HDR in SX280 HS

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Questions
OferAmir
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
HDR in SX280 HS
Jun 12, 2013

Dear friends,

I have just bought a new PowerShot SX280 HS, and I cannot understand how to use the built-in HDR option.

Does anyone now where is the option "hidden" in the camera's menus?

Thank you

Ofer

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,256Gear list
Like?
Re: HDR in SX280 HS
In reply to OferAmir, Jun 12, 2013

OferAmir wrote:

Dear friends,

I have just bought a new PowerShot SX280 HS, and I cannot understand how to use the built-in HDR option.

Does anyone now where is the option "hidden" in the camera's menus?

Thank you

Ofer

Sorry can't help you with that one. May I ask you something else. I had mine two days ago, the battery was flashing red when video recording though it was full. It is a common issue with that model, Canon has issued a firmware upgrade to address that issue. I have upgraded the firmware, but now, the zoom is making quite some noise when video recording, I don't remember noticing that yesterday. Can you please check that with yours, do some video recording and perform a zooming out and a zooming in during and when you play back on your PC, do you hear the zooming noise. Mine is quite noisy when zooming. I am not sure if it is a common problem or it is a problem with mine only.

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
In reply to lanefAU, Jun 12, 2013

Just remember that the microphone has AGC so if you were shooting in quiet surroundings the gain (senisitivity) would increase to max and thereby amplify the noise of the lens motor.

BTW I haven't found any HDR option on my SX280. Where did the OP find this?

lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, Jun 12, 2013

J_dpr wrote:

Just remember that the microphone has AGC so if you were shooting in quiet surroundings the gain (senisitivity) would increase to max and thereby amplify the noise of the lens motor.

The zoom is quite noisy compared to the SX220HS that we have. I have just tested both doing the same kind of footage and the SX220HS is very quiet, whereas with the SX280, it is sounds like  the dentist buffing noise instrument.

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
yooperguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
In reply to lanefAU, Jun 12, 2013

The 280 does not have an HDR mode, per the Canon web site or user guide.

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
OferAmir
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to yooperguy, Jun 14, 2013

Dear Dennis,
Thank you for your answer. If you are correct, this is really sad, since I decided on this model, based on the specification sown in this site, and to my best of my understanding it said that this model has an HDR option.
In fact, I also asked about it in the store, where I bought it, and they too told me that it is included.
As I said, this is sad...
Thank you any way, and greetings from Israel.

Ofer

Pedalvet
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to OferAmir, Aug 20, 2013

I just picked up an SX280 last week, and one of the features I wanted in this camera was HDR.

While it's not very clearly labeled, I think I did find it: It's in SCN (Scene) mode, and it's called "Handheld Nightscene".  Page 72 of the manual states that "a single image is created by combining consecutive shots, reducing camera shake and image noise".

In practice this seems to be HDR.  Not sure if it works well in daylight, which is another place I find HDR very helpful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads