Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions
raymb
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Win8 vs Win7
Jun 10, 2013

Not withstanding the much maligned metro interface on Win8, which can be replaced with third

party software. Are there any benefits in Win8 as an operating system that would make the switch worthwhile?.

Many thanks in advance

Ray

gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: Win8 vs Win7
In reply to raymb, Jun 10, 2013

Windows 8 will benefit those that use touch screens, mainly tablets/laptops, reaching across ALL DAY to a touch screen on a desktop will prove tiresome!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,518
Like?

raymb wrote:

Not withstanding the much maligned metro interface on Win8, which can be replaced with third

party software. Are there any benefits in Win8 as an operating system that would make the switch worthwhile?.

Many thanks in advance

Ray

AS near as I can tell it is Win7 optimised for touch at the expense of desktop users.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928
Like?

For laptops....yes.

Win8 does a better job with power mgmt., and especially resuming from hibernation over Win7. I know several large point of sale network that are drooling all over Win8 because it works so well in this type of kiosk  / dedicated function roll.

Lots of security tweaks in Win8 as well, but nothing dramatic. I tolerate Win8 on my laptop simply because I'm constantly moving to different client networks and need to rapidly boot up and connect. For a general desktop I stick to Win7 because Metro is annoying and *cannot* be disabled via 3rd party addons. Getting sick of hearing that.

Virtualization works fine in Win8 as well, although no different than Win7.

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422
Like?

AFAIK, Win 8 has a number of performance tweaks over Win 7.

If you already got a Win 7 machine, I'd say there is no reason to spend $$$ on an upgrade.

I know some people who bought a machine preloaded with Win 8, and immediately wiped it and installed Win 7.   I think that's not very smart.    A better option would be to install something like Classic Shell, and enjoy the Win 8 performance without having to suffer Win 8 interface.

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,484
Like?
stick with Win 7 if possible...

raymb wrote:

party software. Are there any benefits in Win8 as an operating system that would make the switch worthwhile?

Not really.

Most performance tests show that the difference in speed between Windows 7 and Window is negligible (and IMO, is more likely to be due to newer drivers in Win 8 , versus OS improvements).

Windows 8 does have faster shutdown and startup speed. So, if you're using a laptop or happen to be shutting down and starting up your desktop frequently, that could be perceived as a benefit.

But,the faster shutdown and startup speed is mostly "smoke and mirrors", as Windows 8 is using something similar to the hibernate feature in Windows 7 to get the fast shutdown/startup speeds.

Personally, I'd make sure to disable that feature if using Windows 8 anyway, as if you're using any kind of dual boot config with another operating system, using "fast startup" with Windows 8 could potentially cause file system corruption. Here's a post on the subject:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

Here's another article on the subject;

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html?page=2

Now, I wouldn't go out of my way to use Windows 7 versus Windows 8 if buying a new machine and you don't have much choice, as there are some "work arounds" that let Windows 8 look and feel more like Windows 7. For example, here's one of the free solutions you can use:

Classic Shell for Windows:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Article about it:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-classic-shell.html

But, I would make sure to disable "fast boot" if you're using any kind of dual boot config to reduce the potential for file corruption, since by default, Windows 8 doesn't"really" perform a full shutdown and reload.

Again, the performance increase you get using Windows 8 is mostly "smoke and mirrors". So, unless you're using a laptop, or using another system system that's rebooted often, I would *not* consider Windows 8 to replace Windows 7.

Now, if you happen to find a good deal on a new machine with Windows 8 installed, I wouldn't avoid it if you can't find the same system with Win 7 installed.

But, if buying a machine with Win 8, I'd personally make sure to disable fast boot and use utilities like the free Classic Shell to make it work more like Windows 7, as IMO, Windows 8 is very bad in comparison for Desktop use without the use of third party utilities like Classic Shell.

Win 7 = pretty good desktop OS

Win 8 = very bad desktop OS, especially from a User Interface perspective (but, with third party utilities, you can make it work more like Windows 7)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

raymb
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
Re: Thanks for
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 10, 2013

All for the replies. I will be staying with Win7 .

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,238Gear list
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Jun 10, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

Windows 8 will benefit those that use touch screens, mainly tablets/laptops, reaching across ALL DAY to a touch screen on a desktop will prove tiresome!

Not even close and what a way to feed bad information. Have you even used Windows 8? On a desktop even?

You don't have to have a touch screen, Windows 8 works just fine on a desktop. I don't have a touchscreen on my desktop and the OS has been working great for the past 7-8 months using just a mouse and keyboard.  Just be prepared to use the Windows key more frequently.

The Metro/Tile interface is the Start menu now and it is where you first start up in. The desktop mode works just like it did on 7 minus a Start menu.

Multiple monitors is better on 8 than 7, the task bar is now available on both screens. The tile interface only pops up on one screen, the other is always in desktop mode. Switching between the two is quick and easy. The tile screen can be switched from one monitor or the other based on your preference.

A lot of the more advanced tools for administration is quickly available from the desktop by hover your mouse over the bottom left corner of the screen and right clicking.

The OS has been rock solid stable. It's has been quick and responsive and I have run into very few issues.

One of my few gripes isn't the Start menu (I don't miss it), but the gadgets. Sure, I can pin a tile to one side of my desktop (like the weather app) but you can only pin one at a time and it takes up a lot of real estate. I miss having a Weather, Calendar, and CoreTemp gadget on my desktop. My other gripe is that anything I install creates a new tile on the Start screen, but this has been resolved in 8.1.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
VirtualMirage
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 10, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

raymb wrote:

Many thanks in advance

Ray

AS near as I can tell it is Win7 optimised for touch at the expense of desktop users.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Nope, works just fine on a desktop with a mouse and keyboard.  It is a learning curve for those that chained themselves to the Start button, but it is easily functional without it.  I, personally, don't miss the Start button on my desktop.

While the new tile screen doesn't bother me, I do still work mostly in the desktop which is just one click away.  It would be nice if they gave the option to boot to desktop first for those the prefer that.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Glen Barrington
Like?
Specifically, what do you use Win 8 for? (nt)
In reply to VirtualMirage, Jun 10, 2013

What you lookin' here for?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Win 8 = very bad desktop OS

Typical BS FUD from Jim Cockfield.

For desktop user Win 8 is the same as Win 7 with some improvements:

- Secure booting ( no more rootkits )

- Better file copying with enchanced dialog, you can even pause it

- Better multimonitor support

- Better taskmanager

- Better virtual machine ( Hyper V vs Virtual PC )

- Better printing ( no need to install printer drivers )

VirtualMirage
Like?

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Win 8 = very bad desktop OS, especially from a User Interface perspective (but, with third party utilities, you can make it work more like Windows 7)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

I agree with most of what you said (the faster boot/shutdown and how it is a form of hibernation) except that last part, Windows 8 being a very bad desktop OS. To each their own, I guess. I don't find the Windows 8 desktop experience as very bad. For the most part, it works quite well for me and I have been enjoying using it. In some ways, better than 7 due to its improvements with multiple displays and other features. In summary: while there is a little bit of retraining to do, it is no worse than 7.

I don't miss the Start menu and have worked quite well without it. It creating new tiles for every new install is a bit annoying, but I believe that has been resolved in 8.1.

I do like the quick access to all my admin tools from the bottom left corner of the screen.

I do miss my gadgets, but they were a nicety and not a necessity.

I do agree that if someone already has 7, there isn't a strong recommendation to upgrade to 8. But that is because 7 is such a great OS already. The desktop experience (once in the desktop via a single click on 8) between the two is very similar.

But if someone is in the market for a new PC, I wouldn't tell them to avoid 8 like the plague or to uninstall 8 and put 7 on. Take a day or few to acclimate to it and discover the new features, and they will be fine.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage
Like?
Re: Specifically, what do you use Win 8 for? (nt)

Glen Barrington wrote:

What you lookin' here for?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

A little bit of everything: work and play.

I use it to RDP to my VMs on my server, I do a lot of photo editing (Lightroom and PSE mainly), play games occasionally (mostly via Steam), surf the internet (despite IE improvements, I prefer Chrome), do Office work (mainly Word, Excel, Outlook, and the occassional Visio), pay bills, listen to music, watch movies, etc.

Which brings me to my other pro and con of 8:

Pro:

The RDP app Microsoft offers is very nice.  I used to use RoyalTS to manage multiple sessions, but now I am happy to use this app.  Switching is easy and the tile interface with screenshots of each session makes for an easy to understand view.

Con:

The Hyper-V Management console only supports Server 2012 Hyper-V and will not support Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.  You can't even install the the older Hyper-V Management console.  It's a shame since I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work other than MS forcing us to upgrade, the interfaces are extremely similar.  While it doesn't ruin my daily activities, it is a little annoying that I now have to RDP to my Hyper-V server to manage my VMs.  Eventually I was going to upgrade my server to 2012, but not right at this moment.  Until then, I guess I will have to take the extra step or two.  The other option is a third party app, but it isn't that important for me to install one of those.

-- hide signature --

Paul

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Jun 10, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

- Better taskmanager

You W8 defenders sound exactly like the Microsoft sales team. Everything you list above has no bearing on my Windows7 experience speaking as an avid digital photographer. If I were shopping 8 versus staying 7 and I read your list, I'd yawn and laugh and stay with 7. Honestly, isn't that the crux of MS' problem? It just sounds like you and a few others are trying to sell the Edsel and the marketplace does NOT like the "look" of it, no matter what's under the hood.

Stan

Mike Curtis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?

I have Windows 8 on old Dell laptop (2007), old Dell desktop (2008), new laptop, and new custom built by me Photoshop computer.  It has worked great on all machines.  Boots up much faster for me than Windows 7.  And Windows 8 has more troubleshooting features when I have had issues which turned out to be bad NIC card. I like Windows 8 and with 8.1 update I think it will be even better.

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, Jun 10, 2013

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

- Better taskmanager

You W8 defenders sound exactly like the Microsoft sales team. Everything you list above has no bearing on my Windows7 experience speaking as an avid digital photographer. If I were shopping 8 versus staying 7 and I read your list, I'd yawn and laugh and stay with 7. Honestly, isn't that the crux of MS' problem? It just sounds like you and a few others are trying to sell the Edsel and the marketplace does NOT like the "look" of it, no matter what's under the hood.

And so many of you haters sound like there's some big man who comes to your house and makes you upgrade.  The things listed above ARE improvements over 7.  If you don't find them compelling enough to upgrade there is one very SIMPLE solution, just don't.

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to dradam, Jun 10, 2013

dradam wrote:

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

- Better taskmanager

You W8 defenders sound exactly like the Microsoft sales team. Everything you list above has no bearing on my Windows7 experience speaking as an avid digital photographer. If I were shopping 8 versus staying 7 and I read your list, I'd yawn and laugh and stay with 7. Honestly, isn't that the crux of MS' problem? It just sounds like you and a few others are trying to sell the Edsel and the marketplace does NOT like the "look" of it, no matter what's under the hood.

And so many of you haters sound like there's some big man who comes to your house and makes you upgrade. The things listed above ARE improvements over 7. If you don't find them compelling enough to upgrade there is one very SIMPLE solution, just don't.

You are hilarious, dude. Always good for a laugh.

Stan

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,520
Like?

I'm happy with Win8, but it wasn't love at first sight. After plodding around with the new UI for a couple of days, I installed Start is Back so I could work efficiently and learn to navigate the new OS at my leisure.

One of the things that helped sell me was that, using the same hardware, my self-authored Photoshop benchmark ran significantly faster on Win8 than on Win7. Given the other improvements already mentioned (security, task manager, file copy, etc.) I can't see myself ever gong back.

8 is gr8!

Glen Barrington
Like?
Most people are NOT upgrading. . .
In reply to dradam, Jun 10, 2013

And Microsoft finds that problematic.  Yet it somehow believes we will come around.  I don't think we will, I'm pretty sure I will not, I already have Unbutu loaded as a dual boot on my PC.  and if Linux doesn't have the applications I want, the Mac does. This appears to be at an impasse that I think Microsoft will ultimately back down from.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?
Re: Most people are NOT upgrading. . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

And Microsoft finds that problematic. Yet it somehow believes we will come around. I don't think we will, I'm pretty sure I will not, I already have Unbutu loaded as a dual boot on my PC. and if Linux doesn't have the applications I want, the Mac does. This appears to be at an impasse that I think Microsoft will ultimately back down from

MOST people DON'T upgrade, they get new operating systems with new hardware.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads