Painting my silver OMD to black? Anyone done it? Advises please?

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions
eljay0
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: Painting my silver OMD to black? Anyone done it? Advises please?
In reply to Gregm61, Jun 11, 2013

As posted above, get some 3M vinyl. I've used their 1080 line to wrap the interior of my car for a brushed aluminum look. Looks great and it was very easy to apply and is quite durable, and you can remove it when you feel like it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JM K Ken C
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, Jun 11, 2013

LMNCT wrote:

I thought that the multi color camera bodies were nuts, but painting a perfectly good camera body take the cake. How about pink or light blue? Use the camera...it is a tool, not a neclace! Go get yourself some sort of oddment to wear around your neck and give the camera a break!

It seems that there are some members who feel very strongly towards my intention to paint my silver camera black, with some comments that I feel expressed some uncalled for sarcasm.

I currently live in Bogota, Colombia. I love photography, especially street photography. However, there is a real threat and danger in shooting in a place like bogota where one should not carelessly flash out your camera as for example recently someone was killed on the street just for his mobile phone.  Since I cannot and will not bring out my 5dmk3 to the street, my omd is my nearest option, but for reason above, I have real concerns and therefore wish to find a practical solution without giving up on shooting.

So without saying much more, please don't judge others based on limited information. I asked a simple question politely for the purpose of photography and it is obvious that some seem to be unable to give a straight answer.  Anyhow.

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,637
Like?
In reply to JM K Ken C, Jun 11, 2013

JM K Ken C wrote:

LMNCT wrote:

I thought that the multi color camera bodies were nuts, but painting a perfectly good camera body take the cake. How about pink or light blue? Use the camera...it is a tool, not a neclace! Go get yourself some sort of oddment to wear around your neck and give the camera a break!

It seems that there are some members who feel very strongly towards my intention to paint my silver camera black, with some comments that I feel expressed some uncalled for sarcasm.

I currently live in Bogota, Colombia. I love photography, especially street photography. However, there is a real threat and danger in shooting in a place like bogota where one should not carelessly flash out your camera as for example recently someone was killed on the street just for his mobile phone. Since I cannot and will not bring out my 5dmk3 to the street, my omd is my nearest option, but for reason above, I have real concerns and therefore wish to find a practical solution without giving up on shooting.

So without saying much more, please don't judge others based on limited information. I asked a simple question politely for the purpose of photography and it is obvious that some seem to be unable to give a straight answer. Anyhow.

Well, if you want to minimise exposure of the camera there are other ways: you could cover the shiny parts with black tape, or even use a camouflage net. You could keep it near your body with a pancake, and flash it at the last moment.

And if you have leather artists in Bogota' you might have a tailor made black shell. I think the best for me is to keep the camera inside a vest most of the time. By the time you shoot, and hide again the camera nobody will notice, especially if you never bring the camera to your eye.

EDIT: since you live in a special town you could ask someone into 'recycling cars' if he feels confident enough to airbrush the shiny parts of your camera by using masks .

Am.

-- hide signature --
BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,753
Like?
So in Columbia, black cameras are of little value?
In reply to JM K Ken C, Jun 12, 2013

I read arguments about black cameras being less noticeable, but I don't really buy that. Most modern expensive cameras are black, wouldn't thieves be more inclined to watch for black cameras and perhaps think that silver ones are old and of low value, or like the cheap silver point and shoot digital cameras?

As to which would be seen more easily on the street, I'd suggest that depends on the time of day and what you're wearing. We're talking satin silver here with black over most of the camera. Not rhinestones. Perhaps you should start wearing camo and paint the camera to match?

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

ken224
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

I have done it. Not E-M5 but an old OM2-SP. I did not change the colour, just re-painted it.

Many years ago I had bought a used OM2-SP as a spare body. It was badly scratched and this bothered me somewhat. I had some spare time and was prepared to experiment. And I paid very little for the body.

I stripped the camera (peeled the leatherette, disassembled the panels, removed all plastic parts). I needed the repair manual to do it properly.

Then I stipped the old flaking paint.

I used powder coating (matte black) to cover the panels and bake them. I even filled the lettering with white paint and the "SPOT-PROGRAM" with green.

Reassembled, and the camera was looking like new. Better then new because many years later the paint is still prisitne. No flaking, not chipping. Seems like Olympus could have used powder coating instead of paint if they wanted to make durable cameras. But what do I know...

So ask yourself:

• Is it worth the effort?
  • Are all parts to be coated metal and can be baked?
  • Do you have repair manual to guide you through disassembly?
  • Do you have access to powder coating technlology?
  • Is it cheaper and easier to sell or swap for a black model?

Good luck.

ken224's gear list:ken224's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?

There's a million black cameras out there, including my D800, but there is only one classic looking silver camera that recalls the days of my beautiful Olympus OM1.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to amalric, Jun 12, 2013

amalric wrote:

JM K Ken C wrote:

LMNCT wrote:

I currently live in Bogota, Colombia. I love photography, especially street photography. However, there is a real threat and danger in shooting in a place like bogota where one should not carelessly flash out your camera as for example recently someone was killed on the street just for his mobile phone. Since I cannot and will not bring out my 5dmk3 to the street, my omd is my nearest option, but for reason above, I have real concerns and therefore wish to find a practical solution without giving up on shooting.

So without saying much more, please don't judge others based on limited information. I asked a simple question politely for the purpose of photography and it is obvious that some seem to be unable to give a straight answer. Anyhow.

Well, if you want to minimise exposure of the camera there are other ways: you could cover the shiny parts with black tape, or even use a camouflage net. You could keep it near your body with a pancake, and flash it at the last moment.

And if you have leather artists in Bogota' you might have a tailor made black shell. I think the best for me is to keep the camera inside a vest most of the time. By the time you shoot, and hide again the camera nobody will notice, especially if you never bring the camera to your eye.

EDIT: since you live in a special town you could ask someone into 'recycling cars' if he feels confident enough to airbrush the shiny parts of your camera by using masks .

Yes, an airbrush artist would be the best way to go about it.  They have the experience / patience to apply spray appropriately, with control.  A proper masking I'd imagine though to be the bulk of the labor.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 746Gear list
Like?

Very likely to damage something doing this. Put it out of your mind.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Jun 12, 2013

Gregm61 wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

congratulations on starting the daftest thread I've seen in 8 years on these forums

Read some of BobT's questions. Your opinion would probably change.

Such an easy target, too easy. . .  beneath you easy.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
boyzo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,516
Like?

Yes I did it on a Dark Druken night

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?

JM K Ken C wrote:

LMNCT wrote:

For stealth while street shooting in a potentially dangerous area you might be better off using a smaller camera like the E-Pl5 (in Black) The flip out LCD can be used to shoot without bringing the camera to the eye. It also has a few features that the E-M5 lacks like the ability to assign mysets to positions on the mode dial and smaller AF areas. Keep the camera in a pocket or inside your coat/jacket when not actually shooting with it.

As for the sarcasm, I am afraid you just have to endure that on these forums. Develop a thick skin and ignore it. You have to sift through a lot of chaff here to find the grain but there's no point getting upset by it.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Don't do it...put it on Ebay...

A camera is not like a car.  You can't mask off certain areas and spray on a new coat.  Assuming you could, getting black paint to adhere to the E-M5's smooth surface is going to be tricky (i.e., if not done right, the black paint will just peel).

Unless you are a photographing highly reflective object, I can't imagine camera color have any relevance at all.  Body color is only aesthetics and how cool you think the camera looks?  (Personally I prefer the silver as most Olympus lenses are silver and the camera looks more like the original OM).

Anyway, I would urge you not to try painting your camera.  Just pack up all the accessories, photograph your camera and put it on Ebay.  When it sells you'll have close to enough money in your PayPal to purchase a black EM-5.

Good luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Jun 12, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

Yes, an airbrush artist would be the best way to go about it. They have the experience / patience to apply spray appropriately, with control. A proper masking I'd imagine though to be the bulk of the labor.

..and an excellent way of testing the weather sealing!

I always had my chrome Leica M3 covered with black electrical tape, and I do the same with the white or silver lettering on my OMD - I leave the silver edges to the controls, though.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?

JM K Ken C wrote:

Hi, I was one of the first omd buyers and when I got it they only had a silver version available even though I really wanted a black. So I have been wondering how I might be able to paint the silver OMD to black, if anyone has done it, what kind of paint or process is involved?

Thanks.

www.kenchiphotography.com

You have got to be kidding?

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, Jun 12, 2013

Iif you really want to throw off thieves, maybe slap a few ugly stickers on there, or get an ugly old camera strap from the 70s. Make it look like it's not worth stealing. I think putting black gaffers tape on the camera might work too- cover up the silver while making the camera appear older and more worn. Heck, maybe get a red or pink E-PM1 or E-PM2- they look like toys.

Professional thieves WILL see your gear if they're looking for it- its their job. Having a black camera will not hide it from them. Your best bet is making them think they don't want it.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,205
Like?
Don't do it

JM K Ken C wrote:

Hi, I was one of the first omd buyers and when I got it they only had a silver version available even though I really wanted a black. So I have been wondering how I might be able to paint the silver OMD to black, if anyone has done it, what kind of paint or process is involved?

Thanks.

www.kenchiphotography.com

Don't recommend it.

Unless you have experience in manufacturing these types of things, you are likely to screw it up and make it look a lot worse. Trust me, I've been there (although not with a digital camera).

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,205
Like?
What thieves REALLY want
In reply to rpm40, Jun 12, 2013

rpm40 wrote:

Iif you really want to throw off thieves, maybe slap a few ugly stickers on there, or get an ugly old camera strap from the 70s. Make it look like it's not worth stealing. I think putting black gaffers tape on the camera might work too- cover up the silver while making the camera appear older and more worn. Heck, maybe get a red or pink E-PM1 or E-PM2- they look like toys.

Professional thieves WILL see your gear if they're looking for it- its their job. Having a black camera will not hide it from them. Your best bet is making them think they don't want it.

What thieves REALLY want are not cameras, but iPhones and iPads. They are much easier to resell on the black market.  Don't you read the news?

Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Nice photography!

I went and took a quick look at your website, and enjoyed many of your pictures. The people here responding with sarcasm or 'smart' comments clearly made some incorrect assumptions.

Dorus

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads