Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,589
Like?
depends
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

cerberusjf wrote:

I don't understand how it can be more cost-effective to receive, process and return a camera at least twice, then replace a camera than to assess it properly and fix or replace it the first time.

The profit margin is very small on a body. The vast majority of repairs (I have been told this) are a one time things not needing multiple trips and the "3 timers" are relatively rare. "2 timers are more frequent though but don't approach the "single time numbers". If you go to a "buy one get on free" mode with 2 time repairs...the bean counters have shown you lose a bigger junk of change than waiting till 3 and it's cost effective (don't lose as many buys as we might think). That's simply how I understand it.

I also don't understand why Nikon can't fix front focus if it is so easy?

Perhaps not as easy as we think? That said. Seems a small % (in terms of real raw numbers) get returned for it. (told that also but can only assume was being told the truth)

Maybe it is not cost-effective, but I would be surprised if back or front focus was difficult or impossible to fix. Presumably these bodies are designed to have this ability?

I all depends on the issue causing it. It can be anything in the optical path from lens, AF-Sub mirrior (hard to adjust), primary mirrior (easy to adjust and some have done it at home, or maybe AF-Unit adjust (very hard to adjust..relative usually a replacement required). Not all AF problems are created equal

Maybe it's my personal experience, but I find it difficult to believe Nikon fixes things first time very often..

They do. We don't here about that as often here.

My experience with my first Nikon D5100 in case anyone is interested:-

By which service center?

Top sensor causing camera to freeze at small apertures 3 trips to fix

Whay is a "top sensor" ?

35mm 1.8 motor replaced, then sent back so they could fix the M/A switch they left inoperable , so 2 trips to get it fixed

D5100 back-focus, not sorted first trip, sent back and returned with very bad front-focus second time, so 2 trips and not fixed.

18-105 lens motor replaced, fixed after 1 trip (I hope?)

The fact that I had to return these items again for the same problem (or for problems caused by Nikon) did not appear to be a surprise to anyone at Nikon;they seem to have a very cavalier attitude. I do remember at one stage someone suggesting I just use live-view if pdaf wasn't working.

There have been a few hit with the unlucky rock. It happens. Not the norm, statistically, as I have been told. Always a bummer for the user when it happens though. Good Luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cerberusjf
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: depends
In reply to Mako2011, Jun 15, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

I all depends on the issue causing it. It can be anything in the optical path from lens, AF-Sub mirrior (hard to adjust), primary mirrior (easy to adjust and some have done it at home, or maybe AF-Unit adjust (very hard to adjust..relative usually a replacement required). Not all AF problems are created equal

Understood

Maybe it's my personal experience, but I find it difficult to believe Nikon fixes things first time very often..

They do. We don't here about that as often here.

My experience with my first Nikon D5100 in case anyone is interested:-

By which service center?

The service centre I dealt with was Kingston, U.K..  The company actually doing the work were Johnsons Photopia.

Top sensor causing camera to freeze at small apertures 3 trips to fix

Whay is a "top sensor" ?

Sorry, the centre-top focus point in the sensor.

There have been a few hit with the unlucky rock. It happens. Not the norm, statistically, as I have been told. Always a bummer for the user when it happens though. Good Luck

Well, I haven't included other mistakes that Nikon basically made.  I followed their instructions exactly and it caused me trouble on at least two occasions because the people at Nikon forgot something or they didn't know their own system.  Another time I fortunately spotted their mistake and ignored the instructions I was told (over the phone this time) and followed the printed instructions.

When Nikon catagorically stated that all work is thoroughly checked before equipment is returned, I asked how they missed the A/M switch on the lens, the back-focus not corrected, the front focus or the malfunctioning centre-top focus point.  I haven't had an answer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,536
Like?
Re: Not to Hard
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

cerberusjf wrote:

I don't understand how it can be more cost-effective to receive, process and return a camera at least twice, then replace a camera than to assess it properly and fix or replace it the first time.

The profit margin is very small on a body. The vast majority of repairs (I have been told this) are a one time things not needing multiple trips and the "3 timers" are relatively rare. "2 timers are more frequent though but don't approach the "single time numbers". If you go to a "buy one get on free" mode with 2 time repairs...the bean counters have shown you lose a bigger junk of change than waiting till 3 and it's cost effective (don't lose as many buys as we might think). That's simply how I understand it.

I also don't understand why Nikon can't fix front focus if it is so easy?

Perhaps not as easy as we think? That said. Seems a small % (in terms of real raw numbers) get returned for it. (told that also but can only assume was being told the truth)

Maybe it is not cost-effective, but I would be surprised if back or front focus was difficult or impossible to fix. Presumably these bodies are designed to have this ability?

Maybe it's my personal experience, but I find it difficult to believe Nikon fixes things first time very often..

My experience with my first Nikon D5100 in case anyone is interested:-

Top sensor causing camera to freeze at small apertures 3 trips to fix

35mm 1.8 motor replaced, then sent back so they could fix the M/A switch they left inoperable , so 2 trips to get it fixed

D5100 back-focus, not sorted first trip, sent back and returned with very bad front-focus second time, so 2 trips and not fixed.

18-105 lens motor replaced, fixed after 1 trip (I hope?)

The fact that I had to return these items again for the same problem (or for problems caused by Nikon) did not appear to be a surprise to anyone at Nikon;they seem to have a very cavalier attitude. I do remember at one stage someone suggesting I just use live-view if pdaf wasn't working.

That's quite a list.  I've never had any problem with 14 Nikon bodies and probably 15 lenses.  Just a lucky guy I am.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
public_af_lobster
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: Not to Hard
In reply to Mako2011, Jun 15, 2013

Yes, I was fortunate enough to visit Melville 3x to get resolution for D7000 focus issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,589
Like?
Re: depends
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

I all depends on the issue causing it. It can be anything in the optical path from lens, AF-Sub mirrior (hard to adjust), primary mirrior (easy to adjust and some have done it at home, or maybe AF-Unit adjust (very hard to adjust..relative usually a replacement required). Not all AF problems are created equal

Understood

Maybe it's my personal experience, but I find it difficult to believe Nikon fixes things first time very often..

They do. We don't here about that as often here.

My experience with my first Nikon D5100 in case anyone is interested:-

By which service center?

The service centre I dealt with was Kingston, U.K.. The company actually doing the work were Johnsons Photopia.

Thanks fro the info. Though is should not, there does seem to be some differences in the different Nikon subsidiaries.

Top sensor causing camera to freeze at small apertures 3 trips to fix

Whay is a "top sensor" ?

Sorry, the centre-top focus point in the sensor.

Understood. Thank ls for that.

There have been a few hit with the unlucky rock. It happens. Not the norm, statistically, as I have been told. Always a bummer for the user when it happens though. Good Luck

Well, I haven't included other mistakes that Nikon basically made. I followed their instructions exactly and it caused me trouble on at least two occasions because the people at Nikon forgot something or they didn't know their own system. Another time I fortunately spotted their mistake and ignored the instructions I was told (over the phone this time) and followed the printed instructions.

Yes, the different centers are a bit different. Here, for example, Nikon USA is cutting out many of the middle folks they once dealt with.

When Nikon catagorically stated that all work is thoroughly checked before equipment is returned, I asked how they missed the A/M switch on the lens, the back-focus not corrected, the front focus or the malfunctioning centre-top focus point. I haven't had an answer.

You mat not. Nikon in Europe is also different from place to place. Do hope it works out best in the long run. Certainly feel for those with issues. All I can do is try to help or pass on what I think I know...as nothing more than a gear forum member.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
millerjs
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

Nikon are shooting themselves in the foot, if this is how they behave. They should be doing everything to resolve the problem as fast as possible, not the reverse. A customer does not owe Nikon any favours. It reflects very badly on Nikon and prosective customers should be warned about their poor service and attitude. In all the "should I get Canon or Nikon" threads I've seen, I don't think I've seen customer service commented on. And when you need it, it is very important, much more than how a camera feels in the hand imho.

I have been a long time Nikon user and I just had a rough go around with their service department.

I bought a D5200 and two months in the charger died and I did not have another charger that was compatible with the batteries. Call the guys at B & H and he couldn't replace it because it was after 30 days. I was going to buy one but they were out of stock on the chargers. B & H was surprised that it was out of stock.

First huge problem with me in that you release a brand new camera and the chargers are out of stock so if you need another one tough.

Go to Nikon and try to buy one while I get a warranty replacement and they don't have one it stock. They told me to send it in and they will immediately replace it.

I needed my batteries charged to do a job so I had to find someone local that had a charger and he charged them for me which cost about 50 miles in travel because I had to leave them.

I sent the charger in so it got there the next day. Days go by no response. Another call to support and it's was just put in the system and they will issue a replacement. Told them it was a dire situation because I had no way to buy another one because they are out of stock.

Another day and another no response from shipping. I get a manager on the phone and give him and earful and I get the "big promise" it being expedited immediately.

Three more days and no email response. Call again it being shipped. Three more days no response. Call again - not happy - and find out it was shipped that day but it must of went late because it took an extra day to come in.

The level of communication was some of the worst I have seen in 25 years of dealing with all the equipment manufacturers.

I did not get a one email verifying anything! But they were nice enough to send emails to verify that I called to complain four times.

If you think about an item like a charger that's something they should always have in stock. I understand that it can take time to turn around a warranty issue but their was no way to buy another one.

Also a care less attitude from the service manager.

I've dealt with Panasonic on the video end - they will turn stuff around in one day. This was ridiculous.

Not like the old days. Not even close.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to someuy, Jun 15, 2013

someuy wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

.

First - the Merchant don't keep any af the VAT for him selves - it's all taxes to the state - and now a days to the membershib of EU.

Not strictly true - VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Retailers collect the tax when they sell a product, but they also pay the tax on everything they buy. They then subtract the VAT amount they've paid from the amount they collect, and submit the difference to the government. This avoids 'taxing a tax', which is what happens with a traditional sales tax.

Thats correct - which means, that the fully tax is paid by the customer - which was the hole idea.

None of the taxmoney are going to the manufacturer or to any of the resellers in between.

Every part of the chain, exept the consumer, can subtract the paid tax, meaning that they will only pay their part, and always get that from the next part in the chain ending up with the consumer paying.

Its also causes, that there will be VAT of the profit in every part, and that this VAT will be accounted to the state, Again paid by the last part.

The Vat will then NOT be a cost to the goods for the manufakturer and will not distort competition, domestic anyway.

The system was invented in Denmark, I think in 1966 in the meaning af cooling down the, at that time, rising consumption of specifically imported goods bought for money, we didn't have. In Denmark it started with 9%, and only on goods, but is escaleted to today 25% and on (mostly) everything.

We have had it ever since, and exported the idea to the rest of the European Union.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to BirgerH, Jun 15, 2013

BirgerH wrote:

someuy wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

.

First - the Merchant don't keep any af the VAT for him selves - it's all taxes to the state - and now a days to the membershib of EU.

Not strictly true - VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Retailers collect the tax when they sell a product, but they also pay the tax on everything they buy. They then subtract the VAT amount they've paid from the amount they collect, and submit the difference to the government. This avoids 'taxing a tax', which is what happens with a traditional sales tax.

Thats correct - which means, that the fully tax is paid by the customer - which was the hole idea.

None of the taxmoney are going to the manufacturer or to any of the resellers in between.

Every part of the chain, exept the consumer, can subtract the paid tax, meaning that they will only pay their part, and always get that from the next part in the chain ending up with the consumer paying.

Its also causes, that there will be VAT of the profit in every part, and that this VAT will be accounted to the state, Again paid by the last part.

The Vat will then NOT be a cost to the goods for the manufakturer and will not distort competition, domestic anyway.

The system was invented in Denmark, I think in 1966 in the meaning af cooling down the, at that time, rising consumption of specifically imported goods bought for money, we didn't have. In Denmark it started with 9%, and only on goods, but is escaleted to today 25% and on (mostly) everything.

We have had it ever since, and exported the idea to the rest of the European Union.

BirgerH.

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to wlad, Jun 15, 2013

wlad wrote:

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

-- hide signature --

So it does.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cerberusjf
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to wlad, Jun 15, 2013

wlad wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

someuy wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

.

First - the Merchant don't keep any af the VAT for him selves - it's all taxes to the state - and now a days to the membershib of EU.

Not strictly true - VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Retailers collect the tax when they sell a product, but they also pay the tax on everything they buy. They then subtract the VAT amount they've paid from the amount they collect, and submit the difference to the government. This avoids 'taxing a tax', which is what happens with a traditional sales tax.

Thats correct - which means, that the fully tax is paid by the customer - which was the hole idea.

None of the taxmoney are going to the manufacturer or to any of the resellers in between.

Every part of the chain, exept the consumer, can subtract the paid tax, meaning that they will only pay their part, and always get that from the next part in the chain ending up with the consumer paying.

Its also causes, that there will be VAT of the profit in every part, and that this VAT will be accounted to the state, Again paid by the last part.

The Vat will then NOT be a cost to the goods for the manufakturer and will not distort competition, domestic anyway.

The system was invented in Denmark, I think in 1966 in the meaning af cooling down the, at that time, rising consumption of specifically imported goods bought for money, we didn't have. In Denmark it started with 9%, and only on goods, but is escaleted to today 25% and on (mostly) everything.

We have had it ever since, and exported the idea to the rest of the European Union.

BirgerH.

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

Don't U.S. customers get a 5 year warranty with lenses?  In the U.K. it is only 1 year, but without being cheaper.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: good or bad
In reply to Juggernaut122, Jun 15, 2013

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

lock wrote:

He wrote "They finally agreed that since they cannot repair it that they would replace the equipment.

Yes, that is Nikon's unpublished policy.

When I asked them to send me a confirmation email that they were going to replace the equipment, they refused to, and told me that they would just try to repair it again."

Yes, that is there policy as well. It would have indicated replacement on the invoice though.

In the end, Nikon was not going to replace it at all. Unacceptable.

They were going to replace it...then they got pushed (in their mind...we don't know what was actually said). Unfortunately, I've seen this before when things are demanded. I would have simply recommend the OP take the replacement when offered. It will be offered again so only more time is lost. He will not get a refund, I suspect, based on similar reports. As it stands, they are going to try and "fix" it again. More time lost. I would learn from this, good or bad. I'm not saying OP is Wrong and Nikon is right, only saying he could have a new camera on the way with a brand new warranty...now he doesn't.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Hi Mako,

Really all I asked for were written directions on how the process of me getting a replacement camera would work.

I didn't push - just asked them to write down how the process worked - that is when they balked and told me they would just try another repair.

Very sleezy, IMHO. This product is under warranty & they are not honoring it.

I called again and they told me that they will have a manager track my return and work closely with me this time (they refused last time) to clarify what is going on, and how to proceed if they cannot fix it.

No need for a lawyer, the BBB does wonders with companies like this when they are screwing their customers who have a legitimate complaint. One more chance is all they get from me.

Thanks for the info.

Juggernaut

Sometimes just the threat of getting the BBB involved does wonders (well, in Australia it's called Consumer Affairs instead of BBB) ... and some consumers even get the current affairs TV programmes involved ... the companies than jump to satisfy the customer and resolve the issue.

I would suggest to you to just send it back ... I would bet they will send you a replacement soon after.

Good Luck!  I feel for you and this big hassle.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: He said they had three tries already...
In reply to lock, Jun 15, 2013

lock wrote:

So they ask him to send it in for the fourth time. My advice would be to go back to the store where it came from. Ask them for a refund.

lock

bingo

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.
Nikon D600, D7100, Canon (!) G15, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8; Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 16-28 f/2.8

 knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

wlad wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

someuy wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

.

First - the Merchant don't keep any af the VAT for him selves - it's all taxes to the state - and now a days to the membershib of EU.

Not strictly true - VAT stands for Value Added Tax. Retailers collect the tax when they sell a product, but they also pay the tax on everything they buy. They then subtract the VAT amount they've paid from the amount they collect, and submit the difference to the government. This avoids 'taxing a tax', which is what happens with a traditional sales tax.

Thats correct - which means, that the fully tax is paid by the customer - which was the hole idea.

None of the taxmoney are going to the manufacturer or to any of the resellers in between.

Every part of the chain, exept the consumer, can subtract the paid tax, meaning that they will only pay their part, and always get that from the next part in the chain ending up with the consumer paying.

Its also causes, that there will be VAT of the profit in every part, and that this VAT will be accounted to the state, Again paid by the last part.

The Vat will then NOT be a cost to the goods for the manufakturer and will not distort competition, domestic anyway.

The system was invented in Denmark, I think in 1966 in the meaning af cooling down the, at that time, rising consumption of specifically imported goods bought for money, we didn't have. In Denmark it started with 9%, and only on goods, but is escaleted to today 25% and on (mostly) everything.

We have had it ever since, and exported the idea to the rest of the European Union.

BirgerH.

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

Don't U.S. customers get a 5 year warranty with lenses? In the U.K. it is only 1 year, but without being cheaper.

I don't know about warranty in US. But UK is a member of the EU - and EU demands 2 years at least.

What Nikon will offer in UK is of no interest for the customer except it is more than 2 years, or better warranty conditions, than the law - the warranty in Europe is a Reseller responsability in relation to the customer - not a matter for the manufacturer (they response to the reseller).

There is no way a reseller can offer less warranty og worse conditions than provided by the European Union Directive.

I do rearly think, that UK has ratified that directive.

This is not the fact for buying or selling in a privat deal. There will be no other rules than bought is bought, a 600-800 year old  rule for treatment and dealing, implementet in most European Laws through the history.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cerberusjf
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to BirgerH, Jun 15, 2013

BirgerH wrote:

cerberusjf wrote:

wlad wrote:

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

Don't U.S. customers get a 5 year warranty with lenses? In the U.K. it is only 1 year, but without being cheaper.

I don't know about warranty in US. But UK is a member of the EU - and EU demands 2 years at least.

What Nikon will offer in UK is of no interest for the customer except it is more than 2 years, or better warranty conditions, than the law - the warranty in Europe is a Reseller responsability in relation to the customer - not a matter for the manufacturer (they response to the reseller).

There is no way a reseller can offer less warranty og worse conditions than provided by the European Union Directive.

I do rearly think, that UK has ratified that directive.

This is not the fact for buying or selling in a privat deal. There will be no other rules than bought is bought, a 600-800 year old rule for treatment and dealing, implementet in most European Laws through the history.

BirgerH.

Hi,

I just checked the paperwork from my lenses and they dewfinitely state the warranty is for 1 year.  This is a 2011 version of the paperwork, maybe things have changed?

I noticed that the Nikon 2 year consumer body warranty in the UK is with Nikon only for the first year.  After that it is with an insurance company....  but this is not clear before you buy it.  The body only stated that it has a 1 year warranty, which is upgraded to 2 years when it is registered.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,816
Like?
It is European law.
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

Whatever Nikon wants.

lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to cerberusjf, Jun 15, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

cerberusjf wrote:

wlad wrote:

..and it also proves that we actually get the 2 year warranty period "for free" , since the "extra" money does not go to the manufacturers or merchants to cover the costs of the additional year of warranty (compared to the US).

Don't U.S. customers get a 5 year warranty with lenses? In the U.K. it is only 1 year, but without being cheaper.

I don't know about warranty in US. But UK is a member of the EU - and EU demands 2 years at least.

What Nikon will offer in UK is of no interest for the customer except it is more than 2 years, or better warranty conditions, than the law - the warranty in Europe is a Reseller responsability in relation to the customer - not a matter for the manufacturer (they response to the reseller).

There is no way a reseller can offer less warranty og worse conditions than provided by the European Union Directive.

I do rearly think, that UK has ratified that directive.

This is not the fact for buying or selling in a privat deal. There will be no other rules than bought is bought, a 600-800 year old rule for treatment and dealing, implementet in most European Laws through the history.

BirgerH.

Hi,

I just checked the paperwork from my lenses and they dewfinitely state the warranty is for 1 year. This is a 2011 version of the paperwork, maybe things have changed?

I noticed that the Nikon 2 year consumer body warranty in the UK is with Nikon only for the first year. After that it is with an insurance company.... but this is not clear before you buy it. The body only stated that it has a 1 year warranty, which is upgraded to 2 years when it is registered.

Yes, thats what Nikon writes.

The reseller still have to offer you 2 years - if he still exist.

But be aware:

In the second year, you have to prove, that the issue was there from the start, or that it is an issue, with belongs to bad manufacturing. Thats the bad part of the 2 years of warranty.

First year, the burden of proof is the resellers - second year, it's yours. The Insurance Company takes over that burden.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to BirgerH, Jun 16, 2013

In Australia, Nikon has been running a special offer of 2 year warranty (instead of the usual 1 year) for equipment purchased after March 2012, only if one registers the camera/lens on their Australian website and if it has been purchased from one of their authorised retailers.  Nikon then verifies your purchase (takes many weeks!!) and responds with the acceptance/confirmation of the 2 years.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to BirgerH, Jun 16, 2013

BirgerH wrote:

But be aware:

In the second year, you have to prove, that the issue was there from the start, or that it is an issue, with belongs to bad manufacturing. Thats the bad part of the 2 years of warranty.

First year, the burden of proof is the resellers - second year, it's yours. The Insurance Company takes over that burden.

Actually it's only the first 6 months when the reseller must prove your fault.

But this is not a real issue - even if the reseller really refuses to have your broken lens/whatever fixed and says that it's normal wear/you broke it/whatever - you can take the product to an authorized service center or an expert witness, and if they find out the product really is faulty (AF motor died for example), the reseller not only has to pay for the repair, he must pay for the expenses that you incurred to have the product checked.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658Gear list
Like?
Nikon is not your friend (or anyone elses)
In reply to Juggernaut122, Jun 16, 2013

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Hi all,

Just wanted everyone to know (hopefully to help protect yourself), that Nikon is refusing to replace my defective equipment even though all of it is under warranty.

I have a Nikon D5100, 55-200 lens and 50 mm f/1.8 lens.

The camera always front focuses when using the optical view finder (but not live view).

Nikon admits that the problem is there and had asked me on 3 different occasions to send the equipment back for repair and each time they are unable to repair it & just send it back to me in the same broken state.

They finally agreed that since they cannot repair it that they would replace the equipment. When I asked them to send me a confirmation email that they were going to replace the equipment, they refused to, and told me that they would just try to repair it again.

Needless to say this is unacceptable.

Unfortunately it looks like I will need to have the BBB settle this.

Lots of money to spend for equipment that doesn't work, and this company is not willing to back up what they sell (at least not in my case).

Very sad.

Juggernaut

These sorts of testimonies will only increase as Nikon's 'profit over service business breakdown' continues.

This is the nature of big business now days, and it does go in cycles. We are currently in a Nikon 'low service, poor quality control' mode as they try to improve their bottom line.

Fortunately for Nikon, most other manufacturers are doing similar things so the consumer be damned.

But the blind loyalty shown by some here has to be considered the highest form of fantasy, perhaps even a form of madness.

You spends your money and you takes your chance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunate
In reply to wlad, Jun 16, 2013

wlad wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

But be aware:

In the second year, you have to prove, that the issue was there from the start, or that it is an issue, with belongs to bad manufacturing. Thats the bad part of the 2 years of warranty.

First year, the burden of proof is the resellers - second year, it's yours. The Insurance Company takes over that burden.

Actually it's only the first 6 months when the reseller must prove your fault.

But this is not a real issue - even if the reseller really refuses to have your broken lens/whatever fixed and says that it's normal wear/you broke it/whatever - you can take the product to an authorized service center or an expert witness, and if they find out the product really is faulty (AF motor died for example), the reseller not only has to pay for the repair, he must pay for the expenses that you incurred to have the product checked.

Yes, you are right - my mistake - the first 6 month, the issue will always be assumed being there from the start.

In Denmark it is normally assumed too for the next 6 month, if there is no trace of violence or wrong use, but it is not the rule. Sorry for that.

Thats because, there will often be a stronger kind of warranty from the manufacturer, we call it "guarantee", Nikon got 1 year, superseding the first year of warranty.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads