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 13, 2013

FTH wrote:

100% agree, I had a low income a few years from now and really wanted to shoot digital, but compact cameras just werent up to the task at that time, especiallyr regarding DOF control. I spent about 2 years looking for the best camera and saving money for it, after reading several articles praising the D40X as a mini version of the D200, I purchased the D40X with 2 lenses and actually became full time professional using the D40X as main body and Nikon F100 as b&w one. The colors, edge sharpness and slide-film feeling coming from the CCD are just unbeaten today.

Of course, shooting concerts at 800-1600 ISO became very challenging, but the 10MP combine with extremely good shutter and mirror-damping system allowed me to shoot handled @ 1/50th and it was not a big deal to remove chromatic noise from those files. Since then, I made money and bougt a D5100 and finally a D600. Even if I can now shoot video and pump up my images up to 6400 ISO with the D600, the files always need to be worked carefully.

WB is often not right, CMOS sensors also suffer from being highly sensible to mixed light conditions and skin tones or true colors will suffer from that. Shadow recovery will show purple tint on the D5100 and D600 and grey muddy tint on the D300. Nothing like that on the D40X or D200.

The D200 is actually the only last DSLR using a CCD and I truly wished that Nikon would come out with a DSLR integrating the Leica M9 sensor (kodak 18MP CCD) - edge sharpness on CCD is higher than CMOS and I can bearly see an increase of resolution from the D200(10MP) to the D5100 (16MP). I consider the D200 as a mini medium format back with better AF - actually, it is the best Nikon DSLR for true color reproduction, panoramic work, and portrait work. And 16X20 prints come out beautifully.

PhotoKhan wrote:

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Yep.  But we are going to get some flak for our thoughts.  We have already had a preview from one of the posters.  Although a semi retired "pro' and not a techie, there's something about the CCD that I think makes it super(rior.) But, that's just me I guess.  Was it cost that led Nikon to go with CMOS on the next batch of cameras?  It would be interesting to see Nikon come out with an D400 and a CCD sensor.  But I guess that's asking way too much when a D400 might not even come out. Nikon?

olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
Re: D200 = mini medium format with CCD back
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 13, 2013

FTH wrote:

While I love my D200 as much as the next guy, I suspect the lack of an AA filter on the Leica M9 accounts for the high perceived edge sharpness, much more than having a CCD vs. a CMOS sensor.

dboogie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,648
Like?

About 6 years ago I bought my barely used (800 clicks on the shutter) Nikon D200, 5 lenses with filters for each lens, external flash and camera bag from a co-worker....all for less than the price of what a D200 cost when it was first introduced. I later on picked up the MB-D200 grip from another friend. The D200 is still my only camera and I still love it. I wish the ISO was a bit better, I wish the FPS was a bit faster, I wish the AF was a bit better..........but even with those shortcomings, I realize what it can and can't do and I simply work with it within its limitations. I'll jump on the D400 if it ever comes out but for now I just continue to shoot with my trusty D200.

I'm not sure if I've uploade the following images correctly...but to please view them at their largest sizes in order to get the best quality. A couple shots from my D200:

My oldest son several years ago during his first year of organized football

I've always loved the Toyota Supra..........shame they don't make it anymore

I'm not a big airplane guy, but I have to admit I had a ton of fun capturing these pieces of machinery

dboogie

-- hide signature --

I'll always love my brother!

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to dboogie, Jun 13, 2013

all of the CCD models had lovely rich colours , that were almost film like in appearance , the d2/h/x were legendary for their skin tones etc . so much so that Nikon tried to mimic the colour "look" with picture control profiles for later CMOS models .

but by the time the D200 was out Nikon were a fair way behind Canon with low light and high iso performance ,and MPs .  So they dropped the CCD in favour of CMOS  that was more tuneable . the rest is history , D3-D300 followed not long after with the D3X and D3s , the D3s until recently being the bench mark for low light /high iso performance .

Now Nikon has realized ,high pixel count delivers previousely unheard of dinamic range figures ,and croppability that delivers super clean images , what next .

well the DSLR without a mirror is surely not too far away , allowing for truly silent shutter and faster frame rate !!! , its already been an exilerating ride since the first DSLRs came to be and yet there must be more to come , new manufacturers entering the field ,developing fantastic new ideas ,pushing the "big boys" to produce better and cheaper(eventually) models or suffer humiliation .

bring it on .

Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to dboogie, Jun 13, 2013

Using autofocus on a T90

I find the D200 an incredible camera and even after my next purchase it will still be in my "kit". Yes, my D7000 and soon to be 7100 do video and have great focus, but once you really learn the D200 it is one amazing imaging tool.

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,489Gear list
Like?

I still like my old D80's files, the cheaper version of the D200. Actually the sensor/ADC was slightly different, but I think they produced very similar output. But maybe I'm just being saudosista, the newer cameras produce pretty much similar results with much better high ISO, for example, and lots of shadow latitude.

Saudações ... Esta é uma das últimas imagens com a D80, um mês depois eu adquiri a D7000:

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, Jun 13, 2013

TITCHY wrote:

all of the CCD models had lovely rich colours , that were almost film like in appearance , the d2/h/x were legendary for their skin tones etc . so much so that Nikon tried to mimic the colour "look" with picture control profiles for later CMOS models .

D2x was CMOS, though.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to olliess, Jun 13, 2013

olliess wrote:

TITCHY wrote:

D2x was CMOS, though.

Yes the D2x was CMOS but unlike later CMOS cameras, it had off-chip, 4 channel A/D conversion with colour analogue preconditioning which was also used in the D200, and two channel off-chip etc., in the other CCD chips. As the OP states, it is the simplicity of getting good colours that is remarkable. John

fucile
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?

Whenever people talk of the D200 I am reminded of Ronnie Gaubert and his wonderful work.

http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187/d100___d200_my_favorites

His images led me to buy a D200 when I already owned a d300. Somehow my photos still weren't nearly as good as his.

fucile's gear list:fucile's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?
Just for colors and tones
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 14, 2013

photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
from a D200 newbie.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 14, 2013

I picked up my D200 a couple years ago.  For the first year, I barely touched it.  Recently, I'm having lots of fun with it!

-- hide signature --

David
http://photo.blogrlabs.com/
My gear list: D40 / D70s / D200
A bunch of lenses

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
photoeng
Like?
In reply to coudet, Jun 14, 2013

I really don't and I used to own it. The body was ok, sensor made everyone want to switch to Canon.
--

LOLZ!!!

I'm not even sure why they allowed the ISO to go to anything over 400 on D200!

In fact - they should have just made it so that you can't change it from ISO100.

I shoot ISO1600 indoor since I'm so used to doing it with my D40 without any problems.

I try doing that with my D200 and I get faces that are... in some cases... almost unrecognizable.

Moreover, I'm convinced that the AA filter on the D200 was made overly aggressive.

Nevertheless - the D200 is awesome at ISO100 and the build quality is awesome.

David
A bunch of lenses

Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,288Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoeng, Jun 14, 2013

photoeng wrote:

--

LOLZ!!!

I'm not even sure why they allowed the ISO to go to anything over 400 on D200!

In fact - they should have just made it so that you can't change it from ISO100.

I shoot ISO1600 indoor since I'm so used to doing it with my D40 without any problems.

I try doing that with my D200 and I get faces that are... in some cases... almost unrecognizable.

Moreover, I'm convinced that the AA filter on the D200 was made overly aggressive.

Nevertheless - the D200 is awesome at ISO100 and the build quality is awesome.

Funny, I think they forgot to tell my D200s that they are no good above ISO 100

http://cocod.smugmug.com/Portfolios/Concerts/Concerts/24608480_pxwqV2#!i=1081004362&k=nBmRKR4

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
photoeng
Like?
In reply to n057, Jun 14, 2013

Hey - don't get me wrong.  I love my D200 and it takes awesome pictures.

Funny little story, I was in San Diego a couple months ago.  There was a photographer shooting the sunset who happened to shoot Canon gear.

My wife asked him to take a picture for us using my D200.  (I was too timid, of course).

I handed him the camera and he shot the picture below.

When he handed me back my D200, he said 'I miss shooting with Nikon!'

-- hide signature --

David
A bunch of lenses

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads