Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions
systemguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
D800 body armor
Jun 12, 2013

Hello

i am travelling to Eurrope this summer.

i was planning on using the body armor on the d800.

are there any risks associated with its use?  I am thinking in terms  of overheating of the sensor.

thx

systemguy's gear list:systemguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 body armor
In reply to systemguy, Jun 12, 2013

systemguy wrote:

Hello

i was planning on using the body armor on the d800.

are there any risks associated with its use? I am thinking in terms of overheating of the sensor.

thx

I have dropped and bounced both a d200 and a d700 many times. They are still working fine. I think camera armour is a gimick.

The armour may keep the body from mark's, but if a camera is dropped the most suseptable point is where the lens mounts. The armour doesn't protect this. ..Your going to Europe. Ive backpacked remote parts of asia, egypt, treked northern Thailand, New Zealand, road tripped Australian outback, etc, etc.. and Ive never used armour..

The D800 is weather sealed. If it rains, the water hits it and it glances off. I would be concerned that the  water could get trapped inside the armour, holding it against the body, something the sealing is not designed for..  Just my opinon.

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
systemguy
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Jun 12, 2013

Good point.......I wil consider that!

Actually the other reason is to protect it against scratches ets as I would want to sell it in the next year or so if a new model emerges.

Many thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

systemguy wrote:

[ ... ]

I am thinking in terms of overheating of the sensor.

Probably not, but any heat issues you and your camera will encounter may depend slightly on whether you go to the southern part of Italy or the northernmost parts of Norway

-- hide signature --

Per.

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
systemguy
Like?
In reply to Per Baekgaard, Jun 12, 2013

Will the camera just shut down to cool if it overheats, or will there be permanent damage to the sensor?

RobG67
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?

I can't answer for the D800 (don't have one, can't see that I need one, my D700s still work just fine, tyvm), but my V1 shuts down if it thinks it's getting too hot. Note that this has only happened once, when I was doing a lot of continuous video and stills at a concert, with the V1 held in my hand. It gave me fair warning, when that was ignored it said goodnight. After a few minutes of cooling (I removed the battery and SD card and blew gently into the recess to help shift heat away), I hit the On button and away it went. No ill effects have shown up, and that was over a year ago.

I have to agree with the previous poster though - camera armour is mostly something that is designed to separate you from your money. I have carried cameras all over, dropped more than a few and without exception, they are still going fine. A decent lens hood is probably of more 'protective' use than some dodgy bits of cast urethane. Besides, it looks really tacky... As always, you are free to think differently. Enjoy your holiday.

-- hide signature --

Rob.
It's no longer about the gear; all of it's good, and most is better than our skills warrant. Go and learn the craft, learn to see the art, and make fewer, better, photographs.
Seriously, it's NOT about the gear any more.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to RobG67, Jun 12, 2013

Camera armor strikes me as a lot like nose bras on cars. Granted, they some protection from scratches and chips, but it's so damn ugly it's worse than the scratches and chips.  I would like to respectfully suggest you pass on both, but I'm just one opinion.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, Jun 12, 2013

coronawithlime wrote:

Camera armor strikes me as a lot like nose bras on cars. Granted, they some protection from scratches and chips, but it's so damn ugly it's worse than the scratches and chips. I would like to respectfully suggest you pass on both, but I'm just one opinion.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

a camera, is designed for using. use it and worry about your pictures. That is my advice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads