Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?
Jun 12, 2013

Hello!

Well I just got my D7100 with the 16-55mm lens yesterday and I'm pretty excited over it! I haven't been able to use it much but I'm heading down to Catalina Island for Fathers Day weekend with the Dad so that'll be a nice way to start it off.

I do have a question though that's a little unrelated to the camera but had to do with file storage of the images themselves. I always shoot in either RAW or RAW+FINE JPEG. I want to have a USB storage drive to save all my images on so I can go back to them later if I want. I'm looking at getting a 1TB portable harddrive and was wondering if that would hold a lot of images? I'm not quite sure of the average file size output using RAW or RAW+FINE and want to know if 1TB is plenty or if I should go for 2TB?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
msapra85
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got my D7100 w/ 16-55mm Lens and have a few questions?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 12, 2013

Hello!

Well I just got my D7100 with the 16-55mm lens yesterday and I'm pretty excited over it! I haven't been able to use it much but I'm heading down to Catalina Island for Fathers Day weekend with the Dad so that'll be a nice way to start it off.

I do have a question though that's a little unrelated to the camera but had to do with file storage of the images themselves. I always shoot in either RAW or RAW+FINE JPEG. I want to have a USB storage drive to save all my images on so I can go back to them later if I want. I'm looking at getting a 1TB portable harddrive and was wondering if that would hold a lot of images? I'm not quite sure of the average file size output using RAW or RAW+FINE and want to know if 1TB is plenty or if I should go for 2TB?

congratulations for d7100, for external drives, i would say 1tb is sufficient.

msapra85's gear list:msapra85's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,006Gear list
Like?

You can find the answer to this question in the back of your D7100 manual under "Memory Card Capacity".  Basically, a maximum quality full size 14 bit uncompressed RAW image will be 28.5MB.  If you shoot RAW+JPG, again maximum quality, file sizes will approach 40MB.  This means that a 1TB drive will hold approximately 33K images.  That's a lot of images, especially if they're only "keepers".

You should buy a couple of fast SD cards.  45MB/sec is about the sweet spot if you're not shooting continuous bursts, and those cards run about $1/GB.  In the past I've standardized on 4GB cards for my D90, which yielded about 270-300 shots per card in RAW.  With the D7100, an 16GB card is a better size.  A card that stores less than 200 shots will often get filled up in a day of shooting, particularly if you're bracketing or working action scenes.

If you're planning on traveling, look into phone or tablet based backup systems.  I'm presently using a system that employs a Kingston Mobilelite Wireless SD card reader / hub and a Seagate Slim 500GB USB 3 HDD.  With it, I can use an app on either my phone or tablet (Android or iOS, it doesn't matter) to launch a transfer between the SD card and the HDD, then let it finish autonomously. Afterwards, I can view the images via wifi from the hub. Cost - about $120-130 in addition to the phone/tablet. I think this is now a much more cost effective option for high resolution cameras than scads of SD cards were for the 10-12MP generation.  128GB doesn't store all that many images from a D7100 (or D800), and a 128GB USB key is painfully expensive compared to a compact portable HDD like the Seagate Slim or WD My Passport Ultra.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
breakaway01
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

a 1TB drive should be fine, but I would suggest getting two drives so that you can have a backup.

BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?

A 1TB drive is way more than sufficient.  All of my images taken over the last 30 years are taking up less than half of my 1TB Passport Drive.

I use two, and the program SyncToy to regularly backup the main drive...

Credo
Regular MemberPosts: 242Gear list
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 13, 2013

I'd always say go for the largest drive you can afford. If you shoot a lot of RAW and don't get rid of any runts even 1Tb will fill up. 33,000 shots is a fifth of the D7100's rated shutter count.

My personal backup setup, which some will consider overkill, is as follows:

1Tb dedicated photo drive in my main large desktop PC / Server. This is synchronised to my 3Tb Synology NAS. The NAS then has a scheduled backup job that copies the Photo backup to a 2Tb Seagate external drive connected directly to the NAS via USB 3. I also copy the photo's to a portable drive and keep this at my Mum's. If we had a fire, I'd grab my wife, daughter, cat and the NAS...

I therefore have my photo's in 3 places at one time, one of which is a RAID 1 array and is therefore redundant.

Probably overkill, but I work in IT and have learned over the years how to look after data.

For file copy /sync software, I 100% recommend 'Create Synchronicity'. Freeware, schedulable and simple. In Windows 7, Synctoy does not work with the windows scheduler, which is a real pain.

-- hide signature --

Martin
D7100 - Nikkor 18-105 VR - Nikkor 50mm F1.8D - Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - SB800

Credo's gear list:Credo's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillD7000, Jun 13, 2013

BillD7000 wrote:

I use two, and the program SyncToy to regularly backup the main drive...

I use SyncToy also, works just fine...

-- hide signature --

Mike

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Epson Stylus Photo R1900
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jun 13, 2013

mosswings wrote:

If you're planning on traveling, look into phone or tablet based backup systems. I'm presently using a system that employs a Kingston Mobilelite Wireless SD card reader / hub and a Seagate Slim 500GB USB 3 HDD. With it, I can use an app on either my phone or tablet (Android or iOS, it doesn't matter) to launch a transfer between the SD card and the HDD, then let it finish autonomously. Afterwards, I can view the images via wifi from the hub. Cost - about $120-130 in addition to the phone/tablet. I think this is now a much more cost effective option for high resolution cameras than scads of SD cards were for the 10-12MP generation. 128GB doesn't store all that many images from a D7100 (or D800), and a 128GB USB key is painfully expensive compared to a compact portable HDD like the Seagate Slim or WD My Passport Ultra.

This is a very interesting and slick solution. Thanks for posting it.

To summarize so I understand it, connect the Seagate Slim and SD card to the Kingston MobileLite, launch the copy from SD > HDD with the App wirelessly from my iOS device, then I can close the App and carry on with whatever on my iOS device because the copy will run and complete autonomously. Right?

Thanks!

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,006Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, Jun 13, 2013

BlueJakester wrote:

mosswings wrote:

If you're planning on traveling, look into phone or tablet based backup systems. I'm presently using a system that employs a Kingston Mobilelite Wireless SD card reader / hub and a Seagate Slim 500GB USB 3 HDD. With it, I can use an app on either my phone or tablet (Android or iOS, it doesn't matter) to launch a transfer between the SD card and the HDD, then let it finish autonomously. Afterwards, I can view the images via wifi from the hub. Cost - about $120-130 in addition to the phone/tablet. I think this is now a much more cost effective option for high resolution cameras than scads of SD cards were for the 10-12MP generation. 128GB doesn't store all that many images from a D7100 (or D800), and a 128GB USB key is painfully expensive compared to a compact portable HDD like the Seagate Slim or WD My Passport Ultra.

This is a very interesting and slick solution. Thanks for posting it.

To summarize so I understand it, connect the Seagate Slim and SD card to the Kingston MobileLite, launch the copy from SD > HDD with the App wirelessly from my iOS device, then I can close the App and carry on with whatever on my iOS device because the copy will run and complete autonomously. Right?

Thanks!

Exactly. The MobileLite hub also allows "bridging", so you can access the internet through the hub while transfer is in progress. Otherwise, it establishes a local network consisting of the tablet and hub alone.

If you shut down the app (by either switching off the wifi or suspending it), you'll lose immediate completion indication, but you can monitor the HDD activity light to determine job status. I have tested the transfer rate at around 10-12MB/sec using a 20MB/sec Sandisk Extreme II SD card and the aforementioned USB3 HDD. This is comparable to transfer speeds obtained by dedicated photo vaults and is limited largely by the USB2 interface. The Hyperdrive UDMA2 is faster in certain circumstances, but not by that much. In any case, a 4GB SD card of 20MB/sec or faster will transfer in about 6-7 minutes.

Incidentally, the ability to launch and complete autonomously is a capability of several other wireless hubs as well - it's just that the Kingston appears to have the most efficent and speedy implementation. Some other product's firmware limits transfer speeds to less than 3MB/sec and often much less.

If your tablet offers USB OTG input (like Android tablets do but iPads do not - you have to use the Camera Connector) you can plug the hub directly into the tablet and it reverts to a wired hub.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jun 13, 2013

The average image i get with 14 bit RAW is 30 Mb. JPG seems to be 10 Mb. One TB will provide enough capacity with keepers. Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jun 13, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Exactly. The MobileLite hub also allows "bridging", so you can access the internet through the hub while transfer is in progress. Otherwise, it establishes a local network consisting of the tablet and hub alone.

If you shut down the app (by either switching off the wifi or suspending it), you'll lose immediate completion indication, but you can monitor the HDD activity light to determine job status. I have tested the transfer rate at around 10-12MB/sec using a 20MB/sec Sandisk Extreme II SD card and the aforementioned USB3 HDD. This is comparable to transfer speeds obtained by dedicated photo vaults and is limited largely by the USB2 interface. The Hyperdrive UDMA2 is faster in certain circumstances, but not by that much. In any case, a 4GB SD card of 20MB/sec or faster will transfer in about 6-7 minutes.

Incidentally, the ability to launch and complete autonomously is a capability of several other wireless hubs as well - it's just that the Kingston appears to have the most efficent and speedy implementation. Some other product's firmware limits transfer speeds to less than 3MB/sec and often much less.

If your tablet offers USB OTG input (like Android tablets do but iPads do not - you have to use the Camera Connector) you can plug the hub directly into the tablet and it reverts to a wired hub.

Thanks again. I think this solution is in my near future

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
lechwe
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Jun 15, 2013

mosswings wrote:

Thanks!

One last question on this for a slow person. If I understand this correctly the card reader and hard drive are connected directly to the hub and the transfer is controlled wirelessly from my android device? At first I thought I had to connect the hard drive to the android device. This would be much easier.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads