Which A77 should I get?

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
jidery
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Which A77 should I get?
Jun 11, 2013

I am unable to decide whether to get the A77 body, the 18-135 kit, or the 16-50 2.8 kit. Here is the current plan for the A77.

-I plan to buy an A77 as an upgrade from my NEX because I know in the long run lenses cost less, and can be used on my NEX with an adapter. I would much rather invest in lenses for the A mount thanks to this versatility.

-I currently own a Minolta 50 1.7, and a Sigma 35-135 that will work on A mount.

My options:

Body only: Enough to maybe get a nice lens? Would probably pick up a good zoom. Thoughts?

18-135 kit: I have read decent reviews, but not as good at the 16-50 in terms of IQ, would would be more flexible (except at night)?

16-50 kit: Near budget, would need to wait for new lenses. Is the lens really worth the extra cost though?

Thanks for your opinions!

jidery's gear list:jidery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 A3000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,432
Like?
Re: Which A77 should I get?
In reply to jidery, Jun 11, 2013

My reasoning is that if you can afford the 16-50, you can't go wrong with it. It's one of the best if not the best in its class. With the Sigma, you already have the rest of the range from the 18-135 covered anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,377
Like?

Most of this you have to answer for yourself. Would you rather carry and use one lens, two, or three?  How important is the best image quality to you really? How important is the best low light capability vs. the greatest range? What if you can get something almost as good for half the price? Welcome to the world of too many choices.

jidery
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Jun 11, 2013

sybersitizen wrote:

Most of this you have to answer for yourself. Would you rather carry and use one lens, two, or three? How important is the best image quality to you really? How important is the best low light capability vs. the greatest range? What if you can get something almost as good for half the price? Welcome to the world of too many choices.

I carry a backpack even with my NEX, so I have no problem carrying a couple lenses around with me. I tend to prefer low light over telephoto, but I do intend to pick up a telephoto lens sometime soon.

jidery's gear list:jidery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 A3000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255
Like?
You can probably test out the 16-50 for free.

jidery wrote:

16-50 kit: Near budget, would need to wait for new lenses. Is the lens really worth the extra cost though?

Buy it and try it!

If you are not satisfied, you can probably sell the lens second-hand for at least the same price that you paid extra for the kit, compared to buying body only.

HarryPutnam
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
In reply to jidery, Jun 12, 2013

jidery wrote:

I am unable to decide whether to get the A77 body, the 18-135 kit, or the 16-50 2.8 kit. Here is the current plan for the A77.

-I plan to buy an A77 as an upgrade from my NEX because I know in the long run lenses cost less, and can be used on my NEX with an adapter. I would much rather invest in lenses for the A mount thanks to this versatility.

[...]

One thing no one has mentioned directly  (concerning the kit lens 18:135, which I have) is that

you will have a bit of trouble taking shots of family in even small groups indoors.  Assuming you don't live in a house with 100x200 foot rooms .. hehe.

I noticed I had trouble getting very much of a room into the frame even screwed down tight.

Someone is sure to mention the "Sweep panorama" mode but on my A65 those pictures are not near as nice as plain pictures shot at the screwed in position.

But let me add that I am a terribly inexperienced photographer so take it with a grain of salt.

thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846Gear list
Like?

If you can afford the 16-50mm kit I would go for that. While the range of 18-135mm sounds appealing I don't think that it's is enough to trade for the 2.8 constant aperture, motor, and build quality. If you find yourself frequently going back and fourth between wide shots and then needing to zoom in really far maybe I'd reconsider, but otherwise you have that range covered with your 35-135mm lens. What sort of shooting do you do?

As a side note, I think sony and certain retailers have been bundling their A77 kits with a vertical grip. If you don't have use for it, you might be able to re-sell it and drop your overall expense with either kit...

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
tesch
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
In reply to HarryPutnam, Jun 12, 2013

Buy the 16-50, its an incredible lens and a great fit for the a77. The balance of that combination is really nice! And you can get a beer can for the long stuff until you can afford something better.

tesch's gear list:tesch's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,330Gear list
Like?
In reply to tesch, Jun 12, 2013

Another vote for the kit with 16-50 - it's a great lens and the kit price is usually quite a saving on the individual price of camera + lens - imagine if you went for body only and THEN decided to get the 16-50 - you'd end up paying quite a bit more for the lens that way around.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
PhilS34
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 12, 2013

I can tell you the 1650f28 is really nice and worth the money. I'm using it on an A55 and I'll think you'll like it on the A77. I've just bought the Tamron 70-300 USD for extra reach but most of the time I have the faster lens on my  A55

PhilS34's gear list:PhilS34's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668Gear list
Like?
get A77 + 16-50 f2.8 lens

This one's easy. Get the 16-50 f2.8 lens. Having the A99, I don't miss the A77. But I do kinda miss that 16-50 lens.

As others have noted, you can sell the lens if you decide you don't care for it. But I'm pretty confident you won't.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
rotarianalanfca
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: get A77 + 16-50 f2.8 lens
In reply to William Porter, Jun 13, 2013

I originally bought the A77 with the kit SAL1650 when I could not afford it and sold the lens and thus got the A77 £100 less than the body only price. Later i bought a second hand kit with A77, vertical grip and SAL1650 lens and sold grip and body separately. The SAL1650 ended up costing me a net £330 having bought the s/h kit for £986.

The lens is brilliant. Colours sharpness etc all better than my Sigma 18-200mm and the f2.8 is really useful indoors allowing you to shoot at higher speeds. Only downside is the weight.

So you have many options But, in my opinion do not buy the body on its own. Even if you do not want the lens you can sell at a profit on ebay.

As others have said you have a lens up to 135mm. Later a beercan is an option as is a Sigma 18-200 or even better but heavier 18-250. The Tamron 70-300 USD is meant to be very nice.

Another thought for tele lens is the Minolta 100-300mm APO it is light and gives high quality images. See Dyxum for their rating. Not sure what it fetches s/h. I have it and would not part with it. Nice bokeh, colour and sharpness and not heavy.

Whatever you choose ultimately you will be happy with it. It is the photographer more than his/her equipment that counts. Enjoy!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads