My Experience No. 2 in the world of micro {Correction welcome}

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Photos
Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,219Gear list
Like?
My Experience No. 2 in the world of micro {Correction welcome}
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks and appreciation to Stephen Barrett, who encouraged me to do that.
It's a quick experience without any equipment to photograph Micro.
Only use "Focus-BKT" attended by 3 shots (not 37 shots as Stephen Barrett did it)
Waiting for the script to open shots limit, as waterwingz promised so
Here's the experiment While waiting for your suggestions to increase my skill

1&2. EXIF: ISO800, 1/8sec, f/3.4

3&4. EXIF: ISO80, 1sec, f/3.4

5. EXIF: ISO80, 0.8sec, f/3.4

6&7. EXIF: ISO80, 1/2sec, f/3.4

Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list:Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list
Kodak DX7590 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?
Re: My Experience No. 2 in the world of micro {Correction welcome}
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, Jun 10, 2013

Love the last one! Well done, Hossam, congratulations !

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen Barrett
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, Jun 10, 2013

Great job, Hossam!
The detail in #1 is very impressive because it is close and has lots of light. It's very clean too. I find that, with closeup lenses, the greater the magnification, the more problems I have with lighting, noise and haloes. So your clean, sharp image is really pleasing. #5 is from a nice angle and interesting with the watch-face behind. #7 gives a good sense of motion.

One suggestion to experiment with stacking more than 3 macro shots (until you get a script for more) is to change the focus manually. Hand-held won't work, so you will either need a tripod or something to hold the camera so it won't move. Maybe you could bolt it to something. Once you focus on your subject by half pressing the shutter, you can switch to manual focus by simultaneously pressing the left side of the control wheel. Then manually focus farther back and start taking shots. Between each shot, turn the control wheel to focus a little closer (every time you see the focus-distance bar in the viewfinder move). Here is a little experiment that I tried:
Photo #1 is a single macro shot:

#1: Single macro shot

Photo #2 is from 38 stacked shots, obtained by the method I just described. For the camera's macro setting, this method actually works much better than using rails:

38 Stacked macro shots - stacked manually by dialing the control wheel between shots

The experiment actually had 6 more methods of getting approximately the same view of the flowers:
#3: Macro stacked using rails: poor result because the change of perspective was too large.
#4: Stacked using home-made 600 mm closeup lens with camera at 60.1 mm focal length. Good, but not as good as #2. (For smaller subjects, using more camera zoom, the closeup lens can outperform macro.)
#5 Single 50" telemacro shot @ full optical x 1.3 digital zoom from a distance of 50 inches (1.3 m). Not as much detail as #2.
#6 Stacked 50" telemacro. Better than #5 because of increased DOF, but not as good as #2.
#7 Single 1' telemacro 24.6 mm (135 mm mark on lens barrel) x 1.7 on camera at a distance of 1 ft (0.3 m)
[Recommended by Steen Bay. See
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8819494033/macro-vs-telemacro-with-sx3040  ]

Better detail than #5.
#8 Stacked 1' telemacro. Better than #7 but still not as much detail as #2.

Conclusion: If you can get the magnification that you want with macro, the detail is better than from farther away with the same magnification or field of view. (i.e. Closer is better.)

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Jun 10, 2013

Stephen, you are Brilliant teacher as well, I got your Idea, and I think it's better then the script from CHDK.

Just give me couple of hours to make another test exam, and you will see, I'm a good student too

Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list:Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg's gear list
Stephen Barrett
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, Jun 11, 2013

Well Hossam,
I can tell you are having fun.  Do you ever sleep?

I just looked at the CHDK User Manual and there is already a script for focus bracketing.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

"Bracketing in continuous mode"
Subj. Dist. Bracket Value...[0 – 100]
Value factor (mm)...[Off, 1, 10, 100, 1000]
Used as a multiplier for Distance bracketing value.

The way that I read this is that you set the first number (say 15) and the second (say 1 mm). Then the two numbers get multiplied together (15 x 1 mm) = 15mm.
The second number appears to be the step size, but it isn't clear to me whether the first number is the minimum or maximum focus distance. Maybe if you keep the shutter pressed in continuous mode it will then step to 16 mm, 17 mm etc. or maybe it goes the other way: 15 mm, 14 mm 13 mm etc.
That would make things simple but I am not sure that it works that way.
Maybe waterwingz can explain what CHDK does now and what his script will do.

My wife has the SX240, which has a hand-held low-light setting. When you press the shutter once, the camera takes several pictures and combines them into one. If cameras can do that, they should be able do do focus-bracketing the same way, after allowing us to specify the minimum and maximum focus distances and the step size. It could be an option to have the camera perform the alignment and stacking.  Maybe in the SX60, in case Canon is listening.

Another good thing in CHDK is the colour (RGB) histogram. Here is an interesting thread about why it is important:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3379159
"C'mon Fuji - Please Give Us A Proper RGB Histogram!"
I was often getting inaccurate colours in pictures of flowers, even though I was careful to look at the luminance histogram.  After reading this thread, I looked at the colour histograms in PhotoShop Elements and found that I had been clipping off the top ends of some or all colours. I don't know why, but it seems to be especially important for flowers. Since then, I usually do exposure bracketing or underexpose by 2/3 of a stop.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hossam Saad ElDin Abd Alhalim Farg, Jun 11, 2013

Well done Hossam. You are quite adept with the SX50. Always a pleasure.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Jun 11, 2013

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Well Hossam,
I can tell you are having fun. Do you ever sleep?

I just looked at the CHDK User Manual and there is already a script for focus bracketing.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

Yes I visit this link, and read it, and found that option in my Camera when running CHDK, and set it to on.

But nothing happens, I don't know why?

for sure I missed something in sitting.

but I found there a script made for SX10IS is this can work for our SX50, I'm afraid if I try it, my camera goes Broken

This is the link for it: Focus Bracketing with set focus and get focus

"Bracketing in continuous mode"
Subj. Dist. Bracket Value...[0 – 100]
Value factor (mm)...[Off, 1, 10, 100, 1000]
Used as a multiplier for Distance bracketing value.

The way that I read this is that you set the first number (say 15) and the second (say 1 mm). Then the two numbers get multiplied together (15 x 1 mm) = 15mm.
The second number appears to be the step size, but it isn't clear to me whether the first number is the minimum or maximum focus distance. Maybe if you keep the shutter pressed in continuous mode it will then step to 16 mm, 17 mm etc. or maybe it goes the other way: 15 mm, 14 mm 13 mm etc.
That would make things simple but I am not sure that it works that way.
Maybe waterwingz can explain what CHDK does now and what his script will do.

My wife has the SX240, which has a hand-held low-light setting. When you press the shutter once, the camera takes several pictures and combines them into one. If cameras can do that, they should be able do do focus-bracketing the same way, after allowing us to specify the minimum and maximum focus distances and the step size. It could be an option to have the camera perform the alignment and stacking. Maybe in the SX60, in case Canon is listening.

Another good thing in CHDK is the colour (RGB) histogram. Here is an interesting thread about why it is important:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3379159
"C'mon Fuji - Please Give Us A Proper RGB Histogram!"
I was often getting inaccurate colours in pictures of flowers, even though I was careful to look at the luminance histogram. After reading this thread, I looked at the colour histograms in PhotoShop Elements and found that I had been clipping off the top ends of some or all colours. I don't know why, but it seems to be especially important for flowers. Since then, I usually do exposure bracketing or underexpose by 2/3 of a stop.

Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Jun 11, 2013

Augustin Man wrote:

Love the last one! Well done, Hossam, congratulations !

Happy shooting,

Augustin

yes me also, and I think if I made it from 60 shot, clockwise seconds will fill the entire rotation

I'll try it and see what will happend.

I'm glad you like it Augustin, thanks.

Like?
In reply to MarioV, Jun 11, 2013

MarioV wrote:

Well done Hossam. You are quite adept with the SX50. Always a pleasure.

most of us here who has this great little camera do the same way too, I've been enjoing see the other resits too, as yours my friend,

Thank you so much Mario

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads