Flash help needed. For A99 and Metz 52AF-1

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions
VaBoater
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?
Flash help needed. For A99 and Metz 52AF-1
Jun 11, 2013

This is the first flash I have ever purchased. I always just got by with the little I did with the pop up flash for whatever camera I had. I just got the flash last night and put it on the A99 and tried to take some shots in the house. All I could get was a very week flash and pictures that where very under exposed. So rather then play around with too many settings I put it down and decided to ask for help.

This Friday I have been asked to take pictures at a weeding reception. They have a photographer and just want me to take a lot of random shots to add to what they are getting. So nothing critical but I would like to do a decent job. They used my shots for their wedding announcements, but they were outside, no flash needed. Thanks for any help.

What if any setting do I need to adjust to use the flesh?

Any suggestion would be helpful, I just have no idea how to use it.

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IanML
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087
Like?
Re: Flash help needed. For A99 and Metz 52AF-1
In reply to VaBoater, Jun 11, 2013

First check that the contacts on flash and camera are completely clean. Use iso-propyl alcohol (aka propanol) which leaves no residue.

I would try with the camera in P mode and the camera flash mode set to "fill". Check that the flash is to TTL (see page 154 of the Metz manual).

-- hide signature --

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to IanML, Jun 11, 2013

I would imagine you are using the adapter with this flash or not?

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +1 more
IanML
Like?
In reply to JusLookN, Jun 11, 2013

JusLookN wrote:

I would imagine you are using the adapter with this flash or not?

Good point.  If not using the adapter, you must be using a model dedicated to another camera, which will not have the contacts on the front of the shoe, nor the firmware required to interface to the Sony system.

In that case, you would need to exchange the flash for the Sony dedicated model, and use it with the adapter.

-- hide signature --

Ian

Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
In reply to IanML, Jun 11, 2013

This unit does not use adaptors - in the sence of the 3302 adaptor, it is dedicated to the individual make. As with all flash guns it needs good quality batteries freshly charged, so would check the batteries to make sure that they are up to the job. I use the Metz 54-i no problems.

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +5 more
VaBoater
Like?
Re: I am using the adapter.....
In reply to Dsnoir, Jun 11, 2013

I did buy the model for Sony Alpha caners. It does require the adapter. I have set the flash to TTL and the camera in P mode with fill flash selected in camera. Auto setting in camera is greyed out. It fire a very dim brief flash, not enough to do any good.

Is there a way to test fire the flash by itself?

IanML
Like?
Re: I am using the adapter.....
In reply to VaBoater, Jun 12, 2013

If possible, try it on another Sony camera - if that shows the same problem (and you have fresh batteries), the flash must be defective.

-- hide signature --

Ian

RandyPD
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
In reply to VaBoater, Jun 12, 2013

This Metz model can be firmware upgraded via USB. Check the Metz website for firmware updates.

VaBoater
Like?
Re: Thanks for the suggestions.
In reply to RandyPD, Jun 13, 2013

Thanks for the help. I don't have a different Sony camera to try. That was a good idea. It has the latest software. I cant get it to fire even by it's self off camera.

Sending it back today. Time to break out the R1 and the RX100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads