Is This Even Fair? Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 Duo And Quad

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
Is This Even Fair? Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 Duo And Quad
10 months ago

Surfing my usual tech haunts landed me on an interesting and, I feel, very relevant CPU benchmark comparison.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html

For those of us who still use some of these older CPUs, maybe we're tempted to upgrade - the thought of spending less time waiting on the computer certainly is appealing! But just how much speed are we getting? Sure, my Intel Core2Duo E8400 is considered old. But is the grass really that much greener in Ivy Bridge land?

The article was written a few months ago, so it does not include any budget Haswell offerings. But it certainly is interesting. Overclocking the older CPUs yields some very impressive results in modern benchmarking suites and applications.

I have several PCs in my house ranging from IVB to a PIII 500MHz (with some AMD tech for good measure). My IVB machine is my workstation, but I am encouraged to know that my Core2Duo and Core2Quad machines can still hold their own, even today.

If you only have a moment, check this page with the performance summary:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487-20.html

brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,615Gear list
Like?
Re: Is This Even Fair? Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 Duo And Quad
In reply to AShimon, 10 months ago

I wasn't surprised at the results.

The relative performance for the dollar works out.  I agree there's less need to upgrade an existing machine than many people think.  However, if you were buying new, would you get a Core 2 or an i3?

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AShimon
Like?
In reply to brn, 10 months ago

brn wrote:

I wasn't surprised at the results.

The relative performance for the dollar works out. I agree there's less need to upgrade an existing machine than many people think. However, if you were buying new, would you get a Core 2 or an i3?

Definitely an i3, i5, or i7. But not simply because they are more powerful - their performance per watt are markedly higher. Saving energy is a good thing.

I was surprised, to say the least. I figured four generations newer would provide a larger performance gap. Especially with the i5.

Then again, consider a used Core2Quad can be had for as little as $20 and a motherboard for $30, the article proves viability of an old platform.

brn
brn
Senior MemberPosts: 2,615Gear list
Like?

AShimon wrote:

r a used Core2Quad can be had for as little as $20 and a motherboard for $30, the article proves viability of an old platform.

The Q9550 they used in the test still costs about $230 for a retail box on Amazon.  You can  knock about $100 off for a used one, but will still need to buy a heatsink and fan.  The Q9550 is a very nice chip and the used market knows it.  I'd like to pick one up to swap into my server, but I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit more (The server does it's job just fine with a Core 2 Duo).

brn's gear list:brn's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000
AShimon
Like?
In reply to brn, 10 months ago

brn wrote:

AShimon wrote:

r a used Core2Quad can be had for as little as $20 and a motherboard for $30, the article proves viability of an old platform.

The Q9550 they used in the test still costs about $230 for a retail box on Amazon. You can knock about $100 off for a used one, but will still need to buy a heatsink and fan. The Q9550 is a very nice chip and the used market knows it. I'd like to pick one up to swap into my server, but I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit more (The server does it's job just fine with a Core 2 Duo).

Yes the prices can creep up, but savvy shoppers can find great deals on used chips.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713
Like?

AShimon wrote:

For those of us who still use some of these older CPUs, maybe we're tempted to upgrade

Only upgrade if you feel your old computer is getting to slow for all the more newer demanding software and bandwidth. If you are satisfied, no reason to upgrade.
A few months back I did an upgrade of a very old PC of several 6-7 years ago by home build.
In spite by the huge difference by that old machine, afterwards I have the feeling that I even had to spend more money to get even a faster CPU than the i7 3770K I placed in my new PC.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,092
Like?

Frankly, the only page of real interest to me was this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487-5.html

4:03 on i5 vs 13:44 on C2D8400 for Premiere is huge.   And I have an i7 3770K.   Btw, those K chips also overclock like a dream.   Mine is at 4.5GHz under CoolerMaster Hyper212, and stable like a rock.   For me, the jump in performance in about everything Adobe (I use LightRoom, Premiere and Photoshop) going from an older Core2Quad was simply massive.

Though gotta say, CPU is not everything.   LR4 was Ok under i7, but once I changed catalog and preview locations to an SSD, it runs like a scalded cat.

AShimon
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, 10 months ago

scorrpio wrote:

Frankly, the only page of real interest to me was this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487-5.html

4:03 on i5 vs 13:44 on C2D8400 for Premiere is huge. And I have an i7 3770K. Btw, those K chips also overclock like a dream. Mine is at 4.5GHz under CoolerMaster Hyper212, and stable like a rock. For me, the jump in performance in about everything Adobe (I use LightRoom, Premiere and Photoshop) going from an older Core2Quad was simply massive.

Though gotta say, CPU is not everything. LR4 was Ok under i7, but once I changed catalog and preview locations to an SSD, it runs like a scalded cat.

That is a huge margin. In the other tests, the margin was much closer than I thought it would be.

And yes, an SSD is just one of those things that makes an unbelievable difference in the performance of a computer.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, 10 months ago

scorrpio wrote:
And I have an i7 3770K. Btw, those K chips also overclock like a dream. Mine is at 4.5GHz under CoolerMaster Hyper212, and stable like a rock.

Same for me. i7 3770K and a more or less alike CoolerMaster < TCP800 (+ Blade Master fan) >

Running 4.5 Ghz batching few hundreds op images processing Adobe CS6, temperature CPU is not above 50 degrees Celsius.
--
Leon Obers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads