TG2 focus problem

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions
jmac221
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
TG2 focus problem
Jun 10, 2013

My TG2 seems to have an intermittent focus problem.
Something focus seems to physically stick.

When this happens, I can sometimes get focus working with a gentle tap to the camera with the palm of my hand. When this does not work, i need to reboot the camera.

I have also noticed that this condition is more likely to happen after I try to make a change in zoom/focal length. Additionally, more likely to happen after sitting a few minutes with camera "on" (waiting for "the shot").

Anyone else with similar TG2 condition?

It is a great little camera and I like it a lot for whitewater kayaking. I'll observe the TG2 for a couple more days. It will prob be sent back to Olympus for repair...hopefully under warranty. I'll have to use my back-ups, AW100 and my old Olympus 8000.

Nikon Coolpix AW100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,122Gear list
Like?
Re: TG2 focus problem
In reply to jmac221, Jun 10, 2013

jmac221 wrote:

My TG2 seems to have an intermittent focus problem.
Something focus seems to physically stick.

Can you describe the problem a bit better?  These cameras have a huge DOF, so a stuck AF would be nearly impossible to notice.  What do you actually see?

When this happens, I can sometimes get focus working with a gentle tap to the camera with the palm of my hand. When this does not work, i need to reboot the camera.

My TG-1 starts missing focus when the battery gets low.  And by low, I mean two bars instead of three.  (One other thing I noticed, is that it takes a lot longer to go from three bars to two bars, than it takes from two bars to "empty").

One possible workaround is to switch to the "underwater snap 2" mode that turns off AF.  But it locks you into the widest end of the zoom.

I have also noticed that this condition is more likely to happen after I try to make a change in zoom/focal length. Additionally, more likely to happen after sitting a few minutes with camera "on" (waiting for "the shot").

I don't have the same problem, but I hate when my TG-1 suddenly goes to sleep.  So I keep half-pressing the shutter from time to time when I wait.

Anyone else with similar TG2 condition?

It is a great little camera and I like it a lot for whitewater kayaking. I'll observe the TG2 for a couple more days. It will prob be sent back to Olympus for repair...hopefully under warranty. I'll have to use my back-ups, AW100 and my old Olympus 8000.

Intermittent problems are hard to reproduce, so it's hard to get warranty repair on them.

Best of luck!

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, Jun 12, 2013

my problem is missed focus in low light

I am talking about night pictures with street light.  Very often almost every picture

is that normal?  Others waterproof camera that I have used by Panasonic and Sony don't have this problem

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Jun 12, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

I am talking about night pictures with street light. Very often almost every picture

is that normal? Others waterproof camera that I have used by Panasonic and Sony don't have this problem

Does the camera show that it acquired focus?  In other words, as you half-press the shutter, do you see a green rectangle on the screen?

Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, Jun 16, 2013

BorisK1 wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

I am talking about night pictures with street light. Very often almost every picture

is that normal? Others waterproof camera that I have used by Panasonic and Sony don't have this problem

Does the camera show that it acquired focus? In other words, as you half-press the shutter, do you see a green rectangle on the screen?

Yes of course.  That's why it is frustrating.  I have used lots of camera since 2006 and this is the first camera that is having this problem

I am still not sure whether this camera is defective and debating whether taking it back to Olympus

I am the kind of person that believe if it is not broken don't fix it

Ken G.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,435Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Jun 16, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Does the camera show that it acquired focus? In other words, as you half-press the shutter, do you see a green rectangle on the screen?

Yes of course. That's why it is frustrating. I have used lots of camera since 2006 and this is the first camera that is having this problem

I am still not sure whether this camera is defective and debating whether taking it back to Olympus

You seem to be making a pretty good case that it IS broken.  If you're getting the green indicator that says it's focused, and then get a picture that is out of focus, I'd say you have a good reason to have Olympus repair or replace it.  And the fact that this is your 1st camera in 7 or 8 years that is having this issue is reason enough to send it back.  You shouldn't have to accept that kind of performance in any camera.  Just my thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.
http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/

Ken G.'s gear list:Ken G.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D300
BorisK1
Like?
In reply to Ken G., Jun 17, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Yes of course. That's why it is frustrating. I have used lots of camera since 2006 and this is the first camera that is having this problem

You seem to be making a pretty good case that it IS broken.  If you're getting the green indicator that says it's focused, and then get a picture that is out of focus, I'd say you have a good reason to have Olympus repair or replace it.  And the fact that this is your 1st camera in 7 or 8 years that is having this issue is reason enough to send it back.  You shouldn't have to accept that kind of performance in any camera.  Just my thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.
http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/

I agree with Ken. I've had my share of blurry shots from my TG-1, but the reason was always either the camera not locking the focus, or the camera shake.

Get in touch with Olympus warranty service. I've dealt with them before, they are pretty good.

WarrenM
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, Sep 6, 2013

I bought my TG2 last spring and except for testing at home have only really tried to use it on two trips. Several weeks after buying, I was shooting hummingbirds during light rain in the Peruvian Amazon. it shot the first couple of photos ok. But then the zoom stopped working -- it would zoom but was totally out of focus and the green focus lock would not come on. If I took the photo it was still out of focus. I think it did work if I restarted & shot a photo without zooming. But as soon as I zoomed (no matter how little I zoomed), everything went out of focus.I tried restarting, reset from menu, different (fully charged) battery, different SD card -- nothing helped. I also tried a number of different shooting modes. Some weeks after returning home, when I tried it, the zoom was working again. In September I was on trip to Alaska, my next real use except testing a few photos at home. Same thing happened. It initially took maybe 4 photos using zoom with no problems but after that any use of zoom lever resulting in out of focus. I tried for the remaining 3 days during the trip - same thing (but would work if restarted and did not use zoom). Now 2 weeks later at home, zoom worked okay when I just tried it. I have not yet had the chance to try it again extensively, but this sounds like a recurring problem. Unfortunately as an apparently intermittent problem, if I send it to Olympus for service, it will probably work for them when they try it out initially.

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to WarrenM, Sep 6, 2013

WarrenM wrote:

I bought my TG2 last spring and except for testing at home have only really tried to use it on two trips. Several weeks after buying, I was shooting hummingbirds during light rain in the Peruvian Amazon. it shot the first couple of photos ok. But then the zoom stopped working -- it would zoom but was totally out of focus and the green focus lock would not come on. If I took the photo it was still out of focus. I think it did work if I restarted & shot a photo without zooming. But as soon as I zoomed (no matter how little I zoomed), everything went out of focus.I tried restarting, reset from menu, different (fully charged) battery, different SD card -- nothing helped. I also tried a number of different shooting modes. Some weeks after returning home, when I tried it, the zoom was working again. In September I was on trip to Alaska, my next real use except testing a few photos at home. Same thing happened. It initially took maybe 4 photos using zoom with no problems but after that any use of zoom lever resulting in out of focus. I tried for the remaining 3 days during the trip - same thing (but would work if restarted and did not use zoom). Now 2 weeks later at home, zoom worked okay when I just tried it. I have not yet had the chance to try it again extensively, but this sounds like a recurring problem. Unfortunately as an apparently intermittent problem, if I send it to Olympus for service, it will probably work for them when they try it out initially.

An intermittent problem still makes the camera unusable. I'd suggest that you go ahead and send it in anyway. At the very least, they'll clean it and run it through some tests. If they can't duplicate the problem, send it in again until they do, or take your lumps and buy another camera. An unreliable camera is worse than no camera at all.

I still have a Panasonic TS-1 that appears to work just fine, but the files don't always end up on the card.  It now officially belongs to my 5-year-old.

A few years back, my wife's Nikon D70 made five (!!!) trips to BestBuy warranty repair for an intermittent file corruption, until they finally allowed us to use the "lemon" policy and get another camera.

DixielandDelight
Like?
In reply to WarrenM, Dec 26, 2013

I have experienced the same autofocus issues with the TG-2.  I have reset back to factory settings, tried different modes, used the timer function, etc, and the camera is still not able to focus when I use the zoom more than 50% of the time.  I believe it is getting worse.  I'm going to send it back.  It's a shame, because the camera takes such great photos when the autofocus is working.  I used to have a Panasonic Lumix prior to purchasing the Olympus TG-2, however, I think I am going to go back to the Panasonic for my next purchase.  It may trail the TG-2 on photo quality when the TG-2 is working right, but I never had any problems with the Panasonic.

WarrenM
Like?
In reply to jmac221, 11 months ago

As I said in an earlier post, I have had the problem of the TG2 going out of focus when I push the zoom lever (but not if I do not push the zoom lever). Have to turn camera off and back on. This happened on two trips this year -- but not when I tested camera at home (before and afterwards).

Then on a final trip in December, 2013, the problem happened again. And further into the trip it stopped working totally. Push on button, hear abnormal beep, screen comes up blank with two side pillars on screen, turn off, and "Olympus" appears before shutting down. Or if I do not turn off, it turns itself off in about 5-6 seconds. Tried different battery, card, etc. but no luck. Obviously it will have to go in for repair. I did have another camera with me (compact megazoom) on this (actually all three) trips -- the TG2 was just a backup and for use in wet conditions.

DixielandDelight
Like?
In reply to DixielandDelight, 9 months ago

Update:  I returned my camera for the focus issues and it was repaired under warranty.  The repair order didn't mention that they found any particular problems and resolved them, but it said they ran a diagnostics and calibration program for the autofocus.  The repair was completed and returned to me quite quickly, which was nice.

I've used the camera a few times since then and I have not had the issue with the autofocus box being RED (especially after zooming).  However, I have noticed that now my camera seems to only be able to focus on the center of the shot, and anything on the outside edges seems to be blurry.  My quick work around is to always take photos in full screen and then just crop them down later, rather than zooming in when I take the shot.

Lastly, the original focus issue happened for me after I started using the super macro function.  I never knew if it was a coincidence or not.  But since my camera has passed its one year warranty coverage period, I have decided not to chance it by using the super macro function.  I enjoyed that function and wish I could still use it, but I just don't want to risk it screwing up my focus for normal shots and have a useless camera out of warranty.  Sucks, but it is what it is at this point, I suppose.

So, I have a camera that takes good photos the majority of the time.  However, I can't utilize all of the functions the way I should be able to (super macro, zooming in when I take the shot).  I can deal with it, but for a $400 camera, that is a tough pill to swallow.  This was my first Olympus product and while I think the technology is there for it to take the best photos for a rugged waterproof camera, the fact that it is prone to malfunctions has me questioning its overall value.

kprey
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to DixielandDelight, 9 months ago

My TG2 had the focus problem after about 2 months. It would not focus on anything at all. I sent it in for repair and the paper sent back with it said it was recalibrated then cleaned inside and out, water integrity verified.

Got it back in about a week.  All fine until I took it to the beach last week in the Keys. I had it in my pocket while standing in waist deep water, pulled it out and turned it on to take a picture but the monitor just had green lines going across it and it wouldn't power off.

This being my second TG camera, I had a TG1 I gave to my son,  I'm very aware of keeping clean and properly closing the access doors so I'm positive it wasn't that.

In retrospect I should have also verified water integrity when I first got it back. Since the paper said it was verified I assumed it was and didn't do it again. I sent it back to Olympus early this week as its still within the 1 year warranty.  >sigh<

kprey's gear list:kprey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D5200 Olympus E-M1 +6 more
Simon18
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to DixielandDelight, 8 months ago

Similar issue for me. Have you noticed whether this only happens after zooming out or zoom out to max wide? For me zooming back in a little (like single/double clicking the computer mouse) fixes it.

This has been my first experience with an Olympus product and consider this a major defect and disappointment. </rant>

MaxScubaDiver
Like?
In reply to Simon18, 5 months ago

I just returned from a vacation to the island of Coco. the camera was working perfectly before this trip. On my first dive of the trip I put the camera in SCN mode and selected underwater macro. The camera failed to focus. About 80% of my shots from my vacation are out of focus. I selected the next wider underwater SCN selection (underwater wide) and the pictures are fine. Tried using it on the surface and most shots won't focus no matter what mode is selected although fairly close night shots seem to work. Bought it in May of 13 so I'm just outside the warranty period. Very bummed out that a "tough" camera can't perform a basic function.

MaxScubaDiver
Like?
In reply to MaxScubaDiver, 5 months ago

Update - Called Olympus and thought I would have to send in the unit for repair. The rep had me "Reset" the camera. Much to my suprise It FIXED the problem. The one button I didn't try UGH!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads