Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,306
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to theswede, Jun 13, 2013

theswede wrote:
I think my boss has a fair indication of my willingness to learn new stuff.

As long as there is a point to learning it.

So it's not your boss who gets to decide if there is a point to learn something new ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to Archer66, Jun 13, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

theswede wrote:
I think my boss has a fair indication of my willingness to learn new stuff.

As long as there is a point to learning it.

So it's not your boss who gets to decide if there is a point to learn something new ?

That's what he pays me to figure out.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,647
Like?
Re: One of the funniest reads for me in a while
In reply to VirtualMirage, Jun 14, 2013

I have seen the following scenario a lot of times at stores like Costco or Staples: a shopper comes up to the computers, tries to poke about those tiles with a consternated look, shakes head, and leaves.

Sure, pro-Win 8 crowd keeps telling us: you get used to it if you give it a few days, it can be customized, learn something new, you can remove Metro with a third-party software, etc.

Problem is, a potential shopper itching for a new toy will give the product at most half a minute. If it doesn't 'click', he will move on. Consider someone wanting a device on which he can browse websites, read email, and use various media: photo, video and music.

Just a few years ago, for these tasks, the only workable consumer alternative to a Windows-based PC (laptop or desktop) was a rather more expensive Mac, so MS knew that eventually this same customer would find himself looking at that same Windows device. Today, such customer just might decide to pick up an iPad or an Android tablet.

Now, first thing one does when coming up to a particular device at a store, is try and do things he is used to doing on this kind of device. Almost everyone these days has some track with technology, and used to doing things a certain way. Ideally, a device should present an interface that is immediately familiar, but looking more advanced, with new features that are there at your fingertips, but not getting in the way of the familiar stuff.

An iPhone 3 user picking up an iPhone 5 or an iPad will immediately feel at home. Someone who uses a Froyo or Gingerbread 'Droid will find a Jelly Bean phone or tablet very familiar. And there is a certain degree of similarity between iOS and Android. Now, a Win XP user, would find Win 7 interface quite familiar as well. But Win 8? Only Windows Phone users (both of them) would not be confused. Cause for all its customizability, Win 8 'out of the box' is a jumbled mess, that also looks like a throwback to the late 80's when 16-color EGA cards were the norm.

And the reason? MS trying to strongarm its customer base into using its apps market, so that its mobile offering, which abysmally lags behind iOS and Android, can get some traction. All they get is backlash. People shirk Win 8 devices. Corporations replace Win 8 with 7 or XP. Many of those who do get Win 8, dump Metro via Classic Shell or something similar - meaning they never get close to any of those apps MS is so anxious to sell.

And as for app developers... Remember Win 7 gadgets? People wrote lots of them, and uploaded to MS Live for others to use. There were some really nice ones. Guess what - one day the gadget gallery was just GONE. You clicked 'Gadgets' in desktop menu, clicked 'Get more gadgets online', and you got... THIS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/gadgets

Now, if you were an author of some of them gadgets, would you be inclined to write apps for Win 8?

Now, if the design was up to me, Win 8 would offer a UI rather similar to Win 7, with Start Menu and all, including support for Win 7 gadgets, but incorporating app tiles directly on the desktop, similar to gadgets, but more powerful. App tiles, when clicked, would launch in windows, rather than full screen. The system could be switched - if desired - into tiled 'Metro' mode, similar to the Surface or Phone experience. Wouldn't that get far better acceptance, and actually get people into the apps more? As it stands, anyone running Win 8 with a Classic Shell is not using a single app.

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Best post in the entire thread
In reply to scorrpio, Jun 14, 2013

scorrpio wrote:

I have seen the following scenario a lot of times at stores like Costco or Staples: a shopper comes up to the computers, tries to poke about those tiles with a consternated look, shakes head, and leaves.

Sure, pro-Win 8 crowd keeps telling us: you get used to it if you give it a few days, it can be customized, learn something new, you can remove Metro with a third-party software, etc.

Problem is, a potential shopper itching for a new toy will give the product at most half a minute. If it doesn't 'click', he will move on. Consider someone wanting a device on which he can browse websites, read email, and use various media: photo, video and music.

Just a few years ago, for these tasks, the only workable consumer alternative to a Windows-based PC (laptop or desktop) was a rather more expensive Mac, so MS knew that eventually this same customer would find himself looking at that same Windows device. Today, such customer just might decide to pick up an iPad or an Android tablet.

Now, first thing one does when coming up to a particular device at a store, is try and do things he is used to doing on this kind of device. Almost everyone these days has some track with technology, and used to doing things a certain way. Ideally, a device should present an interface that is immediately familiar, but looking more advanced, with new features that are there at your fingertips, but not getting in the way of the familiar stuff.

An iPhone 3 user picking up an iPhone 5 or an iPad will immediately feel at home. Someone who uses a Froyo or Gingerbread 'Droid will find a Jelly Bean phone or tablet very familiar. And there is a certain degree of similarity between iOS and Android. Now, a Win XP user, would find Win 7 interface quite familiar as well. But Win 8? Only Windows Phone users (both of them) would not be confused. Cause for all its customizability, Win 8 'out of the box' is a jumbled mess, that also looks like a throwback to the late 80's when 16-color EGA cards were the norm.

And the reason? MS trying to strongarm its customer base into using its apps market, so that its mobile offering, which abysmally lags behind iOS and Android, can get some traction. All they get is backlash. People shirk Win 8 devices. Corporations replace Win 8 with 7 or XP. Many of those who do get Win 8, dump Metro via Classic Shell or something similar - meaning they never get close to any of those apps MS is so anxious to sell.

And as for app developers... Remember Win 7 gadgets? People wrote lots of them, and uploaded to MS Live for others to use. There were some really nice ones. Guess what - one day the gadget gallery was just GONE. You clicked 'Gadgets' in desktop menu, clicked 'Get more gadgets online', and you got... THIS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/gadgets

Now, if you were an author of some of them gadgets, would you be inclined to write apps for Win 8?

Now, if the design was up to me, Win 8 would offer a UI rather similar to Win 7, with Start Menu and all, including support for Win 7 gadgets, but incorporating app tiles directly on the desktop, similar to gadgets, but more powerful. App tiles, when clicked, would launch in windows, rather than full screen. The system could be switched - if desired - into tiled 'Metro' mode, similar to the Surface or Phone experience. Wouldn't that get far better acceptance, and actually get people into the apps more? As it stands, anyone running Win 8 with a Classic Shell is not using a single app.

+1

Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155
Like?
+1 nt
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Jun 14, 2013
No text.
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 7 Pro loads extremely fast off SSD drive with OS....
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 14, 2013

Just bought Dell XPS8500 and asked for win 7 pro instead of win 8 pro and sales allowed this if you ask by phone and get manager (Dell wants your business). I have 256 SSD for OS and i7 with 1GB Radeon card ad 16 ram memory. Win 7 from cold start opens to user password in 30 seconds flat. After password the final screen is completed in 15 seconds. I timed it.

Windows 7 Pro does not keep me waiting at all. Nearly the speed of starting my 7 inch tabloid with Android 4.

All my IT friends recommend Win 7 Pro, most corporate businesses either use it, or WinXP if they still have not changed and Microsoft will support Win 7 for another 10 years I am told.

Except for consumers who prefer touchscreen and like Metro, I would not recommend Win 8.
Adding a third party software like Start 8 or Retro is not the solution (although works for some).

Sorry, love PC and win 7 pro. Not win 8 after trying it in stores. Microsoft is pushing win 8 because of its Apps store on Metro page and license OS fees to software suppliers, is what I hear from others. Am I wrong on this?

Really love Win 7 Pro after using for 2 months. Should have upgraded from Win XP long ago.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,306
Like?
Re: Windows 7 end of support
In reply to Adrian Van, Jun 14, 2013

Adrian Van wrote:

Microsoft will support Win 7 for another 10 years I am told.

Not quite 10 years, date for "End of mainstream support" is Jan. 13, 2015.

"End of extended support" date is Jan. 14, 2020.

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616
Like?
Re: Windows 7 Pro loads extremely fast off SSD drive with OS....
In reply to Adrian Van, Jun 14, 2013

Adrian Van wrote:

Just bought Dell XPS8500 and asked for win 7 pro instead of win 8 pro and sales allowed this if you ask by phone and get manager (Dell wants your business). I have 256 SSD for OS and i7 with 1GB Radeon card ad 16 ram memory. Win 7 from cold start opens to user password in 30 seconds flat. After password the final screen is completed in 15 seconds. I timed it.

Windows 7 Pro does not keep me waiting at all. Nearly the speed of starting my 7 inch tabloid with Android 4.

All my IT friends recommend Win 7 Pro, most corporate businesses either use it, or WinXP if they still have not changed and Microsoft will support Win 7 for another 10 years I am told.

Except for consumers who prefer touchscreen and like Metro, I would not recommend Win 8.
Adding a third party software like Start 8 or Retro is not the solution (although works for some).

Sorry, love PC and win 7 pro. Not win 8 after trying it in stores. Microsoft is pushing win 8 because of its Apps store on Metro page and license OS fees to software suppliers, is what I hear from others. Am I wrong on this?

Really love Win 7 Pro after using for 2 months. Should have upgraded from Win XP long ago.

This is what confuses me about post like this.  After no actual experience with Windows 8 (at least, non that you've stated) you are quite ready to make not only a judgement about it, but a recommendation to others.

It's like me recommending that you avoid a particular movie despite only having seen the trailers and having no idea what sort of movies you like.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads