Dual Boot Win7-XP a update

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661
Like?
Dual Boot Win7-XP a update
Jun 11, 2013

I originally wanted to use a dual boot as I have a very old CAD program that back in 2010 would not run in WIN7.

Now that I have the dual boot running OK and I have most everything that I use on a regular basis up and running on WIN7, I was surprised that when I installed the old CAD program on WIN7, it ran very well. I can not find a fault in it. This old program is one from my working days and since I retired, I use it for my personal use, just not very often, but nice to have.

Had a number of problems getting every thing installed and working, the biggest problem being License numbers. Still finding things that need added tweaks, I have copies of the old C: drive off on another hard drive installed in this machine, so I can find things yet.

My future plan after I feel secure with WIN7 is to get rid of XP. My question is how do I go about this so that I have just a single boot?

My second question is what are you people using for making the WIN7 look a lot more like XP as far as control panel etc. I had a heck of a time finding my way around.

I appreciate all the previous help I have received. This removal of XP will not happen soon, so any help or suggestions for getting rid of XP is not on the front burner.

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,531
Like?
Re: Dual Boot Win7-XP a update
In reply to PaulM2, Jun 11, 2013

I configure Control Panel to show on the start menu - that gives me a list of control panel applets that's very similar to what you see in XP. Here's how to do it:

• Right-click the Start button and select "Properties"
  • Click the "Start Menu" tab
  • Click the "Customize" button
  • Under "Control Panel" choose the "Display as a menu" item.

When you do this, clicking the Start button will open up the Start Menu, and you'll see a "Control Panel" link on the right side. Clicking the link will open up a submenu of all the Control Panel applets. The biggest difference I found from XP is that the list of installed programs is found under "Programs and Features" instead of "Applications" (or whatever it was called in XP - it's been a long time since I've used it).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Jun 11, 2013

For the Control Panel, on Win7 I have mine set to "View by: Small icons" rather than the default "View by: Category".  This way, all of the Control Panel applets are organized alphabetically.  The problem I had when viewed by Category is that I knew what applet I wanted, I just couldn't remember what category it would be found under.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
PaulM2
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Jun 12, 2013

Ahh! Much better.

Thanks to both of you.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,805
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Jun 12, 2013

Bob Collette wrote:

For the Control Panel, on Win7 I have mine set to "View by: Small icons" rather than the default "View by: Category". This way, all of the Control Panel applets are organized alphabetically. The problem I had when viewed by Category is that I knew what applet I wanted, I just couldn't remember what category it would be found under.

Amen. The "View By: Category" is just one out of a huge long list of tweaks MS have made to "simplify" Control Panel. The combined effect of all those changes is one big fustercluck.

What started out as a rational if imperfect design has now become a major mess where users can literally go around in circles thanks to all of the additional navigational aids.

Sorry for the rant but it just makes me mad!

PaulM2
Like?
Re: Dual Boot WIN7-XP a update
In reply to malch, Jun 12, 2013

Interesting to find that as a new user of WIN7 and coming from being  a long time user of XP, that others do not like the "Category" view. I thought it was just me being resistant to change.

So far (about a week or so) I find that WIN7 takes more clicks to do things. My main complaint and this is probably operator error, is when I get some thing set, apparently other later changes to some other program, effect the primary settings. Case in point is IE10, I have no idea why the home page keeps changing to a search program. I know I set it as the default.

Another item that threw me for awhile is the favorites folder in XP is in Documents and Settings. I had made a copy to a flash drive, no documents and settings folder in WIN7. Found the favorites folder someplace else?

Long time user of Microsoft,I  date back to the old DOS days (prior to Windows) Most previous version changes were updates or added features. I realize that Microsoft with WIN7 I was preparing us for WIN8 and all the Touch Screen stuff. I would have preferred that they keep to the old display and made the "Category View" a option.

Just adding to your rant.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads