wide angle DSLR shots looking like P&S images.

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
jopezu
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
wide angle DSLR shots looking like P&S images.
Jun 11, 2013

most times i try to compose using my wide angle setup (d600 + 28mm f/1.8g), the resulting shots look like they could have come from a point-and-shoot camera.  even looking on forums, a lot of times people will have expensive wide angle combos that produce flat, ultra DoF pictures.  i know a lot of this is composition and processing, but does anybody sometimes feel the same way and have any advice?

when i use the 28mm like a longer lens, and step up to subjects and compose portraits, things get more exciting as the lens does its thing.  i just can't help looking at most of my environmental landscape shots thinking "i could've done this on a $200 powershot".

jopezu's gear list:jopezu's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?
Re: wide angle DSLR shots looking like P&S images.
In reply to jopezu, Jun 11, 2013

I guess you associate 'huge DoF' with P&S.

It is true that with tiny sensors, DoF is usually very large, and that's why low DoF shots are quite popular: they look "professional" because until recently, only big cameras could produce this "effect". And it looks like this is what you're after.

You should try a longer lens, like a 50mm f/1.8. The DoF will be much smaller on your D600, and it won't look like a P&S.

But even with huge DoF, photos from cameras like the D600 & D800 look nothing like P&S to me. The dynamic range and the noise handling in low light is not even comparable. But if you don't see it, why not get back to P&S ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jopezu
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zlik, Jun 11, 2013

Zlik wrote:

But if you don't see it, why not get back to P&S ?

because sometimes the pictures come out looking like this and blow me away.

i agree with what you said on slr body performance being far beyond P&S, i'm just looking for shooting and processing advice from people who may have felt that way about their shots and overcame it.

jopezu's gear list:jopezu's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?

Well, if the shot called for ultra DOF -- say, a landscape -- then that's what it calls for. I bet dynamic range and color alone, especially from a FX sensor, will blow away anything a P&S can get. And if not, that's still not a problem. You can take a great shot with a P&S as well as with a FX camera. My main line of advice to you is not to focus so much on "the look" as in "the core" of the image.

My other observation is that not many P&S cameras are as wide as a 28, so I'm not sure what you're comparing there.

Secondly, if ultra DOF is bothering you, open up that 28 f1.8 and focus on something close. That will not be P&S like, as in these samples, all taken with the 28 f1.8G at f/2.0.

-- hide signature --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/
Los Angeles wedding photography that seeks the heart and spirit in each image

ata3001
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

jopezu wrote:

most times i try to compose using my wide angle setup (d600 + 28mm f/1.8g), the resulting shots look like they could have come from a point-and-shoot camera. even looking on forums, a lot of times people will have expensive wide angle combos that produce flat, ultra DoF pictures. i know a lot of this is composition and processing, but does anybody sometimes feel the same way and have any advice?

when i use the 28mm like a longer lens, and step up to subjects and compose portraits, things get more exciting as the lens does its thing. i just can't help looking at most of my environmental landscape shots thinking "i could've done this on a $200 powershot".

This image was captured with a 28mm f/1.8g lens. I also shot several other images in the same location with a tripod mounted Nikon P7700. As nice as the P&S images are, they are no match to this.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads