A57 Focus vs A 700

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions
Paige Wood
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
A57 Focus vs A 700
Jun 10, 2013

Hi Guys,

How does the AF in the A57 stack up against the A700. I am a vey happy A700 owner ( mainly family, travel and wildlife - birds ) but looking to ? go lighter. I know the hihg ISO in A57 is better, but what about AF, esp tracking.

Thanks a mil.

Cheers,

Tony

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: A57 Focus vs A 700
In reply to Paige Wood, Jun 10, 2013

Hi

I've just changed from A700 to A57 and while I haven't done any scientific tests my observations would be as follows - although I'm not a Birder !

1) Weight - only very slightly lighter than the A700, not really noticable !

2) I did take a few bird in flight shots a couple of weeks ago and would say that the A57 seems to lock on  a bit quicker and more accurately than the A700, but not a huge improvement.

3) When focussing on static objects I found it a bit annoying as it would sometimes/often select a point to lock onto that was a bit random/ off-centre / not where my eye was looking. Used spot focus for those situations. OK once I found the work-round it was OK, just slighty annoying !

Please note that these are my observations from relatively little use - others may have more in depth obseravtions.

Good luck

RT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paige Wood
Like?
In reply to DistantView, Jun 10, 2013

Thanks RT.

Tony

csxfan
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?

i have an a700 and was goning to get an a57 for my son. i took it back. i didnt notice any big differences over the a700, and what little i did, wasnt that big a deal. af seemed the same if not slower than the a700. the bigger thing to consider is, are you going to like the layout of the a57 controls. the 700 spoils you with the layout and ease of use, the 57 has you digging in the menu system. to me, that was the biggest turn off.

john

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?
In reply to csxfan, Jun 10, 2013

I have a700, a57 and a77

As others have said, a57 is a bit better in terms of AF than the a700. Incidentally, it has a nicer sensor..

The a77 is noticeably better and I get a lot more keepers, especially with moving targets such as wildlife, children, sports. Not what you asked I know, but just thought I'd let you know !

Marco

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
Paige Wood
Like?
In reply to csxfan, Jun 10, 2013

Hi John,

That's the bit that scares me. The 700 is the most user friendly camera I have owned. Generally because of a neck injury and some added hassles weight is becoming a problem, so I am taking it with me less and less ( has Tokina 28 -70 ATX pro 2.8 that doesn't help ). I thought if AF was much better on the 57 that may outweigh some of the other things.

Thanks for the input,

Tony

Paige Wood
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jun 10, 2013

Thank you. Appreciate the help

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?

Paige Wood wrote:

Thank you. Appreciate the help

No problem - to elaborate further, I found the AF-C mode on my a700 to be rather poor at tracking objects and it would confirm focus and allow the shutter to fire even when the target was out of focus. I have far less of a problem with this issue when using my a77 and even the a57 was better than the a700 in AF-C.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
emmanuelg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,599Gear list
Like?

Paige Wood wrote:

Hi John,

That's the bit that scares me. The 700 is the most user friendly camera I have owned. Generally because of a neck injury and some added hassles weight is becoming a problem, so I am taking it with me less and less ( has Tokina 28 -70 ATX pro 2.8 that doesn't help ). I thought if AF was much better on the 57 that may outweigh some of the other things.

Thanks for the input,

Tony

Paige,

I had the A700 for a long time. After I bought the A57, I sold the former because it was collecting dust. The A57 locks focus quick, lighter, better sensor as Marco said and others.

-- hide signature --

Emmanuel
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." - King Solomon

emmanuelg's gear list:emmanuelg's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,177Gear list
Like?

Paige Wood wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks for the input,

Tony

Since camera weight is an issue, and you like the 700, let me suggest you order a different strap configuration that takes the weight away from your neck. I have ordered the Joby Ultrafit sling slide strap (a different model for a man and a woman) that is worn cross shoulder with the camera carried at the hip, but easy/quick to slide the camera up to use. Connects via the tripod mount. Mine will be here in a couple of days, but ordered it at the recommendation of a professional who always uses it with his full-frame Canon. He and i were doing street photography at the time and I was impressed with it. It's also consumer rated 4.5 at B&H.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Canon EOS M +6 more
csxfan
Like?

The a57 is much lighter than a700, but i agree with geoffmalter, that a sling might be a plus for you. I use a sling and keep the camera tucked behind my left hip and can go all day without problems. my son borrowed it, and hasnt returned it yet, so i was forced to use the neck strap. big, big difference. gets noticeably heaver after time with the strap. now to toss a wrench in the mix, have you looked at an a55. i think its even lighter than the a57, some help here to verify would help this.

john

csxfan
Like?
In reply to emmanuelg, Jun 10, 2013

true, its a better camera, but the layout and build quality of the a700 imo is far better than the a57. plus for me the weather sealing is a nice option especially since i shoot outdoors a great deal. becomes a matter of shooting preferences. i cant go back to my a200 after having the a700. also, and this is me, i took an a57 on an acella/amtrak shoot, and found that the af was about the same for locking onto 100mph+ trains. just my experience with the cameras.

john

Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?

Paige Wood wrote:

Generally because of a neck injury and some added hassles weight is becoming a problem, so I am taking it with me less and less ( has Tokina 28 -70 ATX pro 2.8 that doesn't help ).

What kind of strap do you use?

The type of neck strap which is sold with the camera gives me neck problems even though I don't have any neck problems otherwise. Of course using heave lenses and a grip doesn't help.

With a traverse shoulder strap which is mounted in the tripod thread, I can walk around all day, almost without noticing the camera, and certainly without neck problems. There are a lot of vendors selling this type of strap. I use a Custom SLR which is quite good, but the one from Carryspeed seems even nicer. There is also Sun Sniper and Black Rapid.

Edit:

Beaten by geoffmalter with 2 hours. Next time I should read the full thread before replying.

Anyway, it is the same type of strap we are writing about.

Paige Wood
Like?
In reply to Allan Olesen, Jun 10, 2013

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I basically seldom use a strap - if I am in the bush in a vehicle it gets in the way, and walking around a function for eg, I prefer to just carry it on the grip, but with travel the strap is essential, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm also considering the 16.80 - it is half the wt of the Tokina.

Thanks again for the help,

Tony

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads