Nikon d600 wide angle lens advice

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
Encephalartos
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Nikon d600 wide angle lens advice
Jun 11, 2013

I have recently purchased a Nikon D600 body as an upgrade from a Canon 7D.

I am going to be buying a wide angle lens in the next few weeks or so and I would really like some advice.

my current lenses are the Nikon 105mm 2.8G VR Macro and Nikon 50mm 1.4G. on my Canon 7D is used 4 lenses Canon 17-40mm f4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 L, Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and a Sigma 35mm 1.4 HSM.

I have a limited budget that I would be able to spend but I would like a nice lens. The lens I have considered is the 28mm 1.8G but I am not sure if that would be wide enough? my option would be to rent the lens for a few days and see what I think and how I like the feel. I would like a lens that is not too heavy to keep the wight of my kit down, although the 105 macro is very heavy (it is by far my most used lens).

What do people think of the 28mm 1.8G and have they used it as a main wide angle lens?

james

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vladi Stoimenov
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon d600 wide angle lens advice
In reply to Encephalartos, Jun 11, 2013

You can see

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/The-best-lenses-for-your-Nikon-D600/Wide-Angles-and-Telephotos

28 mm is a little too short for UWA, I can recommend you
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical Nikon

Superb image & build quality, super sharp, excellent contrast, no AFS but you don't really miss it.

Example images in
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=d600&m=pool&w=1240236%40N23&z=t&s=int

You'll like this lens!

Vladi

Vladi Stoimenov's gear list:Vladi Stoimenov's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

I cant speak for the 28 and I am not sure if you want/need fast glass but I just purchased a used nikon 18-35 D from KEH in EX+ condition for $400. I used it on my d600 along side another d600 with the 105 on it and was really happy with the combo. I shot a party using this combo and the 18mm end was very handy and made for some really cool shots. I also own a tamron 28-75 2.8 for the times when I must have 2.8 but it is not as wide which is what I wanted.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Encephalartos
Like?
In reply to Nikonfan99, Jun 11, 2013

Thanks for the reply's guys, I take a look into it. Although 14mm is far too wide! I was thinking 20-28mm. Nevertheless I will read some reviews and get some background on the lenses.

James

Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?

Encephalartos wrote:

Thanks for the reply's guys, I take a look into it. Although 14mm is far too wide! I was thinking 20-28mm. Nevertheless I will read some reviews and get some background on the lenses.

James

In the lightweight options, I see, depending on your use, either:

• the 18-35mm F/3.5-4.5 G if you want flexibilty at the cost of speed (max aperture)
  • a 20 or 24 f/2.8 AF-D prime
  • the 28/1.8 if you think it's wide enough (have a look at the focal length you used with your Canon kit and convert it to FX to get an idea of what focal lengths you use most)
javiair
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?

Just an off the wall question. How does the D600 feel in your hands compared to the 7d? How do you feel about the button and selector placement on both?

Encephalartos
Like?
In reply to javiair, Jun 11, 2013

Hi Guys, thank you for your responses I will look at the focal length I used most with my 7D and lenses that is good bit of advice.

as for feel when compared to the 7D, you can certainly feel a difference in build between the two cameras. With regards to dials and selectors they are just in different positions not real problem. One thing I do miss is the orientation lined auto focus points and live aperture in liveview. I have quite small hands but I do like the grip on the D600 but I do prefer the front the rear selector on the D600. I had a D7000 before my 7D that got stolen and had focus problems so I returned it to the shop only to find the other bodies they had the same problem.

James

ata3001
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

I posted a few images captured with the 28mm f/1.8g in the Lens forum, titled" For those that question the 28mm f/1.8g lenses capabilities". Love mine...

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Encephalartos
Like?
In reply to ata3001, Jun 11, 2013

Thank you very much that is a great shot!

looks like this little lens packs a punch!

james

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads